1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA Sabbath keeping?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, May 22, 2015.

1. vooks

vooks Active Member

My friend,I esteem all days alike, just worship corporately on Sunday's because of expediency.

Deuteronomy 5 is a record of the Ten Commandments. Here unlike in Exodus 20, the BASIS for sabbath is deliverance from Egypt not creation.

Sabbath is as valid for a Christian as circumcision

2. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Until you notice that I was quoting the Bible - that is.

Lev 23:1-4 it is a day of "holy Convocation".
    Is 66:23 - "From Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to bow down in worship" -- for all eternity in the New Heavens and New Earth.

Those texts were not as hard for us all to read as you may have first imagined.

I will stick with the bible on this one.

Your idea of trying line-judge all who do keep the Sabbath is seems a bit short sighted. You have to first know what the Sabbath is.

in Christ,

Bob

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

You can't hide behind Scripture--all of it either with no context or taken out of context.
    You don't live in a world where all "mankind is bowing down to Christ." Neither do you live in the new earth. So why do you quote scripture relevant to that time?
    Even if you do, there is no command to keep the Sabbath.
    And simply by quoting such a scripture, does not even come close to answering my question. It has nothing to do with it. It is a red herring.

How (not why), HOW, do you observe the Sabbath day in a Biblical way.
    The answer--You don't.
    In fact you don't know how to observe the Sabbath, and your answer demonstrated that.

4. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Very impressive. <<I esteem>>.

Very convenient. <<because of Sunday's expediency>>.

Very certain. <<Sabbath is as valid for a Christian as circumcision>>

Very biased i.e., anti-Christ. <<<Deuteronomy 5 is a record of the Ten Commandments. Here unlike in Exodus 20, the BASIS for sabbath is deliverance from Egypt not creation.>>>

So it's <<creation>> versus <<deliverance>> and both <creation> and <deliverance> versus "JESUS having given the People of God (God's) Rest" --having RAISED FROM THE DEAD-- "THEREFORE keeping of the Sabbath remains".

"THEREFORE..." because God raised Christ from the dead "ON THE SABBATH".

But that is GOD, esteeming one day above and before any other;

But that has no convenience and no expediency for anyone the same as certainly circumcision has no convenience or expediency for anyone.

Beautiful Poeksie! Beautiful. Party your Sundays! God must love that kind of worship.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Ephesians 6:10-17 says it is the Armor of God -

Far from me to discard it and settle instead for all-ad-hominem fluff the way two or three have done recently.

That is true - lots of rebellion on this planet - is rebellion some sort of "disproof of scripture"???

1. Eternity in the New Earth is -- "After the cross". So no after-cross delete!
    2. It shows that even in the OT the purpose, scope, application of the Sabbath was "all mankind" explicit in the text.
    3. Even the majority of Pro-SUNDAY scholarship accepts this Bible detail about the Ten Commandments (including the 4th) as applicable to ALL mankind in BOTH the OT and the post-cross NT.

There is in the actual Bible.

Even the majority of Pro-SUNDAY scholarship accepts this Bible detail about the Ten Commandments (including the 4th) as applicable to ALL mankind in BOTH the OT and the post-cross NT.

Lev 23:1-3 speaks to WHAT shall be done on Sabbath
    Ex 20:8-11 speaks to WHAT shall be done on Sabbath
    Is 66:23 speaks to WHAT shall be done on Sabbath.
    Is 58:13 speaks to WHAT shall be done on Sabbath.
    Mark 2 speaks to WHAT shall be done on Sabbath

WHAT shall be done on Sabbath - answers HOW to keep the Sabbath.

You make such false factless accusations "as if" you have established some credibility for yourself in that area. Why??

in Christ,

Bob

6. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

a total non sequitor. What has that got to do with the Sabbath keeping?
    Of course. The world doesn't keep the Sabbath. But the verse you quoted out of context says all the world does. So you have a blatant contradiction.
    I am not speaking of the beliefs of other men; I am speaking of what the Bible says. You don't seem to care about what the Scriptures says. Neither do you care about how the scriptures apply to you personally.

You still haven't answered the question (and apparently cannot) :
    HOW, do you observe the Sabbath day in a Biblical way.
    How does it apply to you? Do you know? See my above question. Answer it.
    Do you answer to men or the Bible?
    You cannot answer to the Bible. You have not answered to the Bible. You refuse to answer the Bible. What is up with that? An SDA cannot explain how the Bible applies to him. Amazing isn't it? Let me repeat:

Let me repeat the question:
    --Quoting scripture is not enough. It is the application of scripture that is needed.
    Let me repeat the question:

It is a fact. You have not answered this question. This is not "factless" as you claim. You refuse to answer this question. Why? Because you do not keep the Sabbath, according to the Bible. You cannot. And therefore you do not answer this question. You know I am right.

7. vooks

vooks Active Member

DHK,
    don't get worked up by cultists. They are well trained to be obtuse and dumb when they run into contradictions, when they go off script. They can either flee or throw vague scriptures and insist the same answer your question when they don't.

BobRyan is cornered. You will never extract any explanation or answer from him. He will repeat those verses forever to exasperate you. No different from a kid shutting their ears and shouting at you so they can't hear you talking to them. When an otherwise sober debater suddenly resorts to these tactics, know for a truth they are out of their depth.

Here are some things no Adventist will NEVER dare explain yet they believe them with all their guts;
    1. COMMANDMENTS is a term always referring to the Ten Commandments
    2. Blood of a sin sacrifice transfers sins onto the Holy of Holies/Sanctuary
    3. There are moral and ceremonial laws and the Ten Commandments are moral laws

#27 vooks, Jun 3, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

#28 BobRyan, Jun 3, 2015
  9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

10. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Bob Ryan said:
    Here is how the Sabbath was kept:
    Check here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabbat
    It is doubtful that the SDA's do anything remotely similar to this.

Following the Scriptures as closely as possible the modern day Jew observes the Sabbath in this manner:
    http://www.jewfaq.org/shabbat.htm

Does Bob keep the Sabbath? It is very doubtful.

11. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Now DHK. I'm sure that Bob follows it. I'm sure he doesn't even use electricity on the sabbath. That has the potential to violate 3 or 4 sabbath categories. I'm sure his house is cold and dark on those winter sabbath months. :)

Well....technically I guess he can turn all his lights on and heat on*(before sabbath starts), but he needs to be sure nothing shuts off*(until after sabbath). The heat needs to run none stop. Could get toasty.

Electricity

Main article:*Electricity on Shabbat

Orthodox and some Conservative authorities rule that turning*electric*devices on or off is prohibited as a*melakhah; however, authorities are not in agreement about exactly which one(s). One view is that tiny sparks are created in a switch when the circuit is closed, and this would constitute lighting a fire (category 37). If the appliance is purposed for light or heat (such as an*incandescent bulb*or electric oven), then the lighting or heating elements may be considered as a type of fire that falls under both lighting a fire (category 37) and cooking (i.e., baking, category 11). Turning lights off would be extinguishing a fire (category 36).

#31 McCree79, Jun 3, 2015
  12. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

A couple of years ago, where I live, one day in winter we were the coldest place on the planet. In Fahrenheit (with the windchill), it hit minus 70. Do you think the SDA's would last here without electricity. Our daylight is very short at that time of year also.

13. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Haha. Maybe they all should move to Victoria, Canada and San Diego,California :)

14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no Sabbath Rest without the heat from the "ALL-EXCEEDING GREATNESS OF GOD'S POWER which He GENERATED IN CHRIST WHEN HE RAISED HIM FROM THE DEAD AND EXALTED HIM FAR ABOVE ALL POWER."

How strange, that Seventh-day Adventists refuse to make use of THIS "SUPREME ENERGY OF GOD" specifically "on the Sabbath"!

#34 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 3, 2015
  15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

16. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    - D.L. Moody notices that some are opposed to the Sabbath Commandment - but notice how this sermon on the TEN Commandments also fits the summary of 7 points listed here on page 1??

BY THE
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]DWIGHT L. MOODY[/FONT][/FONT]​
    The Ten Commandments:
    Exodus 20:2-17
    The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.

[FONT=&quot]THERE HAS BEEN an awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day, and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was[/FONT][FONT=&quot]- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes;

[FONT=&quot]=====================================================

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Question - how then does D.L. Moody end his sermon [FONT=&quot]section on the 4th Commandment[FONT=&quot]?

[FONT=&quot]Does anyone know[FONT=&quot]?

[FONT=&quot]in Christ,

[FONT=&quot]Bob[/FONT]
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It doesn't matter how he ended it. He is only a man. He wasn't even a Baptist. He was an evangelist with perhaps a grade five education. But he did do well for himself.
    Either way his words are not inspired.

Your problem is that you have no way to answer post #30 and thus have not touched it.
    Therefore my assertion stands: You do not keep the Sabbath. The SDA movement is nothing but hypocrisy. They play a game of keeping the Sabbath. They say one thing and do another. They don't have any intent on keeping the Sabbath. If you did keep the Sabbath you would put a lot more effort into it, but it is too much "work" (oh the irony)!

But you don't keep the Sabbath, and it is likely that you never will.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Be honest - wouldn't it "matter more" to you had he ended or summarized his point in favor of your argument. He IS after all a pro-Sunday source.

Then maybe you are safe to "assume" that nobody cares if he differs with your problematic solution to this subject.

As they may also not care about the "Baptist Confession of Faith"

Or the "Westminster Confession of Faith".

or Matthew Henry,

or R.C Sproul,

or C. Hadden Spurgeon

or any of a vast group of other pro-Sunday sources that all condemn your particular solution to the Sabbath Commandment problem for Sunday keepers.

Or - maybe you are wrong.

in Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    UNTIL you read this.

And THIS

in Christ,

Bob

#39 BobRyan, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2015
  20. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It really doesn't matter if he considered Saturday or Sunday as the Sabbath. He urged people to attend church on Sunday. I also go to church on Sunday. That is the extent of it. That is not keeping the Sabbath. Even if Moody claims it is keeping the Sabbath, it isn't. Moody is wrong.
    Keeping the Sabbath involves much more just as I described to you in a previous post. But you won't address that post will you?
    I don't have the problem. I am not the one that is wrong. I don't "pretend" about keeping the Sabbath. The Sabbath is not for today. The Sabbath was never given to Gentile believers and you have never been able to demonstrate that it has. Never have you been able to point to any NT command for a believer to keep the Sabbath.

And indeed you do not keep the Sabbath as I have demonstrated in a previous post. But you won't address that will you?