1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured SDA Sabbath keeping?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, May 22, 2015.

1. vooks

vooks Active Member

DHK,
    I told you the cultists know how to play dumb and obtuse
    Here is their sabbath keeping manual
    Funny they say they should not lay rules but proceed to exactly that. As usual, their reference point is the INFALLIBLE interpreter of New and Old Testament, Pope Ellen White

http://www.adventist.org/en/informa...ts/documents/article/go/0/sabbath-observance/

*Hope you know Spirit of Prophecy is Pope White's writings

#61 vooks, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2015
  2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Sabbath worship was different in the OT than in the NT. Near the end of the OT period the Jews went into captivity and the Temple was destroyed. In the intertesamental period some serious changes took place:
    That is when the rise of the Pharisees and Sadducees took place.
    That is when synagogues began to be built, primarily as places of instruction. The Temple was destroyed. But even when it was rebuilt the synagogues continued, not primarily for worship, but instruction. For example, true Jewish worship (the Day of Pentecost) was always at the Temple.

Given the above information one must look in the OT only (not in the synagogues) for OT worship. Where are there examples in the OT for actual "worship" done on the Sabbath Day in the OT? That must be provided.

Yet the SDA link says:
    From where in the Bible does one get this. It comes from SDA "tradition", the tradition of men, so strongly condemned in the Bible. It has no Biblical basis in Scripture.

A study of Scripture would lead one to conclude that the Sabbath was a day of rest, not of worship.

This one is interesting. I wonder if all SDA's obey it:
    This is law. But it is not the law of the OT or the NT. It is man-made law.
    It is not the observance of the Sabbath according to the Bible.
    The closest I have read is in post #30 which Bob refuses to answer.
    Amazing! or perhaps embarrassing?

3. vooks

vooks Active Member

DHK,
    All I can say is, these are not merely suggestions; this is the LAW OF SABBATH and our dear Bob is bound.

4. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Not so vooks

1 COR. 7 [19] Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

5. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Can you point to one specific law in the NT where it binds Christians to keep the Sabbath Day, just one?

6. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

Just posted this on different thread DHK

HEBREWS 4 [10] For HE THAT IS ENTERED INTO HIS REST, he also hath ceased from his own works, AS GOD DID FROM HIS. [11] Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Well...Ya see what it says. Now lets see how God rested from His work

HEBREWS 4 [4] For he spake in a certain place of THE SEVENTH DAY on this wise, And GOD DID REST THE SEVENTH DAY from all his works

Yup. God rested the 7th day. The sabbath day. If you do not enter into that rest, the scripture says its due to unbelief

And we are told all through the new testament to keep Gods 10 commandments. You know the 4th

7. vooks

vooks Active Member

So you reckon these verses are telling believers to keep sabbath?

you are told to keep commandments which you ASSUME to be the Ten

#67 vooks, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2015
  8. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

to your first question. Thats what i reckon

As to the 2nd question

MATTHEW 19 [16] And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? [17] And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. [18] He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, [19] Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Jesus himself tells me we are to keep the commandments. The 10. No need to assume. Just believe the Lord

9. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

The Question asked:
    What shall I do to inherit eternal life?

The answer given:
    If you will enter into life keep the commandments.

Now, the question is:
    Did this young man keep faithfully all the commandments? Yes or no.
    According to Jesus words, is he in heaven?

10. Chowmah

Chowmah Member

No. We all have fallen short. Is he in heaven? Theres a problem here DHK. I believe the scripture below

John 3:13 (KJV)
    13 And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God bless you for your wise answer

12. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Why must you look to the Seventh-day Adventists for an answer?

Why must you look to man, at all?

Why not look at "the Lord of the Sabbath the Son of Man" the Son of, God?

Then here is the perfect answer . . .
    You will find it in many places ---in “all the Scriptures”--- but here is one example, Romans 1:1-6, HOW CHRIST OBTAINED HIS LORDSHIP . . .

“Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ called an apostle separated to the Gospel of God which He promised beforehand through his prophets in Holy Scripture concerning his Son according to the flesh made of the seed of David designated and declared Son of God with Power in accordance to the Spirit of Holiness BY RESURRECTION from the dead, Jesus Christ our Lord through whom we received grace and (Paul), apostleship unto obedience of faith among all nations for the worship of His Name among whom also are ye the Called of God— all those called holy, God’s beloved ones . . . Grace unto you and peace from God our Father and of the Lord Jesus Christ.”

That is why and how Jesus the Anointed of the Almighty God became “Lord”— “Lord of the Sabbath”; and the Sabbath became, “the Lord’s Day” --- by “all the WORKS OF GOD” having been “wrought / perfected / finished on the Seventh Day” and “Sabbath OF THE LORD GOD”—“of the Lord, YOUR, God”.
    Mark: God “finished” through Jesus Christ our Lord, ultimately through He having RAISED Christ from the dead—, “on the Sabbath”! Which is all and everything that gives the worship of God’s People on Sabbaths, meaning and worth.

Which also is why anti-Christ STOLE the Sabbath’s gift of grace and wrapped the day of its own choice and design in it.

Now the irony is, the Seventh-day Adventists do exactly the same as Sunday-worshipping does.

#72 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 12, 2015
  13. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    DHK nevertheless the gloves perfectly fit both hands of Christianity which from very soon after its beginning, worshipped on Sundays.

And the Reformation advocated the above principles and much <stricter> and more senseless ones, more than ever.

And Sunday keepers TODAY, apply these 'principles' stricter than ever before and more narrow-mindedly and more judgmental vis a vis the very existence of the only true Scriptural Sabbath Day.

These are the bare, facts proven through the centuries before computers and after, since computers and internet, ad infinitum.

Computers seem to have made books and especially the Scriptures, obsolete. You're backward if you still hold to "The Word" and nothing than "The Word".

#73 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 12, 2015
  14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And I shall be extra careful when it comes to company in argument.

15. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then the Baptist Confession of Faith and D.L. Moody differ with that quote?

(I do love to debunk your "only SDAs notice this..." argument)

UNTIL they read Is 66:23 and Lev 23:3-4

As apparently D.L. Moody did. Have I not quoted him recently -- or do you claim he is SDA and that is why he takes that view?

in Christ,

Bob

16. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

And I believe Gen.1:1 too. The problem with both of these verses is they have nothing to do with this discussion. Follow again:

I said: "There is not a single verse anywhere in the NT that commands a believer to keep the Sabbath."

Your reply:
    I replied, both in the light of your response, and in the light of the story of the rich young ruler that you referenced:
    Now John 3:13 has nothing to do with this passage.

Based on this incident and what Jesus has told us, will this man be in heaven.
    Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, was Jesus giving us the plan of salvation as well?

17. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Do you think any Baptist would ever agree with the SDA official statement?
    Surely you jest! Yes, they differ greatly.
    However, I am not here to defend them. My arguments come from the Word, not from men. Again, you must refer to other men's works for your defense. From the Word of God you have no defense. You just avoid it. It is a pity, really!
    But you don't. In fact you haven't told one person on this board how you "keep" the Sabbath. For a professed SDA that is quite amazing. Or perhaps you are not an SDA after all. It seems you don't have a clue what they do.
    The above is your response to my statement:

A study of Scripture would lead one to conclude that the Sabbath was a day of rest, not of worship.

You don't make any sense. You infer I haven't read scripture, which is wrong.
    Reading Moody has no bearing on this subject. Your incessant posting of him is totally irrelevant.
    And what your post said doesn't answer my statement.

18. vooks

vooks Active Member

If the rest of Hebrews 4 is the weekly sabbath,
    Hebrews 4:8 (ESV)
    8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken of another day later on.

why does the text say we are to enter a rest that none of the Jews at the time of Joshua in the promised land ever experienced in this verse?

19. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    <<the rest of Hebrews>> - 'heh katapausis' is "the Rest-OF-GOD"—"Jesus"; not <<the weekly sabbath>> and not <Joshua>.

And not <<at the time of Joshua in the promised land>>.

Since when was <Joshua> “after David”?!

But "in these last days ... THE SON ... BY whom ... God spake unto US".

#79 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2015
  20. vooks

vooks Active Member

You are wise.
    Hebrews 4 is not a call to keep sabbath. Context, syntax,grammar...all scream against this