1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA's and Abortion

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by targus, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How technical shall we become? The Bible says human life begins with the first breath. So, if the infant has taken a breath than it would surely be murder.

I wish the Bible were expressedly clear concerning abortion, but it isn't. Now why not address my questions posted above?

The American Heritage Dictionarey defines fetus as:

In humans, the unborn young from the end of the eighth week after conception to the moment of birth, as distinguished from the earlier embryo.

2. targus

targus New Member

Pesky details?

You say that the doctrine taught is "thou shalt not murder" but the offical "guidelines" then say that murdering the unborn is ok sometimes.

Why would the SDA give guidelines which conflict with Scripture and God's Commandments?

As you say... a pesky detail.

3. targus

targus New Member

This is surreal.

You talk about the clarity of abortion as murder and at the same time your SDA denomination tells it's members that abortion is ok.

Why don't you just admit that the SDA "guidelines" that condone abortion are simply contrary to Scripture and God's Commands and condemn them rather that double talking your way around this.

Is abortion ever not murder?
    If so under what circumstances?
    What scripture backs it up?

4. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't defend "opions" of various SDAs that I think are wrong -- either here or to them directly.

How is that confusing??

I only support the ACTUAL doctrinal statements of the Church --

seems clear enough to me.

If you are asking if I whine and complain to denominational Administrators about these "individual opinions" that get published on denominational sites from time to time -- that are wrong -- the answer is "yes I do".

in Christ,

Bob

5. Joe

Joe New Member

He did condemn the SDA's beliefs by stating his own. Why ask him if he views it as murder? He already stated his beliefs

6. Joe

Joe New Member

Abortion is morally wrong because it is morally wrong to murder a person made in the image and likeness of God.
    Ge. 9:5-6; Ex. 20:13; 21:12, 14, 22-23; 23:7; Le. 24:17; Nu. 35:31; De. 5:17; 27:25

From the moment of conception, an unborn baby is a distinct person made in the image and likeness of God. God forms a person in the womb, not a non-person.
    Job 10:8-12; 31:15; 34:19; Ps. 139:12-19; Is. 49:1,5; Jer. 1;5

David was a person from the moment of his conception Ps. 51:5

Job was a person from the moment of his conception Job 3:3
    John the Baptist was a person while in his mother's womb Lk. 1:13-17, 39-44. 

God calls some people to His future service while they are yet in the womb Isa.49:1,5; Jer. 1:5; Lk. 1:13-17

God hates "hands that shed innocent blood" Pr. 6:17

7. targus

targus New Member

So the offical guidelines published at the offical website of the General Conference of the SDA is simply a collection of "opinions" of various SDA's?

Even though the site says they are "statements and guidelines discussed, approved and voted by the church leadership since 1980"?

8. targus

targus New Member

I ask because in another thread he said that the life of the mother superceeds the life of the unborn child.

I asked him at that time for Scripture to back it up and he did not provide it.

I am also trying to discover what other exceptions he would allow for when it comes to killing the unborn.

9. Joe

Joe New Member

The life of the mother can, under very rare circumstances, superceed the life of the child. To my knowledge, scripture is absent upon this. So we're left with doing what is best for the common good. Consider what would further God's will under the authority of the scripture we do have.

#29 Joe, Feb 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2008
  10. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

So, are you saying that life does not begin until that child takes a breath of air?
    So, are you saying that the intaking of air (Oxygen, Carbon dioxide, Argon, methane and all the other ingredients) is what constitues a human soul?
    Show me by the Bible where it says that this is so.
    Where does the Bible say that human life begins with a first breath?
    If it is by breath then a dog contains the same soul that I posses and Christ died for the both of us.

Then with the above logic we can say that this is not a viable human life then.
    Luke1:31
    31And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

>The life that the man must pay for with his life is the mother's life, not the fetus. And the Bible says if a man strive to hurt a woman. It is a stretch to say that means a medical abortion.

If a man intends to do harm it is a property crime but if the purpose is to help the woman then it is murder?

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I stand by that -- btw.

If the mother's life is at risk such that this is a choice between the life of the mother and the life of the Baby -- bye bye baby - we shall meet in heaven.

13. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    that is true.

That would be a case of taking an action that is going to cost the life of one person or the other person -- God does not command - "you can not choose to save the mother".

14. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

If one kills an unborn child, it is murder. If the mother does not survive the birthing process, that is God's will.

15. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

Nope that is not what the Bible says.
    Then again in post #17

16. targus

targus New Member

Your scriptural support for this?

What other exceptions listed in the "offical guidelines" do you accept? In the case of rape? Incest? Emotional well being of the mother?

Since the SDA is supposedly sola scriptura you would think that there should be Bible verses to back up the SDA position on this.

#36 targus, Feb 26, 2008
  17. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Thanks for the clarification.

18. Joe

Joe New Member

When our Soldiers invade a Country which has not attacked us personally we don't call it murder. In fact, we salute them (This is not to be taken as if I don't support the troops). They are willing to risk their life for ours :praying: yet we know in the process, many of our troops killed other innocent men, even Christian men.

Death row inmates are put to death yet we usually don't consider it murder either. Not all deliberate killings are murder imo

A scinereo

A Christian foster mother of two very tough children with medical issues becomes pregnant. She learns her baby will be born with not only birth defects & abnormalities but will likely endure a very short life span marred with horrific pain. A vegetable....

She get's into a car accident, and there is no time to save both of their lives, yet somehow they learn if she gives birth, she will certainly die.
    Docs tend to the Mother's health first, and with her consent, she decides to abort the baby right then.
    The Foster kids with have severe medical and mental issues have their mother back who cares and loves them deeply instead of being placed in an hospital like institutional setting (which usually happens in our area to the Vegetable type humans). This mother cared enough to save herself for the sake of her two special needs kids and to prevent her own baby from living a short life of hell on earth.

#38 Joe, Feb 26, 2008
  19. Palatka51

Palatka51 New Member

And this is why different judgments are determined. God's Word is sufficient for all things that this life has to offer.
    This mother would be very courages IMHO.

20. targus

targus New Member

So far you have provided no scripture to back up your denominations acceptance of abortion.

SDA claim to be sola scriptura...