1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SDA's and the Sabbath

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Inquiring Mind, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inquiring Mind

Inquiring Mind New Member

Since Seventh Day Adventists are literalists when it comes reading the bible.

Do the SDAs here at this board follow the sabbath strictly?

I would imagine that an SDA can not be a sports fan of any type since this act would be contributing to the act of not keep the Sabbath Holy.

I would imagine also that an SDA can not go out to eat on Saturday since this would contribute to the act of causing others to not keep the Sabbath Holy.

I would imagine that would have to make sure their gas tank has sufficient gas their gas tanks to preclude them from stopping by the gas station on the way to or on the way from church.

I would imagine they have to abstain from doing in shopping on Saturday as well since this would contribute to those not keeping the Sabbath.

I ALSO WONDER WHAT THEY DO ABOUT UTILITIES ON THE SABBATH.

I would imagine they would have to turn off all electricity using items including the refrigerator, afterall somebody has to work on Saturday to provide this amenity.

I would also imagine that they can't turn on a water faucet either since someone has to work on Saturday to keep the water flowing.

I would also imagine the Church Service on Saturday would have to go without Utilities as well, if they want to be true to their beliefs?

What do you think?

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I don't know about SDA but when you posted about little things that seemed to pick at thier beliefs... these scriptures came to mind.

Mat 12:1
    At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

Mat 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
    Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
    Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
    Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.

Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
    Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Mat 12:11
    And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
    Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:

If the SDA worship on Saterday who are we to judge how they decide to do it? I guess it all boils down to if it is bibical. :flower:

3. Inquiring Mind

You should know about them.

They condemn every denomination that does recognize Saturday as the proper day of worship of God.

They call all of us "Apostate Churches"

They claim that we all drink of the "Cup of Fornication".

Do you really want to defend them?

4. music4Him

music4Him New Member

:laugh: People condemn me for alot of things, but praise God for the blood of Jesus! :thumbs: I know a few SDA's and never had they said this to me. You really must have an issue with SDA? I also believe that the sabbath is Saterday. I figure the Lord will straighten it all out and set us straight on alot of things when he returns.

Rom 8:1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
    2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

5. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    We got all our info from Seventh-day Baptists -- ask them!

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  6. Inquiring Mind

Join a SDA forum like SDAIssues at Yahoo Groups and see what they talk about. You will be shocked.

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Genesis 2 :: New American Standard Bible (NASB)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.
    2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

The "Seventh day" designation - just as we see "the sixth day" or fifth or fourth - etc.

The lack of "evening and morning" reference in Gen 2 matches the lack of evening and morning reference to ALL 7 days of creation in the summary account given by God in Exodus 20:8-11 of the events of Gen 1-2:3. So we must not argue some supposed
    doctrine from the void of what the text does not say and conjure up a "distinction
    without a difference" regarding the usage of evening and morning.

The word for 'rested' is "sabat" (Strongs 7673a- )used in connection with Sabbath - repeatedly in the OT. A religious act of worship/rest.

As in Exodus 16:30 "the people rested on the seventh day"

Note - 7676 Shabbath from 7673a = "Sabbath" - exclusively in scripture as we see it
    in the summary of Exodus 20:8-11 where God summarizes the Gen 1-2:3
    account.

3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

Again repeating the "sabat" emphasis.

Here God provides the authoritative example of rest and tells us this day is to be "set aside" - for it already has been - by God "sanctified".

Jamieson, Fausset, Brown

Col 2:16

16. therefore--because ye are complete in Christ, and God in Him has dispensed with all subordinate means as essential to acceptance with Him.
    meat . . . drink--Greek, "eating . . . drinking" (
    Ro 14:1-17). Pay no regard to any one who sits in judgment on you as to legal observances in respect to foods.
    holyday--a feast yearly. Compare the three,
    1Ch 23:31.
    new moon--monthly.
    the sabbath--Omit "THE," which is not in the Greek (compare Note, see on
    Ga 4:10). "SABBATHS" (not "the sabbaths") of the day of atonement and feast of tabernacles have come to an end with the Jewish services to which they belonged (Le 23:32, 37-39).

The weekly sabbath rests on a more permanent foundation, having been instituted in Paradise to commemorate the completion of creation in six days. Le 23:38 expressly distinguished "the sabbath of the Lord" from the other sabbaths. A positive precept is right because it is commanded, and ceases to be obligatory when abrogated; a moral precept is commanded eternally, because it is eternally right. If we could keep a perpetual sabbath, as we shall hereafter, the positive precept of the sabbath, one in each week, would not be needed. Heb 4:9, "rests," Greek, "keeping of sabbath" (Isa 66:23). But we cannot, since even Adam, in innocence, needed one amidst his earthly employments; therefore the sabbath is still needed and is therefore still linked with the other nine commandments, as obligatory in the spirit, though the letter of the law has been superseded by that higher spirit of love which is the essence of law and Gospel alike (Ro 13:8-10).
    http://www.studylight.org/com/jfb/view.cgi?book=col&chapter=002

J-F-B
    Gen 2:3 –
    3. blessed and sanctified the seventh day--a peculiar distinction put upon it above the other six days, and showing it was devoted to sacred purposes. The institution of the Sabbath is as old as creation, giving rise to that weekly division of time which prevailed in the earliest ages. It is a wise and beneficent law, affording that regular interval of rest which the physical nature of man and the animals employed in his service requires, and the neglect of which brings both to premature decay. Moreover, it secures an appointed season for religious worship, and if it was necessary in a state of primeval innocence, how much more so now, when mankind has a strong tendency to forget God and His claims?
    http://www.studylight.org/com/jfb/view.cgi?book=ge&chapter=002

In Exodus 20:8-11 God tells us that this act in Gen 2 of resting - is sufficient of itself to obligate mankind to follow God's example.
    Some have "guessed" that God was simply obligating Himself to observe the 7th day. The Exodus 20 summary of creation
    week refutes that guess.

Mark 2:27 - Christ shows the close link between the MAKING of mankind and the MAKING of the Sabbath - and shows God's intent - explicitly.
    "
    The Sabbath was MADE for mankind and not mankind MADE for the Sabbath "
    Obviously a reference to the MAKING of these two - as we see in the creation account.

The climax of the Gen 1-2:3 account - is the Holy Seventh-day upon which religious "sabat" is observed. The verses provide the emphasis, origin
    foundation - basis for the holy Seventh-day as a memorial of God's work in creation.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Here is an interesting perspective from D.L. Moody

http://www.fbinstitute.com/moody/The_TenCommandments_Text.html

Fundamental Baptist Institute

presents

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

BY THE
    DWIGHT L. MOODY​

The Ten Commandments:

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy[/b]. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: [b]for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.[/b]

THERE HAS BEEN an [b]awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath
    during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day[/b], and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

[b]I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was.
    I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, [b]He did nothing to set it aside[/b]; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.

"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
    It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; if you give up the church the home goes; and if the home goes the nation goes. That is the direction in which we are traveling.

The church of God is losing its power on account of so many people giving up the Sabbath, and using it to promote selfishness.

HOW TO OBSERVE THE SABBATH

"Sabbath" means "rest," and the meaning of the word gives a hint as to the true way to observe the day. God rested after creation, and ordained the Sabbath as a rest for man. He blessed it and hallowed it. Remember the rest-day to keep it holy.[/b]
    [/quote]

[b]Mr. Gladstone recently told a friend that the secret of his long life is that amid all the pressure of public cares he never forgot the Sabbath, with its rest for the body and the soul.

• When I was a boy, the Sabbath lasted from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday,

Make the Sabbath a day of religious activity. First of all, of course, is attendance at public worship. "There is a discrepancy," says John McNeill, "between our creed about the Sabbath day and our actual conduct. In many families, at ten o'clock on the Sabbath, attendance at church is still an open question. There is no open question on Monday morning- 'John, will you go to work today.'"

Someone has said that without the Sabbath, the Church of Christ could not, as a visible organization, exist on earth.

Parents, if you want your children to grow up and honor you, have them honor the Sabbath day.

SABBATH DESECRATION

Men seem to think they have a right to change the holy day into a holiday. The young have more temptations to break the Sabbath than we had forty years ago.[/b]

PUNISHMENT OR BLESSING?

No nation has ever prospered that has trampled the Sabbath in the dust. Show me a nation that has done this and I will show you a nation that has got in it the seeds of ruin and decay. I believe that Sabbath desecration will carry a nation down quicker than anything else. Adam brought marriage and the Sabbath with him out of Eden, and neither can be disregarded without suffering. When the children of Israel went into the Promised Land, God told them to let their land rest every seven years, and He would give them as much in six years as in seven. For four hundred and ninety years they disregarded that law. But mark you, Nebuchadnezzar came and took them off into Babylon, and kept them seventy years in captivity, and the land had its seventy sabbaths of rest. Seven times seventy is four hundred and ninety. So they did not gain much by breaking this law. You can give God His day, or He will take it.

On the other hand, honoring the fourth commandment brings blessing:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." (Isaiah 58:13-14)

? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. [/b]Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current.

Sabbath-breaker, are you ready to step into the scales?

• Prayers Prayers x 1
  9. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

Innaurate Information

You have this information WRONG. I am a Seventh Day Adventist. There is information in the book of Revelation about keeping the commandments, etc...(Revelation 14:6-12) but none of the pronouncements of God are going to be put upon anyone until a certain time when everyone knows the truth about things. till then, God regards them as innocent.

That is why the Bible says "Come out of her MY people". They are HIS people.

Revelation 18:
    3: For all nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, and the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth are waxed rich through the abundance of her delicacies.
    4: And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

It sounds to me like maybe you have spent too much time at some of those anti-SDA sites that give out innacurate information about our church.

Claudia

10. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    WHile your mormal counterfactual whining and diatribes are entertaining and little else on these topics - one can not help but be amazed when you come up with a logical argument.

In the above you argue that SDAs are probably not watching sports or engaging in sports on Christ the Creator's own Holy Day. But instead we would be more likely to be found in worship activities of some kind as we show Honor to Christ's day of rest.

Indeed - you have a point there with some actual substance to it. A point that is actually worth thinking about.

I just had to make note of it - since it actually happened that you were able to do that here and to be sure you should be given your due on this one.

In Christ,

Bob

11. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't know about the SDAs, but as for me, this is why I, believe and feast the Seventh Day Sabbath of the entire Bible:

1, "In Sabbath's fulness of daylight towards the First Day of the week, there suddenly was a great earthquake, and an angel of the Lord descended and flung away the stone ..."
    2, "Because if Jesus had given them rest"
    3, "Because He has entered into His own rest as God"
    4, "For the Son of Man is LORD indeed of the Sabbath Day"
    5, "And (Jesus) having spoiled principalities and powers triumphing over them in it (His resurrection from the dead) THEREFORE then do not you let yourselves be judged or condemned by anyone of the world while feasting Sabbaths' feast!"
    6, "The third day (which was on the Sabbath Day) I FINISH"
    7, NEW Testament: "God thus concerning the Seventh Day spake: And God the Seventh Day finished ALL, His works",
    8, "THE SABBATH OF THE LORD YOUR GOD" - not man's day of superstitious, idolatrous, worship!
    9, "THEREFORE there remains FOR THE PEOPLE of God valid, a keeping of the Sabbath Day".

Thanks!

12. Inquiring Mind

These are the comments I've seen SDA write on other forums.

Do you deny that Ellen White teaches this?
    Do you deny that the SDA conference (or whatever it calls itself ) teaches this?

13. Inquiring Mind

What about the Utility Issue? It seems that you would have to turn everything off for fear of contributing to those that must work on Saturday to provide these services. ELECTRICITY, GAS, WATER, SEWER....

I would imagine that one could not comment on forums on a Saturday since that would be contributing to those working on Saturday to provide the Electricity to keep the forum up and running.

Support of National Security must be a problem as well. I guess an SDA can't join the Military because it's a 100% certain that they will have to work on Saturday.

But I guess you think it is okay to turn the lights and air-conditioning at your church during Saturday Service? Don't you know that using Electricity on Saturday, you are contributing to those that have to work on Saturday so you can maintain a degree of confort? Or has the SDA made concessions and allowances for these violations of Saturday?

How bout it Bob?

#13 Inquiring Mind, Oct 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2006
  14. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Come on, InquiringMind, change your mind for once and be positive for something, and not just negatively against what for God - for God in fact - is holy, blessed, restful, recuperating, completing -- so as a day of victory and lordship!

15. Inquiring Mind

What is the biblical definition of keeping the sabbath Holy?

16. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    God on the Seventh Day finished all His works - that is, all His creation; He never did it but through and in Jesus Christ in resurrection from the dead. God "raised Him in the glory of the Father" - the Sabbath reflects the Father's glory - "the glory of God in the face of Jesus" - it is "a spectre of things a coming" - of the Church of Christ - His "Body" - "growing with the growth of God" - The Church of Christ without the Day of Christ's worship - the Seventh Day Sabbath - is a non-entity; an illusion.

17. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    GE:
    It is to keep it - "enjoy" or "feast" is the word (Col2) - unto the Lord (through conquest) of it, of course and plainly and finally. Work or not work - man's part in keeping of the Sabbath Day, since Jesus Christ has dwindled incomparably against the mighty works of God that define God's rest of the Seventh Day Sabbath. And it applies to both Old and New Testaments.

18. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

If you are serious about inserting the topic of the resurrection of Christ into Gen 2:1-3 it would be good to actually use a Bible text that "Shows it".

Let's start with the actual text itself --

Genesis 2

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed[/b], and all their hosts.
    2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.
    3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.[/quote]

Now all you have to do is "insert stuff".

In Christ,

Bob

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Watching you imagine what it must be like to honor the Sabbath the way D.L.Moody chose to do it - is pretty funny IM!!:laugh:

What about drinking water and breathing air - what do you "imagine" in those cases??:applause:

:applause:

Thanks for sharing IM!

In Christ,

Bob

20. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Now lets watch D.L Moody talk about what HE views as showing Honor to Christ the Creator's own Holy Day --

http://www.fbinstitute.com/moody/The_TenCommandments_Text.html

Fundamental Baptist Institute

presents

THE TEN COMMANDMENTS

BY THE​

DWIGHT L. MOODY

The Ten Commandments:

The Fourth Commandment

Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy[/b]. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: [b]for in six days the LORD made heaven and Earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath Day, and hallowed it.[/b]

THERE HAS BEEN an [b]awful letting-down in this country regarding the Sabbath
    during the last twenty-five years, and many a man has been shorn of spiritual power, like Samson, because he is not straight on this question. Can you say that you observe the Sabbath properly? You may be a professed Christian: are you obeying this commandment? Or do you neglect the house of God on the Sabbath day[/b], and spend your time drinking and carousing in places of vice and crime, showing contempt for God and His law? Are you ready to step into the scales? Where were you last Sabbath? How did you spend it?

[b]I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was.
    I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, [b]He did nothing to set it aside[/b]; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place.

"The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath." (Mark 2:27)
    It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was- in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age.

The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. The fourth commandment begins with the word remember, showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai.
    How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding?

I believe that the Sabbath question today is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; if you give up the church the home goes; and if the home goes the nation goes. That is the direction in which we are traveling.

The church of God is losing its power on account of so many people giving up the Sabbath, and using it to promote selfishness.

HOW TO OBSERVE THE SABBATH

"Sabbath" means "rest," and the meaning of the word gives a hint as to the true way to observe the day. God rested after creation, and ordained the Sabbath as a rest for man. He blessed it and hallowed it. Remember the rest-day to keep it holy.[/b]
    [/quote]

[b]Mr. Gladstone recently told a friend that the secret of his long life is that amid all the pressure of public cares he never forgot the Sabbath, with its rest for the body and the soul.

·
    When I was a boy, the Sabbath lasted from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday,

Make the Sabbath a day of religious activity. First of all, of course, is attendance at public worship. "There is a discrepancy," says John McNeill, "between our creed about the Sabbath day and our actual conduct. In many families, at ten o'clock on the Sabbath, attendance at church is still an open question. There is no open question on Monday morning- 'John, will you go to work today.'"

Someone has said that without the Sabbath, the Church of Christ could not, as a visible organization, exist on earth.

Parents, if you want your children to grow up and honor you, have them honor the Sabbath day.

SABBATH DESECRATION

Men seem to think they have a right to change the holy day into a holiday. The young have more temptations to break the Sabbath than we had forty years ago.[/b]

PUNISHMENT OR BLESSING?

No nation has ever prospered that has trampled the Sabbath in the dust. Show me a nation that has done this and I will show you a nation that has got in it the seeds of ruin and decay. I believe that Sabbath desecration will carry a nation down quicker than anything else. Adam brought marriage and the Sabbath with him out of Eden, and neither can be disregarded without suffering. When the children of Israel went into the Promised Land, God told them to let their land rest every seven years, and He would give them as much in six years as in seven. For four hundred and ninety years they disregarded that law. But mark you, Nebuchadnezzar came and took them off into Babylon, and kept them seventy years in captivity, and the land had its seventy sabbaths of rest. Seven times seventy is four hundred and ninety. So they did not gain much by breaking this law. You can give God His day, or He will take it.

On the other hand, honoring the fourth commandment brings blessing:

"If thou turn away thy foot from the Sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on My holy day; and call the Sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words: then shalt thou delight thyself in the LORD; and I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth, and feed thee with the heritage of Jacob thy father: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it." (Isaiah 58:13-14)

? Hasn't the time come to call a halt if men want power with God? Let men call you narrow and bigoted, but be man enough to stand by God's law, and you will have power and blessing. That is the kind of Christianity we want just now in this country. [/b]Any man can go with the crowd, but we want men who will go against the current.

Sabbath-breaker, are you ready to step into the scales?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.