1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Searching for a new church

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor Kyle, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Pastor Kyle

Pastor Kyle New Member

I am just curious on where you all stand on this. Would you consider it wrong to begin searching for another church while still Pastoring at a church. I am asking because I believe the Lord has put in my heart that my time is about up where I currently Pastor. There's nothing wrong, in fact it is my opinion that the reason I was called to this church was to in a sense get them going again. They had been hurt by their previous 2 pastors and were just "existing". I came along with no previous knowledge of what had happened, young and really nieve on the whole situation. It is my first church that I have ever Pastored, and for those of you who understand, I really thought that I could conquer the world.
    Now like I said earlier, there is nothing wrong with this church. We are in harmony, and I have been here for 4 years now, but I believe that the Lord is impressing upon me to move on.
    But I am worried that if I resign, being full time, I would have to find other employment, and in the town that I am in there is little if any at all, I would have a hard time finding work.
    So once again, is it wrong for me to begin a search for another church while still Pastoring?
    To add to this, I believe the Lord has been dealing with me on even starting a church back in my hometown. Which means up-rooting my family and moving, trying to sell our home in a down economy and all.
    I am just struggling with all this and not really sure on what to do.
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    God Bless

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ask many question. Basically, I do not see a problem with considering another church. In fact, your current church might even financially support you should you desire to start a new work.

But let me address the home issue. A good friend of mine was living in Florida, and had bought a brand new double-wide house trailer. A year latter he accepted a call to a church in New Mexico. What would he do with his trailer. Would be hard to sell, as they loose value immediately after purchase - just like a car - well, he gave the challenge to the Lord - within 30 days he had sold the trailer. If you are confident of a move, just put it in the hands of the Lord

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thats a great answer Salty. :thumbsup:

4. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Don't resign until you have a place to go. Pulpit committees are very wary of even considering the resume of a pastor who has resigned a church let alone to talk with him. It's ok to search while serving. Be patient, be smart in dealing with pulpit committees, and continue to serve as if you were never going to leave until the day you actually do.

5. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very good!

There are 2 parts to leaving a church. The first is God releases us from our present place and the second is a call to someplace else.

About starting a church, if you are part of a denomination ask about them doing an assessment of being a church planter. This is not about whether or not God has called you to plant, it is about knowing your personality about planting. Remember that church planting is essentially at first an evangelistic activity. Then it is about sticking to the purpose God has called you into.

If you're not part of a denomination then talk to church planters and spend time with them. Ask plenty of questions.

Will be praying for you!

6. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with sag as I've seen a number of men get out of the ministry for a bit and then when they want to return it is difficult to impossible.

However, there is always the Lord's way that might be different so be sure to listen to Him.:tongue3: