1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seasoned Saints,or Grumpy old men?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Iconoclast, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Dr. Bobs Babylon Bee...discussion....one or two of the comments were noteworthy in this way.
    As we age do you find that subtle time pressure creeping in and how do you find it is affecting your actions?
    In other words....do you spend as much time as you once did on entertainment and recreations?
    Are you finding yourself withdrawing from them even more than in times past?

As you physically and mentally slow down a bit, how do you adjust and modify your use of time?

Do you struggle with the issue of "world flight"?

Has it impacted you to a point where your witness suffers as you get less patient and grumpy to a point where you realize you are becoming that person you said you would never be?
    Here was that comment from TOM...
    We are instructed to redeem the time....make the most of it...how are you doing with that?

• Like Like x 2
  2. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think in my case I would have to combine it... Sometime I feel like a Seasoned Grumpy Old Saint... I think one of the first lines to a song that I led in church sums it up... My latest sun is sinking fast, my race is nearly run... Time?... I'm trying to redeem the time I'm running out of... Then again if I find I have time on my hands my wife is a great organizer and will fill the empty void of time I have:eek:... You married saints know what I'm talking about... Brother Glen:D

#2 tyndale1946, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In theory we should be more effective now as we have matured and been through many spiritual situations and seen repeated answers to prayer.
    I find I have less patience with those who major on frivolous things.
    We are to be all things to all men but there is a point when they are just wasting time.

4. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Do proverbs 26:4,5 help you to determine how long to allow a conversation to last?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seven excellent questions, brother, cutting to the soul/mind/body changes that come as "seasoned saints". Here are my answers; please grade this test with mercy.

As we age do you find that subtle time pressure creeping in and how do you find it is affecting your actions?
    Absolutely. Just "yesterday" I was standing for ordination. Now I am cramming for final exams. I make short-distance plans, uncertain of the measure of strength, health or even days I will have. I have less patience for what I see as "frivolous" or "time-wasting".

Do you spend as much time as you once did on entertainment and recreations?
    Not hardly. Physically, I cannot do things I greatly enjoyed all my life, though my brain tries to blind me to reality. I do watch more movies and listen to more music and waste more time on the 'net forums and social media now. The time demands of a small congregation are vastly reduced from days gone by with large churches/staff or teaching 18-credits in college.

Are you finding yourself withdrawing from [entertainment and recreations] even more than in times past?
    Vicariously enjoying watching sports, not playing. Seeing the world, but from the deck of a cruise ship, sans backpack.

As you physically and mentally slow down a bit, how do you adjust and modify your use of time?
    Nearing 70, I am still focused on being a pastor . . . so ministry and preaching (preparation) take a good deal of time. And work as CFO of a clinic (my wife is founder of the practice and still working part time as an alternative-health doctor) takes time. But when I am home, I am content to cook, enjoy time with the wife in the garden and watching PBS. I also find I do not need as much sleep as when I was in my prime.

Do you struggle with the issue of "world flight"?
    I am much more easily irritated at the death-spiral our world is in. The breakdown of moral values and western culture is palpable. I am an election judge and on the central committee of our county's Republican Party. I am not running from the world around me, but oh how I hate its bombardment and encroachment on my life. I don't need the "cabin-in-the-wilderness" mentality; I already live in Wyoming

Has it impacted you . . . realizing you are becoming that person you said you would never be?
    The man in the mirror is not me. I am a young buck trapped inside this graying old dude who looks like he should be my father, not me. I am not like most older folk I know, but if you have time I can tell you about all my health problems or how bad the world is now compared to the "good old days". I could show you pictures of my grandkids and teach you about the importance of bowel habits. I want to let the "better angel" within me shine forth.

[What are you doing] to redeem the time?
    I preach, as never sure to preach again, and as I dying man to dying men.
    I seek to impact all 13 grandchildren as I did my own 3 children.
    I blog (20+ years now) every day.
    I continue to minister the Word as God gives utterance.
    I love my wife more now than I did the day we married.
    I see every day as a gift.

I was told on May 12th, 2003 that I had six months to live; a year at most. I was shocked and "sulked" a bit (being unable to walk overnight meant the dreaded wheelchair life), then asked prayers from all I knew for God to be glorified whatever my number of days. My wife removed the guns to I could not kill myself (because of unrelenting pain) and I decided to live the way I always had preached. Now I GET to die.

6. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Great and productive response.It is helpful to see others working through the same challenges and even more and yet persevering by the grace of God.
    It seems as if by concentrating on godly service ,recognizing things that would be hinderences to it,and prayerfully moving ahead keeps a proper biblical worldview in place.
    I have always enjoyed sports but wonder now if the outcomes are fixed because of the revenue streams they generate like fake wrestling.
    I find it tedious that ESPN, CBS sports, etc....offer social commentary in support of every sodomite group that comes up on the radar screen.
    Then to consider the idolatrous levels sports has developed into is also a grief of mind.Maybe watching the grandchildren play is enough.
    Three books I find helpful on this......Icabod Spencer's pastoral sketches,Richard Baxters Christian directory, John Owens grace and duty of being spiritually minded.

#6 Iconoclast, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  7. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian