1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

seat belts

Discussion in 'Polls Forum' started by Salty, Oct 23, 2006.

?
  1. yes

27 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  3. only for children

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that there should be a total separation of marriage and state. Marriage is a ceremony for a non-government entity, such as a church, to perform, not the government.

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

OK - I've SEEN an accident with a non-belted person and I honestly never want to see that again. They didn't make it.

I think seat belts DO save lives and I think you can still move towards the middle of the car with your upper body without the seat belt hindering you. Most injuries from seat belts are from seatbelts being worn wrong - above the hips across the abdomen, chest piece behind the back, chest piece too high on the neck, etc.

As for children, what makes me angry beyond belief are the idiot parents who don't buckle in their children. That child will become a missile very quickly in an accident yet it is NOT their own fault. They had no informed choice in the matter. I make sure my kids are in a safety seat until they can sit in the adult seat properly - even if it means keeping them in a booster beyond the law's standards. My son will be able to be in a regular belt one year and one week from today - but there's no way he's going to be tall enough to sit in the belt properly, so he'll stay in a booster until he can.

Seat belts DO save lives. No question about it. Ask any cop, ask any paramedic or fireman. I cannot drive a car without wearing one and no one will ever travel in my car without one. Do I mind the government getting their hand in this? Nope.

Ann

3. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How is marriage not a violation of segregation of church & state anyway? If the government changes a person's status in any way because they had a marriage ceremony performed in a church, how is that not respecting an establishment of religion? That question, of course, is for those who believe that concept in its modern extreme form. For me it's simple-- it does not concern the legislative branch of the federal government making laws. Not until tax laws, such as differign tax stati for a married couple as opposed to 2 people 'living together;' and, of course, which of those pays more?

4. Sheila

Sheila Member

In the state of Tennessee (where I live) it is the law. I didn't like it at first because I was one who hardly ever put it on. It has become a habit now and I am glad that I am use to it. Of course children should wear one but we adults need to protect ourselves also. I know that seatbelts don't always save lives but you are more likely to be protected than not. I am sure it saves not only lives but also money and children having to grow up with a parent not able to take care of them. When we get behind the wheel, we don't know who is coming around the next curve. I say it shouldn't have to be the law for us to want to protect our own lives. I would have voted no to this question a few years ago but I now say yes.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It will be interesting a few years down the road to see if those that think it is a good idea for the government to mandate seat belt usage "for their own good" will also think it is a good idea when the government starts mandating a host of other things - especially diet and health related - because it is "for their own good" as well. There really is such a thing as a slippery slope when it comes to giving up liberty and granting power to the government.

6. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

That is exactly my point, Ken!

I wear a seat belt, but I don't like the government telling me I have to wear one.

Our freedom of choice is growing narrower every day...

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree also Sue, I buckle up but don't appreciate a law forcing me.

8. kubel

kubel New Member

I vote no.

I will never get in a car without immediately putting on a seatbelt. But I don't like the big brother thing. It's ok for people to make a choice to take a babies life, but it's not ok for someone to decide on their own if they want to wear a belt. Stupid.

9. MsGuidedAngel

MsGuidedAngel Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  10. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The government already mandates a host of things for our own good:
    • You cannot smoke on a plane
    • You cannot drink alcohol in a car, even if you are not drunk or not even driving
    • You cannot smoke in any indoor facility in Florida (including restaurants, hotel lobbies, and even bars that serve food)
    • School cafeterias are required to serve healthy food
    • School vending machines cannot sell soda
    And the list goes on. The point is, you can always work to change this if you think you are giving up your liberty to do stupid things. Figth to overturn the max speed limit or helmets for bicycles. It's your right to do so.

To me, a more chilling issue is that companies (not government) can issue health-related mandates. If you work in a right to work state (somewhat of a misnomer -- better read, a right to fire state) or you are not covered by a union contract, your employer can mandate that you not smoke both at work and on your own time. No cigarettes, no cigars, and even no pipes (where would my friend Spurgeon be?). And at work, no right to change this. Go along - or be fired. Much more chilling.

11. rbell

rbell Active Member

...and we're back to my original point...that the undoing of our freedoms will be done under the guise of socialized medicine.

12. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am afraid it may be too late in the U.S. to do so.

Far too many people want the government to subsidize or enforce things that they like and far too many people want the government to ban or outlaw things that they don't like. The idea of liberty never enters into their thinking. Their idea of what the government should do is based on what they personally approve or disapprove of. The limiting function of a constitution on the power of government appears to be unknown to a great many Americans.

#32 KenH, Oct 25, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  13. Soulman

Soulman New Member

If we are going to live in a free society some danger might come along with that. We need to take responsibility and do the right things instead of letting government make laws that force us. Everytime they make a law forcing us to do something we know to be right we lose a little more freedom. Those willing to accept that have NO idea the price that was paid for freedom.:thumbsup:

14. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

For Salty and Pete, especially: I would not wear a seat and shoulder belt while driving a taxi, in an urban setting, especially. The day I am required to do that is the day I'll never drive one again. Frankly, all it takes is someone to grab the shoulder belt, and I'm a "had lad", with no chance! Think about it! In my own vehicle, it is, statistically, a far better idea to wear one, than not. I don't mind doing that, but I detest government fiat!

A well known document includes these words:

And although the Declaration speaks of "these United Colonies", I'll paraphrase it and add "that these people are and of right, ought to be free..."

Ed

15. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Wow, what a weird poll.......these have been a legal requirement for over 30 years in dear ol Oz.......but not in the good old USA the country that BANS vegemite go figger:tongue3:

16. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

Did you know that children born this year in the US will for the first time have a SHORTER life expectancy than those born last year due to the epidemic of obesity that has hit us? Do you think that's good? All the advances of modern medicine are being nullifies by trans fatty acids, etc.

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The government cannot make people exercise self-control. Neither would I want a government powerful enough to do so.

18. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

I wear a seatbelt and require all my passengers to do so as well. But thats just it - I dont believe government should have the right to mandate who wears a seatbelt.

BUT - now you MUST wear a seatbelt to protect yourelf, but you may NOT carry a pistol to protect yourself. Hmmm.

19. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

And it's not because of fast food restaurants - it's because no one exercises...

Is it going to be mandatory to visit a gym three times a week or is the 'Neighborhood Watch' going to report me if I don't get out and walk at 6:00 a.m. every morning?

Government interference in my life is just that - interference! [​IMG]

#39 I Am Blessed 24, Nov 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2006