1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

SEC awards

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by TomVols, Mar 9, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

John Brady of LSU was named coach of the year by coach balloting. LSU's Glen Davis was named player of the year, and Eric Ferguson of Arkansas won "Sixth Man" of the Year.

How can Davis possibly win coach of the year? Granted, his Tigers won the SEC regular season title this year with a 22-7 record, and winning the SEC is no small feat. However, this is a team that went 20-10 last year and returned most all its talent that went to the semi-finals of the conference tourney and went to the NCAA tournament. Tennessee's Bruce Pearl coached the Vols to an eastern division title and a 21-6 record. This is a team that lost its top scorer and third best scorer from a team that last year went 14-17 and lost in the quarterfinals of the SEC tournament. LSU was picked to win the SEC by some. UT was picked to finish no better than fourth in the SEC East and expected to perhaps make the NIT, while LSU was thought to be a lock for the NCAA. Tennessee is #4 in the national RPI index, while LSU is #10.

As for Smith vs. Ferguson, let's look at the per-game numbers. UT's Smith averaged 11.3 points, while Ferguson averaged 8.6. Smith shot 38% from 3 point range ,making 36 threes on the year. Ferguson shot 32%, making 22. Smith had 27 assists and 21 turnovers, while Ferguson had 39 assists and 35 turnovers. Smith outrebounded Ferguson 3.3 to 2.5 per game. Smith had 22 steals on the year, while Ferguson had 12.

Why did the voters ignore the facts on both counts? Simple. The tradition in the SEC is to reward the regular season champs. This isn't the first time such tradition has been used to snub those deemed more worthy, but it should be the last time.

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

I agree that Pearl should be the Coach of the Year.

3. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

All I can say is coaches look at coaching a lot different than fans and sportswriters. Ray Graves was my college coach and he would say Bobby Dodd and the Bear were the best coaches and did the best job year after year, as far as coaching goes. Dodd with doing more with less and the Bear for going after qb's and running backs for the most part and making linebackers and lineman and dbacks out of them. He always believed that Case at NC state was a better coach than Adolph was at KY because he did more with less. Right now the SC coaach looks good to me, isn't that Odom?

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Odom did a good job with good talent. Problem with him getting recognition is he won the NIT last year. While that's not a world-shattering accomplishment, it is success.

You're making my point about doing more with less. That's what Pearl did. Talent wise, LSU is much more loaded than UT. Chris Lofton will go in the NBA draft when he becomes eligible, and C.J. Watson could end up on an NBA roster someday, but Bass could be a lottery pick from a very talented team.