1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Second Services

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by DeanPastor, Oct 29, 2003.

1. DeanPastor

DeanPastor New Member

When is the best time to begin a second service in your opinion? aking inot consideration attendance, worship style and any other factor?
    Also what is the best way to prepare and promote a second service?

Thanks for any help

2. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reasons for starting a second service:
    1. Auditorium 80% full, much fuller and you might begin to see a drop in attendance.
    2. The desire of those serving during the service to hear a message.
    3. A rapidly growing congregation.

Difficulties associated with second services:
    1. More work for preacher, repetition of message
    2. More work for worship team, ditto
    3. Transition between services, pedistrian and auto traffic flow problems.
    4. Disconectedness between different worshiping groups, one service may not recognise another member who attends a different service. (To combat this you will need to emphisize growth groups, prayer groups, Sunday school attendance or evening services).

I would suggest that you NOT use a different style of music in the second service. Keep them as identical as you can: It may cause competition between the worshippers who attend.

Rob

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with the 80% rule. However, the second service should be in a seperate location. In other words, the church should be sponsor a new mission work.

4. Johnv

Johnv New Member

A church I attend on occaision has two morning services: 9 and 11. They're pretty much identical.

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church I attend now has 3 morning services, at 8:30 a.m., 9:50 a.m., and 11:10 a.m. There is also Bible Study at each of these times. I know the 1st and the 2nd service are virtually the same, but the 3rd one uses an ensemble instead of a full choir, but I'm not certain if there is any difference in the selection of music. I am certain the message is the same for all services. The choir in the first 2 services exits the choir loft before the message, and then they go to Bible Study, because some sing in both services, or to sit in the congregation, or leave the premises.

6. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The double burden on musicians and staff is difficult but liveable. The burden on PREACHING is beyond words.

There is an energy level in preaching. Some are very mild and could preach for hours. I "teach" that way and have often gone for 6 hours with only two short breaks.

But when I "preach" I work up a holy sweat and give 110% in effort. I often get done preaching and can hardly stand up. Have gone home and had to change clothes.

Cannot imagine having to preach with that power and force on two or three services in the a.m. Then probably preach again in p.m.?

Can anyone say "washrag"?

7. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

Many churches today are offering a 2nd service just to simply offer another opportunity for people to come. I had a prof in the Billy Graham school of evangelism once tell me that the 2nd service was one of the most unused evangelism tools available.

BTW, don't dismiss the idea of having two different style services. It can be a very profitable idea to help reach people with different tastes.

We were forced to go to 2 services in my previous church, and yes it can be tiring. On an average Sunday, I was preaching at 8:30, teaching SS at 9:45, preaching at 11:00, teaching discipleship at 5:00, and preaching at 6:00. It made for an extremely long day. Not much of a Sabbath to say the least.

I will never make that mistake again.

8. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

Our church plans to go to 2 sunday services starting in January if the number of attenders continues at current levels. However we have a senior pastor and 2 pastors now plus me as the intern.. (We are all bi-vocational.) While I am not as good as the more experienced men in the pulpet, I am improving. Why couldn't the preaching and teaching be split up... We do our "sunday evening service" on saturday so that would help to give the pastoral staff some rest. We are praying about a "blended service" in the morning, Bible study for an hour and then a traditional service

9. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBCbG wrote:
    The church I attend had two different services about 10 years ago, a traditional service and a contemporary service. The traditional service crowd was very vocal about the type of music they wanted and let it be known that that they would leave if the music ever changed. The traditional service was at 9:15 and the most attended for about a year. Then the contemporary music service (at 11:00) began to grow and eventually out numbered the traditional service.

The fact was the traditional people began to leave their service to attend the more lively contemporary service. When the traditional service was eventually abandoned there were fewer than 80 people attending, many out of necessity since they served during second service.

Rob

10. DeanPastor

DeanPastor New Member

These are all great ideas guys...but how long do I run at 80%....right now we are between 70 and 80%....how long should we run at this level before we begin?

11. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When the Lord speaks to the members of the church to go out and start a new mission work!

12. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lot's of work but one of the benefits will be growth, Lord willing.

The timing will require much prayer and work. It's up to you. If things get too crowded they tend to stagnate and the attendance declines.

Arrange the Sunday school classes so that they are staggered during the different services.

Get a committment from some major group of people that they will attend the new service, a Sunday school class or a similar fellowship group.

It will not only be more work for the preacher but for the deacons as well!

More teachers are needed to teach the children. Double the ushers and welcoming teams.

You'll need to purchase more communion service sets.

Rob

13. Taufgesinnter

Taufgesinnter New Member

I'd think once you hit 80% consistently for a few weeks, it'd be time to organize the second Sunday morning service. When it happens again, then you start a late-afternoon or early-evening Saturday service. Then when it happens again, you start a late-afternoon Sunday service and start calling architects for your building expansion! Once you get to a certain attendance and size, you'll quite possibly also be planting a daughter church about once a year or two, depending on whether you live in or near a metropolitan area.

14. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

BTW, Elmer Towns has a "How to Go to Two Services" kit if you are interested. It is a bit dated but still somewhat useful.

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

If your church is big enough to go to two services with 3 pastors and an intern, why is everybody bi-vocational?? SOunds to me like the church needs to step up to the plate on this one ...

16. DeanPastor

DeanPastor New Member

The problem with this suggestion is that we are a rural church with steady growth. This is never going to be a mega church...but we must despertaly reach the ones that are in OUR MISSION FIELD. To start a church locally for local people to come would be imho a waste of resources. We would have to pay for a building, new staff, etc.

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Interesting in how some preachers are different. My pastor, Raymond, says he could preach three or four with energy.

But I know he gets tired and needs a break.

18. TWade

TWade New Member

There should be no reason that one man has to do all the preaching. If there are gifted men among the congregation, they ought to be encouraged to exercise their spiritual gift.

19. Ephesus23

Ephesus23 New Member

Just one service at my church on Sundays, at 11:00 a.m., and then of course the evening service at 6:00 p.m. We average in the low hundreds in attendance- I'm not sure what the exact number is though. [​IMG]

20. LarryN

LarryN New Member

A book I read a few months ago titled "How to Start a New Service: Your Church Can Reach New People" by Charles Arn really struck me as being very practical & helpful in all aspects of beginning a second (or third...) service. I just looked- it's currently available on Amazon.com.

My church is wrestling with this problem again.

We nearly doubled our seating capacity 3 years ago; and on Easter Sunday, 2002 we launched our 4th daughter church, with 170 of our own people (about 8% of our attendance at that time).

Even so, right now with two A.M. services we're again struggling with capacity issues. Our 9:00 A.M. service is typically about 65-70% full; and our 10:30 service runs at 90%+ (sometimes virtually 100%). We also have bursting Sunday School rooms at both hours.

We looking for the Lord's leading about launching a 5th daughter church, or a 3rd morning service (we already do that for Christmas & Easter, with 8:00, 9:30, and 11:00), or even another building program, or a combination of the above.

Wherever & however He leads.