1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Security of Children

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Salty, May 2, 2013.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I found this on a church website:
    Pre-school and under leave after the welcome and announcements. They are taken by the parents to the children's department (right outside the Worship Center doors). They must be 'signed into the department' then or if parents arrive early for church or your child/children attended Sunday School, you could sign them in then. For security purposes we make sure that each child attends and leaves with the correct parents or guardians.

Do you think the church is being reasonable or or they being too strict?

Open for discussion

2. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Mrs A and I are childless, so my opinion is not worth as much as a father's; but if the child is not released to anyone other than the parent who signed them in, I think that in a larger church (where not everyone may know everyone else) this may be a good policy.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From what I understand, this church runs about 75

4. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Recently our church implemented higher security measures with regards to children. For example, glass panels were installed in all of the Sunday school room doors. Plus several other measures, especially with the nursery.

Why? To be in compliance with recommendations from our libability insurance carrier. Suspect that many churches already have or will have to implement tigher security in order to maintain insurance coverage.

5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everyone that teaches must go through a nation-wide security check.

Every-other-year classes in how to recognise child abuse is given.

Each child is checked in by a parent, the child and the parent are tagged with a colored wrist band. Only that parent may pick up the child.

At least two adults per classroom.

Bathroom breaks are done in groups with supervision.

Exit doors are locked from the outside, a supervisor is posted at the front of the childrens class area.

Every door has windows - we've considered security cameras.

If child abuse is suspected in the church we report it - and we've already had to do it.

Have we gone to far? We protect our childen!

Rob

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think of the all-to-common divorce where the custody of a child is debated.
    Do you want the church to be liable for a "stolen" child?

Rob

7. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

Can't be to careful. I can't pick up my g grandchildren without prior approval.

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think that is what the church is concerned about with the policy in question.
    I'm thinking the age for this policy is under the age of 5

Berean - are you in a large church or small church.

How about this policy for a small church - unless specifically notified by the parent - any relative who is a member of the church may pick up the child

9. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What Deacon says is how our rather large but not mega church does it too.

The much smaller church my daughter attends doesn't go to that sort of security. But there are windows on the doors. And usually no more than 5 or 6 under 5 years old children at a time. It was when my daughter and her friend took over the nursery that the friend's mother and I suggested there needed to be two, if only in case of a health emergency. They don't use wrist bands, but the children go back to the parents, period.

These things are just wise precautions no matter the size of the church and/or nursery.