1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seed of the serpent

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Word Traveler, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Hi guys. The threads being discussed concerning the Nephillum, and Spirit beings ABOVE angels, has me really pondering the angelic and demonic realm. Anyway, It brings to mind another verse I've often wondered about. It is Genesis 3:15
    Now I've always thought the "seed" of the serpent was ungodly mankind produced by Satanic influence. The posts mentioned above, however, make me speculate if the "sons of God" mentioned in Genesis 6:4 might indeed be fallen angels who interbreed with "the daughters of men" to propagate literal satanic "seed". The "seed of the woman" is, I believe, to be taken literally, so should we also take the "seed" of the serpent literally? :confused: Any thoughts? What is the "seed" of the serpent? I'd appreciate any response. In Christ, WT [​IMG]

2. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

WT;
    It is my understanding of this scripture that it is prophetic. This is about the promised messiah. It is also about the time when Jesus will crush the anti-christ upon His second advent.
    Therefore it, like MANY Messianic prophecies is dually applicable.
    1st it is about the first advent of Christ.
    2nd it is about His second advent.
    In His service;
    Jim

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I agree with av1611jim.

The seed of the woman is not literal because women don't have seeds. It is instead a great prophecy of how God supernaturally had Mary conceive without the seed of man.

I think the seed of the serpent is the fallen world and fallen man that rebels against God and needs redemption. The seed of the serpent is not literal either.

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Let me clarify;
    The 'seed' of the woman is Jesus Christ.
    The 'seed' of the serpent is the coming anti-christ.
    In His service;
    Jim

5. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Thanks Marcia and Jim. I realized the verse was prophetic, but I've always looked at the word, "seed", as plural; as in the "offspring" of the serpent, and the woman, ie: the seed of the woman = the godly line of believers up to and including Jesus Christ, the seed of the serpent = ungodly mankind up to and including the beast of Revelations. I fully understand that women don't produce seed [​IMG] , but I thought the passage was talking about the woman's literal offspring (ie. lineage). And I'm still not sure how I read it. I tend to agree with both of you, but I guess I'm just trying to hammer it home in my own brain! [​IMG] In Christ, WT

6. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I am not a NASB supporter, but you will note that the 'seed' mentioned in this passage takes on a personage. Hence the usage of personal pronouns. i.e. 'he' and 'him'.
    There is no way to interpret this as meaning a 'fallen world' or 'fallen' man.
    It takes some fantastic gymnastics to disect the verse into bits to come up with that interpretation.
    Read it like it is.
    Her seed (he, singular personal pronuon) and your seed (him, singular personal pronoun).
    I hope this is helpful.
    In His service;
    Jim

7. Salinas

Salinas New Member

There are some UFO wackos that believe Eve had sex with the serpent and produced a hybrid race that is trying to destroy humankind. :eek: [​IMG]

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them
    [​IMG]

8. Me2

Me2 New Member

the first seed is adam.
    the second seed is christ.

1Co 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

theres only two men, two seeds.

1Co 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam [was made] a quickening spirit.
    1Co 15:47 The first man [is] of the earth, earthy: the second man [is] the Lord from heaven.

there is no third seed.

meaning all mens seed (born of the first adam) is satanic by nature.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

the first adam, against the second adam

the womans seed is referring to the "second" mans seed. the "heavenly" seed of the Lord Jesus Christ.