1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seeking Insight

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bro. Jeff, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I posted an article on my website today and I'm hoping to get some theologically-minded Baptist commentary.

I need this because it deals with an issue that I don't hear much about. I don't know if that is because I'm not reading the right discussions or simply that I'm off base.

Anway, if you could drop by and let me know what you think I would greatly appreciate it. Honest feedback invited and needed. In case you missed it, click the word "article" in my opening sentence here to get to it.

See you around BaptistBoard.

2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Good thoughts, Jeff.

This same theme is discussed in Iain Murray's book, Evangelicalism Divided. The similiarities of the old mainline liberals and new evangelicals are that they, above all, want to be relevant to the world. Another common denominator (and most telling, IMO) is they are either soft on inerrancy or completely reject inerrancy. (By soft, I mean that may personally hold to inerrancy, but they do not think it is all that important, as evidenced by their alliances.)

3. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Thanks for the reply Andy. I had noticed my site getting quite a few hits from baptist board but I didn't get replies on the site or here.

To anyone else reading: feel free to comment either place - I check both.

Anyway - on your reply. I didn't know Murray had written on the issue. I have a lot of respect for his writings (and the Banner of Truth trust he started) so I'll have to pick that up.

Ultimately, that's one of the big things I wanted to know: Is anyone with a broader perspective making these same connections. If a man like Ian Murray is that's a helpful thing to know.

Thanks again.

4. NateT

NateT Member

Jeff:

I think the thing that summed it up best was:
    I think that identified a lot of what I've been thinking and seeing while at seminary. That there is a division there and it is growing. Are we going to have a new Modernist/Fundamentalist movement for this generation?

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Yes, there are. I'm not sure if Murray was the first one to make the comparison, but I know there are others out there (mostly from Reformed circles) that are saying the same thing.

6. A great book to read dealing with this issue of deception in most churches today.

FOOLS GOLD by John MacAurthur

7. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

Also Reckless Faith by MacArthur.