1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking Personal advice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 1, 2014.

1. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    $400 to your name, or $400 extra a month? If the latter, I'm not sure what the problem is. You're obviously able to pay your bills but you're saying you cannot. Put a little extra down every month and speed the process up.

2. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That should be a temporary thing, yet you have not wanted to do this in the past, and have no plans to do so in the future. So, it is an excuse more than anything.

If you really wanted to have your cake and eat it too, run a home based business, sell stuff on eBay on the side, like everybody else in your position does. You're expecting somebody to plop an easy way out in your lap but the words "home based business" is the closest you're going to find. And please don't say you can't do that, because anybody can.

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

How does one market themselves? Each career book has a different POV. One even says resumes are worthless. However I disagree and find most jobs are advertised online with a few via newspapers.

4. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is where I disagree with TND. I was speaking with a man whom has not been in church in months because he is working so hard to pay back his debts. This is foolishness in my POV as one can't sacrifice God for debt freedom.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbs:

Stop preaching. You can't serve God and money.

Work two jobs.

Pay off your debt.

Pray for mercy.

Does your wife have some family that could help with her care, or have you alienated them?

6. thisnumbersdisconnected

OK, John, you called me by name, so I feel compelled to respond. Then I'm done.

Both you and the man are making excuses.

You, by refusing to order your time and talent in a way that is both pleasing to God and exercising responsibility to your debtors.

He, by claiming the same problem in reverse, choosing his debts over God.

Neither of your are correct, and dishonor both God and your responsibilities to God and man. Both of you need to read what Jesus said about money, debt and prison. You have both locked yourself away in one of your own making.

#66 thisnumbersdisconnected, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2014
  7. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Go buy the lawnmower and hit the pavement. My brother and I started working that way when I was 11 years old and he was 12.

We walked. And we pushed our lawnmower. And we knocked on doors. And we asked if they needed their grass cut, on the spot.

Don't act like you're begging for money, act like you were sent there to help them.

Back in 1982, we were making close to $100 a day to split, working about 6 hours.

We built a customer base that kept us busy with repeat business.

All you need is 10 people the first week, and 10 the second. Mow each one every other week. Charge 20 bucks per yard, net 18 after gas. $180 per week.

You could probably shoot for 12-15 each Saturday, which would be a solid 10 hour day to net over 200 bucks.

Not too shabby, if you ask me

8. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Some good extra pay. I do not have a truck however there are lots of people with grass in my neighborhood that I could ask. I am gonna so some price checking on Home Depot. Well my wife's mom has one but I doubt they want me using it for anything but cutting their own grass. Thanks...

9. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have alienated no one Aaron. I am looking into second jobs but even better better paying jobs.

I did have a interest with a job paying close to 40K so about 10K more and all being first shift. However someone else got it. Keep trying.....

10. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Unfortunately I have had some random medical and car costs since March. TND will say I am making excuses but I am not.

11. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I have sold lots of stuff online.

12. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church nearly everywhere happens on Sunday morning, Sunday evening, Wednesday evening, and sometimes more. If somebody really wanted to go, they'd go.

13. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not crap in your closet, I mean turn it into a business. Buy wholesale, sell retail.

14. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are so many nice mowers ridden by so many people who are willing to take low pay combined with expensive insurance that it's not quite as easy to make decent side money by mowing nowadays, just super competitive. Then you've got a truck and trailer to pay for, and commercial insurance and license if anybody ever notices. Lord knows I'd do it if it were worth it, as I have a mower that costs as much as some new cars and would love for it to just pay for itself. You can do it but you'd have to be a real go-getter. The real world isn't quite like an 11 year old mowing the neighbors yard.

15. corndogggy

corndogggy Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You accomplish something then highlight it, you point out what you're good at and how that skill is useful and can help in a tangible way. You display your enthusiasm for certain pertinent subjects. etc., etc., etc. This is how you get a good career, not by saying you graduated somewhere and leave it at that.

Depends. If you're trying to be a manager, yeah a resume is needed. Factory worker? Not so much.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You need to watch your language sir.

17. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The Secret of Johnathan Sperry a 11 year old made a business doing this.

18. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But what of jobs that say one has to have a certain level of education, on the job experience, and a certain skill-set?

19. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are wasting a lot of time asking questions - best use your time to make some $$$

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes siree Bob!