1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seeking Personal advice

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup:

2. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Learn to say, would you like some fries with that?

3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why are you so insulting??????? Besides I am very very overqualified for those types of jobs. Believe me when I first moved here many employers saw my resume and ran thinking I would quit within a month. I had to dumb down my resume, or not use one for the job that I have.

4. JamesL

JamesL Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would disagree.

Evangelist lives in a town of about 45,000 people who have an average household income of $80,000 per year.

The population there doubled in the last 10 years, and tripled in the previous 10 years. That means there are plenty of new home subdivisions, probably close to his house. Or, if his town is anything like the ones near me that have exploded in population, there are probably quite a few duplex/fourplex subdivisions - full of renters who don't own a lawnmower.

It's simply a matter of pushing a lawn mower down the street, and go get that money.

I have rented for the last 15 years, in various areas of our metro area, and there are always people out making money by cutting grass. It's a very low investment, with immediate cash returns.

It just takes some initiative. And there are less people concerned about insurance than you might think. But even still, a guy can get set up with liability insurance for probably a hundred bucks, and he could have a workers comp waiver notarized at his bank for free.

That's how i do my insurance as an electrician - a million dollars liability coverage is $96.00 per month, and i have a notarized workers comp waiver.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Thanks, y'all. That voids my urge to participate. :thumbsup:

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: He's insulting?? You just insulted all the teachers that take part time retail jobs during the summer months for which they are over qualified. You are not too good for a minimum wage job.

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "I am very overqualified for those types of jobs."

Translation: I have too much pride.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you think Jesus may have been over-qualified as a carpenter? How about Paul as a tentmaker?

9. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Bottom line: You need to cut your expenses and increase your income.

So.......

Find less expensive foods and cut your food budget. Use what you save to make an emergency fund to start and then apply it to debt.

Only do free entertainment. Forget books, movies and the like. Go to free concerts. Walk the beach. Enjoy a cup of coffee in the park (coffee brought from home). No need to spend a penny.

Decrease your living expenses. Cut down on driving if you can. Increase your insurance deductible to $1000 if it is not already there.

Do not buy anything that is absolutely necessary.

Find a part time job that will increase your hours only by 10-15 hours a week. You can do that in 2 evenings or a short evening and a Saturday. No need to crank out another 30 hours to get to 70 hours - although that won't kill you and at times, we need to just "man up" and do what we have to do. Honestly, 70 hours is not unusual for my pastor hubby and when he had his own business, 70 hours was a light week. We just dealt with it because that was the season we were in. If your wife doesn't like it, you need to be a man and tell her that you are responsible for your family and need to do what you need to do and you will not work as much as you can but you need to work more than you are right now.

Your wife needs to work if she is not currently working.

Bottom line, if your income is more than your expenses, you will be able to pay down your debt. We can talk ourselves blue in the face but there is no way to magically make debt disappear. It's time to get tough and do the hard thing.

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You mean :"Do not buy anything unless it is absolutely necessary."

You made excellent suggestions.

11. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...And stop looking for a reason not to work hard.

12. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Proverbs 11:14, the second part: "But in the multitude of counselors there is safety". (NKJ)

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I grew up on a dairy farm. Our day was from 3:30 AM until about 8:30 PM. We were together most of the day.

People have time for what they consider important.

For years I have had my own business and at times was one year out on work. Before that I was asked to work by an employer and he was the person who got me started. It was a job I worked at to pay my bills while in college. Looking back I have had some incredible opportunities that God has given me. It is like a dream come true.

The Bible says he who is faithful in little is faithful in much.

My wife has gotten several awards as employee of the month where she works. The one thing she has is an attitude of helping others. When they need help she volunteers not because we need the money but because they need the help at times when they are busy. Every year when she gets a pay raise it is always the highest they can possibly give. Nobody could possibly get a higher evaluation. A few weeks ago we were talking about how many extra hours she works per week and it probably averages about two hours. I am proud to have her as my wife and God uses her work and attitude to open doors for ministry. At times she comes home and tells me about an employee who came to talk to her about her faith in Jesus. Her attitude brings credibility to what she says. She says very little and listens well. When she talks people listen.

Hang in there and do your best. God is giving you things now to be faithful in and he will give you more as you are faithful in the little things.

14. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Actually I have had interviews were employers told me I was overqualified and yes I was humble and willing to do the job but they said my education and experience translated into a wage far better than $14/hr. My present job I did not mention I have a college degree and dumbed down my resume and I got the job.

15. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

It also means lots of higher paying 1st shift jobs in the area than what I make. Have I put much of an effort into finding them? No I have not as I want at least a year at my present company but in the meantime be on the hunt,,.

16. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I work very hard. A person wanted to give me a strong recommendation on my performance Thursday and I said thanks and for him to put in a slip for the execs to see it.

17. Rolfe

Rolfe Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You ask for advice, yet you seem unwilling to accept any that addresses the reality of your situation as you present it.

Truthfully, why did you start this thread?

18. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then why did you even start this thread? Come back when you're at the year, and ask us then.

And if you've been told you're over-qualified, and had to "dumb down" your resume to get your current job, then you know what you have to do to get a job ... so what was the point of starting this thread?

As someone else pointed out, this is at least the fourth time you've started a thread on this particular subject; and each time, you've received the same answers. The definition of insanity is said to be doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result each time. Are you insane?

19. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lying ought to help out with the job search. :BangHead:

20. evangelist6589

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Maybe perhaps I am a slow learner in this area. Since when did you have it all figured out? I have much to learn....