1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Self-baptism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Crabtownboy, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Of course. I actually thought I said that, but I guess I didn't. Yes, the local church may designate anyone to baptize on behalf of the local church. He does not have to be ordained was my point. Sorry about the confusion and thanks for clarifying.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Pastor Larry, I was responding mainly to your statement which seemed to say that the individual was the arbiter of whether his baptism is valid, regardless of who baptized him.

I've read posts in the past in which someone would set up some example, such as, "well I was baptized in the Church of Christ, but I didn't do it to get saved, so I think I've been biblically baptized." Substitute "Roman Catholic Church" or any other sacramental church, most Pentecostal groups, and you have a bunch of examples.

My point was, if the intent of the believer is paramount in determining legitimacy, it matters little to baptizes him. Even a lost person could baptize.

I'm using an extreme example, I know. It's a famous and oft-used debating trick, using hyperbole to make a point. The point is, the authority of the baptizer should not be demeaned.

If I mis-read you,
    Never mind.