1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Self Righteous Christians, What to do?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by baptistcross, Nov 15, 2005.

1. baptistcross

baptistcross Guest

It is hilarious when I hear a Christian start telling others what they should or shouldn't be doing. I mean seriously, what do you say to a person who feels their way is the way for everyone? Or that they feel the Bible says this and in this context period?

I just feel so sorry for these types. You just want to start laughing in their face because they are acting so ridiculous. However, I would like advice on how I should try and treat these special folks.

2. Petrel

Petrel New Member

Well, not start threads about it for starters. These threads never end well.

But at any rate my tactic when I'm at my best is to ignore the attitude and try to address the topic we're discussing itself.

3. le bel

le bel New Member

I agree with Petrel, but also want to state that being classified a "Self Righteous Christian" can pertain to just about anything. I've been called that on many occasion because I don't agree with the homosexual lifestyle, abortion, premarital sex, beliefs in general and this I've been told by "Christians". It goes both ways.

Many say I take the Bible out of context when I evaluate my beliefs and how I've been brainwashed, etc.

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Take this with a grain of salt, okay? [​IMG]

Let's see, you called them "hilarious" and that you "feel so sorry" for them and call them "types" and you feel like "laughing in their face." You say they act "ridiculous." Now, how is it you are better than they are?

Actually, this type of person isn't uncommon. Since you feel they are wrong - period - it seems you might be just like them.

You mentioned: "I would like advice on how I should try and treat these special folks." Okay, you have some of it already, treat them as "special folks."

As to how to treat them. With love and as brothers/sisters. As opportunity allows, maybe you will have a chance to talk to them about their ways. [​IMG]

5. Marco

Marco Guest

I don't think he is saying he is better than them. Maybe he is saying there are certain people that tend to give advice and then there are others who work on the stick in their own eyes.

6. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Baptist Cross
    You have 9 post total with not much to say....you sound like a trouble maker...who is on here for the wrong reasons. Therefore I have reported you putting me down on other posts.

You are not edifying to all the saints but you tear down.

Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do in WORD or DEED do all for the Glory of God.

7. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Christians who stand up for God and his word without compermising have been called " Self Righteous " for centuries. Nothing new under the sun.

Le Bel is absolutly RIGHT !

I personally would rather stand for Gods truth than to please people. Just my humble opinion. Or was I wrong to have one ?

8. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

9. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Actually self-righteous Christ is an oxymoron. [​IMG]

Titus 3:5

10. Mark Osgatharp

Mark Osgatharp New Member

Uh, you aren't trying to tell us that we shouldn't be telling others what they shouldn't be doing, are you? Do you think your way is the way for everyone? Do you think that all of us should quit telling other people what they should or should not be doing?

Talk about hilarious! You "judge not" types are the most judgmental people around.

Mark Osgatharp

11. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

AMEN !

Hey Mark I just might just have to use your post sometime ok ? Loved it [​IMG]

12. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member

Matthew 7:1-5 is the most poorly interpreted portion of Scripture in the Bible.

What does this mean? Reprove and restore?

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them." Eph. 5:11

"Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine." 2 Tim. 4:2

Now the key here is to be gentile with love and understanding.

"Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted." Gal. 6:1

People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

**Moderator Warning**

All posters will be aware of Baptist Board rules # 3 & 4 --- all posters regardless---will be subject to suspension for disregarding the rules and warning.

Bro. David, Moderator

14. fatbacker

fatbacker New Member

Wow, this thread got ugly really fast and I never had a chance to post before blackbird showed up.

I would however like to know the circumstances for which the christian was giving orders. I also believe there are alot of critics out there who resent ever being given an order or who get really offended when someone stands up and takes charge of something when everyone else has refused or ignored the task. I am sure we can all confirm the fact that the fewest amount of people in our churches serve the masses the most. I am also pretty sure there are plenty of people on this baptist board who show up and just love to give their opinion on topics and then go to church and won't lift a finger in their church ministries. I for one have a strong opinion about things but I am also very willing to serve. If your going to be loud I believe you need more than just words to back it up. So as far as being judgemental towards those who give orders I think would have to go on a completely personal level with the one being accused of being bossy and the accuser.

Also before I judge people like that I believe you should associate yourself with that person and maybe you can gain some insight as to why the person is like that. It is amazing how your perception can change about someone when you find out little bits of information about their lives.

I through my adult life have learned that people who are very good at what they do have a tendancy to be or seem very stuck up or pushy when you are in their environment of expertise. These people usually know what they want and like to keep control of circumstances so they know what is going on at all times. For some reason I noticed this mostly in chefs, why I ever picked up on that I will never know, but the very best chefs I have met in various places all seem to be stuck up. In my trade before self employment I have worked for some people who were very good at what they did and instead of being resentful of their bossy and pushy ways I learned to respect them for their position and accepted their way of doing things because that is what they wanted it done. Even though I would not always choose to do things their way if it were up to me I did it their way because it worked for them.

I try to understand the bossy person before I write them off as being just bossy, maybe they are really trying to accomplish something with someones best interest in mind. Not all of them do but some do.

15. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

I am of the personal opinion that no one should force their extra biblical moral absolutes on others. For those moral absolutes that are scripturally based we should be careful so that our reproof is done in a loving manner. That is not to say that a strong and stern stance cannot be taken, only that it should be done in an edifying manner.

16. Rachel

Rachel New Member

[​IMG] Ahhh thank you for that, I needed a good laugh. I just read alot of your posts... ;)

17. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Too many Christians are trying to be the Holy Spirit. :( The way some do things is THE only way it should be done. Whatever. :rolleyes:

18. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

fatbacker very good post I agree...I think this OP was specifically refering to ME and my post on a thread I started about Working mothers in the general forum....check it out.

A few believed I was " pushing " my opinion without Biblical bases. When in fact I was one of the very few that did use scripture and facts and statisics to back up my views along with personal history. But to those who took my opinions personally....instead of attacking the MESSAGE they attack the MESSENGER.

I too am in many ministries in my church including Biblical counseling....so I just might know a little bit about what goes on in this world.

19. Glory-to-God

Glory-to-God Guest

Agreeing with everyone is not Edifying them Rachel. Edifying means respecting others view points which I did and like someone said we all basically were in agreement when it came down to it. Edifying someone is helping them have a higher view of God and his WILL and plan for their life. If Marco or anyone came away with a better understanding of that....then I was Edifying. I also noticed Bapmom and a few others who agreed with me were left alone. They said the same thing....no better or worse than I did.

I am surprised how very little people are able to use scripture and Biblical principles on this board. I thought if anyone could it would be Baptist....guess I was wrong :(

I have yet to call ANYONE names...except to put their hypocrisy back on them. Again when people cannot defend their stance they get defensive and attack the MESSENGER and not the MESSAGE.

20. Rachel

Rachel New Member

Are you talking about the thread you had locked? I didn't see that you were being edifying. In fact, from what I read, you were in attack mode the whole thread. You might want to work on how you come across.
    Just sayin'.