1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Selfishness and Decisions.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Wanderer, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Wanderer

Wanderer Member

Hi again!

I know it's been a while, I've been on the road finding my way in life and I have had some amazing adventures!

First the Question for you all. Selfishness, how do you feel about your own decisions and thoughts twords others? Talking about you want to do one thing (or your flesh does) while your heart wants to listen to god.

I have come across a decision in my life that is rather difficult to explain and extremly hard to deal with. So my question is other than prayers, what do you do?

I'll share my story after I get some sleep later this afternoon, and its going to be a long one. So be ready :laugh:

2. billreber

billreber New Member

I constantly have problems with the struggle between self and obeying God.

Of course, the first thing I do is pray. After that, I ask that "too cliche" question, "What would Jesus do?" If it is in an area that I know has been addressed in Scripture, I re-read the Scripture (while still praying for guidance). If not, I use a concordance to look for key words that MIGHT be in the area I am struggling in, and read those Scriptures. I want to double-check that what I have heard from God is really consistent with the Bible, and therefore likely to be from God.

Next, I usually discuss the struggle with my wife. If you are married to a fellow believer, this can the most wonderful step, since God promised that if two or three are gathered together, He will be with them. We pray together (of course), and I carefully listen to what my beautiful lady says.

The final step I follow is to prayerfully take action. I have on several occasions done something I was certain God wanted me to do (even though my head said otherwise), and have been blessed by the decision to take action in obedience.

One of my favorite Bible stories is about Abraham being willing to sacrifice Isaac, his only son, at the command of God. One thing that I do that Abraham seems NOT to have done is that I delay taking action, while Abraham "immediately" took action.

Hope this helps!

Bill:godisgood: :praying: