1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

semi happy this week.

Discussion in 'Health and Wellness' started by thomas15, Aug 1, 2021.

1. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've been riding bicycles for about 3 years, started when I turned 60. Had not been on a bike for about 25 years. It was really one of those things were I realized I needed to increase fitness, not that I was overweight but I did have a few extra pounds. While not a athlete my any means, I've always had some degree of fitness, I have in the past worked out in gyms and have 8 years of martial arts but had not in any kind of fitness program for about 10 years.

So, first time out on the bike in fall 2018 was not a pleasant experience. I'm in the hills of Eastern PA and about a mile into it actually thought my heart was going to cut itself loose of the blood vessels it was working that hard. Undaunted, I kept at it a very slowly started to make progress. In 2019 I participated in a few organized rides and completed a 65 mile charity event.

In Sept 2019 I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease which really hit me like a brick. Took 2 months off cycling then set up an indoor "smart" trainer utilizing the virtual platform Zwift. Over the winter 2019-2020 hit it hard, very hard.

Spring-fall 2020 worked outside and made great gains. In 2020 logged in 6200 miles (indoor and outside), about 480,000 feet of hill climbing ascent. Over last winter I did a 12 week training program with intervals, picked up an 8% ftp increase. I blame it on the covid vaccination but first week in Feb. I lost my MoJo. Serious bad, a 10 beats per minute heart rate increase and a very bad feeling in my legs. I cut my cycling time in half.

I have a 65 mile charity bike ride end of August. I want to do the 65 miles non-stop and in the 18+ mph average range. This would have been absolutely possible 7 months ago now with my MoJo lost to the wild I'm not sure. Last week I cranked out 136 total miles, this in an effort to muscle through my issues. This was my first week riding over 100 miles since Feb.

Today ends the week and I have 160 miles on the clock and 6000 feet of ascent. I'm semi-happy because of the miles but I'm happier still that my heart rate seems to be returning back to normal. My plan is to ride at least one 60 mile ride each week for the next 3 weeks and a minimum of 150 weekly miles.

I'm asking for prayer, to give me strength to push hard and for victory over my doubts. Problems are opportunities in disguise it is said. Because of my gains of the last few weeks I'm encouraged and excited for my upcoming ride. Prayers please.

• Prayers Prayers x 2