1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Semi-Pelagianism vs Arminianism

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jarthur001, Dec 14, 2010.

1. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

An honest, genuine, respectful and kind recitation of your position. Thanks :thumbs:

2. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Thanks. Being honest.

I can't say I understand all reformed theology, although when one claims any of it, then come the accusations.

First and foremost, He saved me.

:godisgood:

3. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

He saved even me too!

4. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Yeah, I heard somebody ask an old preacher one time how he resolved the conflict between God's sovereignty and man's will. He answered, "Well, I didn't know they had a falling out."

I'm with you most of the way through the quotation. Then it's a matter of semantics. I would not say that the Holy Spirit's enabling grace means one must believe. It means one will believe. That, to me is consistent with Romans 8:28-29, where Paul says those whom God calls he justifies. I read that to mean all those whom God calls, he justifies.

Yes, all whom God justifies, he has called. But that leaves room for the view that some who are called are not justified because they did not respond in faith. That's not what Paul said, however.

No Calvinist denies that a man, in his fallen state, resists the Holy Spirit. Always. So why did you and I, one day, stop resisting, and freely repent of sin and trust Christ for salvation? I believe it is that enabling grace.

And it is a grace that does not necessitates belief, but assures belief, willingly exercised. Because a sovereign God gave us a heart of flesh to replace our heart of stone.

We were not saved against our will.