1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Choices

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by FlyForFun, Aug 13, 2009.

1. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Here's the latest -- I didn't see this until I searched again -- thanks for the correction!

http://www.liberty.edu/academics/religion/seminary/index.cfm?PID=15334

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I went to seminary later in life. It was tough. It meant the finances were much lower and my time was taken with studies. I worked and went to school. I am glad for what I learned though. I would consider your goals in going to seminary before going. A lot of ministry can be accomplished without a seminary degree.

3. PilgrimPastor

PilgrimPastor Member
    Site Supporter

Depending on your goals and the setting which a person hopes to minister, a lot can be done without a seminary degree. I know a couple of pastors, though, who have no seminary education, in fact these two men have nothing past a HS Diploma and both went into ministry later in life. One is a retired Navy man and the other a retired UPS Truck Driver. One of them has picked up many of the "right" books, is well read, and is humble. He is a very good pastor. The other reads what ever is put in front of him, but I do not think with any discernment, doesn't have even the least bit of understanding of what different perspectives are, and is very much mediocre.

Does education make the pastor? Certainly not, but boy does it make a difference for most of us. I'm all done on this topic. I wish you best and pray the Lord's blessing.

4. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Old Timers" Perspective

To whom it may concern:

I too was an "old timer" when I was called to minister/preach. I was 30, union journeyman pipe-fitter/welder, one child, with another on the way. I spent the next 21 years getting 5 degrees in 7 different institutions. So I have a little first hand knowledge of the circumstances. And believe me they can be tough.

I have always wanted, and I guess felt a bit insecure, because I did not end up with a PhD degree. Dr. Bill Grover and I have had the "should I" or "should I not" get the extra degree. I have wrestled with the issue literally for years.

I have just come to grips with my own situation. I could spout off several recent happenings, credentialing, publishings, etc. But through the counsel of a few very close friends and colleagues the question was posed to me: "What are you going to do with the second doctorate if you get it?" and, "What good will it do you now?" and, "Is the time worth the effort, would you not be better off by writing and publishing another book rather than writing a dissertation?"

So sometimes it helps to get other peoples' perspective. We do have a hard time seeing the forest for the trees do we not. I would ask, "What will the degree do for you in ministry that your own study and 'degrees in hand' could not do for you"

I would counsel you NOT TO get a seminary degree unless or until one or both of these questions are answered satisfactorily in your own mind:

1. Do I know for sure that it is God leading in a definitive way for me to do this.

2. Do I want this for a personal (ie., God goal) goal for my life. See #1 above.

PM me if you want to talk further.:smilewinkgrin:

My two cents worth!

"That is all!"

#24 Rhetorician, Aug 15, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2009
  5. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

30 isn't old! Not anymore!
    ;-)

Yes. I take seriously the sense of calling, confirmed by God's people and circumstances.

It's the same way I land an airplane -- airspeed is right, airplane attitude is right, runway centerline is straight, and glidepath is right.

When all come together you know you're on course.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Yiu are right Just go to the tennis courts and see who is out there most of the time.

When I was learning, a plane radioed the tower letting them know they were about 10 miles out. They decided that they were going to land without being cleared to land and came in on final just as we were about ready to turn onto final and we were cleared to land. It instantly made things very interesting for my instructor. I got a quick lesson in turning the aircraft around quite quickly. It certainly grabbed my attention. Another time a Blackhawk heliocopter came near enough to us that I could see the pilots face.

Another time I was flying within a few miles of LAX and a plane flew a few hundered feet overhead atabout 90 degrees to me without being on radar and without a transponder when he should have. It was like he was going through the air and hoped nobody would catch him.

7. UZThD

UZThD New Member

While I had a BA/MA in Bible in my 20s-30s, I didn't begin the MDiv/ThM until I was 51 and didn't finish the D.Th. until I was 65.

But I'm convinced that I wasted many years and sorrow over doing that.

8. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Fly enough -- especially at non-towered fields -- and you'll have all sorts of Close Encounters.

A wise pilot doesn't trust anyone -- look and look again for other traffic!

I like flying in busy airspace such as DC or NY -- you get to see some mighty cool airplanes up close and in flight!

:thumbs:

9. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Sounds like I should stop hand-wringing and get to it!

I just wish there were ways to credit life experience or prior leanring through a test-out option.

I earned 30 credits towards my BA taking CLEP tests. I'd like to do the same with seminary studies.

10. UZThD

UZThD New Member

-------------

I know the educational path seems long. But what I'm sure you've given some thought to is that further education may provide you with more skills and knowledge which possibly would give God more opportunity to use you in varied ways. Certainly God can do whatever miracles He wishes in and through His servants, educated or not, and I am no cessasionist. But I think as a general rule the competencies acquired in doing higher Christian education pay off in one's increased potential for understanding Scripture and serving God. I wish that no one would have to carry my burden of being convinced for eternity that he or she has wasted the years God gave in time.

#30 UZThD, Aug 16, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2009
  11. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Well, I was pulpit supply again yesterday at my home church. Based on the reactions I'm getting strong confirmation of this call.

However, based on discussions with a few seminarians I wonder if that's the best route for me...

12. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe some help and another opinion?

Hey "Fly,"

Have you considered these questions:

1. Do I want an education?

2. Do I want a degree?

3. Do I want both?

4. Rationale and/or motivation for my answer?:thumbsup:

"That is all!"

13. Thinkingstuff

Thinkingstuff Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I don't believe I'm called into the ministry. However, I'm thinking about going to seminary. My Pastor suggest Gordon-Conwell. He says its excellent. Any thoughts?

14. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

I have a degree (well two, actually, as I'll add an MS to my BA).

I have had and continue to pursue an education -- through a wide variety of means (including RTS and Covenant classes vie iTunesU, lots of reading, discussions, and plain ole life experience).

I have far more education already than my Father-in-law (who is a SBC Pastor and is currently semi-retired) and Brother-in-law (he has a BA in English, and now serves as a Pastor).

I'm not ok with a loosey-goosey, I don't need no book learnin' approach, but on the other hand, think that I'd be wasting about 2 years of the 3 in Seminary reviewing what I already know and can articulate.

15. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why not just take some classes you think you will need to start with and see where God leads?

16. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

True...I need to finish up this MS first. In the meantime I'm listening to as many classes as I can on iTunes during my one hour each way commute!!!

17. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Depends on what you want to do. GC is good but very expensive. What will you do with your education/preparation?

18. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

People react differently at your home church compared to when you pastor.

19. FlyForFun

FlyForFun New Member

Meaning...?

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

When you pastor a church, the people have a different expectation of you. Your home church will be glad for you and support you but the church you pastor has an expectation that you know how to do your job.