1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seminary degrees and the call of God

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JonC, Sep 3, 2013.

1. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I do not see Jesus teaching an either/or idea. Making disciples is not just a "how to" one size fits all methodology but an individualized maturation process. Probably the closest thing in school is how vocational education is taught.

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Relating to Charismatics/education etc. had a woman in the movement that would ask my opinion of Charismatic books so I would read them and tell her what she didn't want to hear.

One quote that really amused me was a man telling non-charismatics about what they ought to do. He related that they should bundle their brains up in a box, put it on a rocket and send it to the moon. Now, my take on that would be "To be a Charismatic you have to be brainless." Just sayin. :thumbs:

3. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am for pastors gettingall the schooling they need and can, especially in the original languages, but just stating that pastors that I have known stated they learned more about the Lord and being a pastor outside the seminary than while in it!

4. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    LOL! Yep! That counts! :)
    Uh, all of them. They were, after all, Jews! :)

5. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Seems like that was true of Jesus too. It is my understanding that He grew in wisdom and stature.

6. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    All of the pastors (or elders) understood Hebrew? I assumed otherwise of the Gentile and Hellenistic congregations.

7. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I heard that somewhere too, LOL. I am not a pastor, and know in my heart I have never been called, as I do not have the temperament for it. It requires a person with supernatural patience, encouragement, and a person who can discern and edify. It takes such a unique person, that I cannot imagine how anyone could hold the office of pastor and not know they are called for sure.

We have had several threads on here recently about this subject, but it is hard to imagine a called person, called to be a leader in a New Testament Church for Jesus Christ, to put out some of the posts that are seen on this board.

I would think such a calling would give an individual a whole different outlook on responsibility to the Lord and his congregation than the average church member.

There are no doubt some who have made it through a church vote that are not called, that can keep up the act for a while, but without the calling of God, the brand of Jesus Christ on their hearts, it will not last long.

You being a pastor could maybe answer this question, why would anyone not called ever want such a job? It has got to be like a round peg in a square hole. It has got to be a miserable existence to be an uncalled pastor.

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would say that one who is mature would realize the awesomeness of that responsibility. However I think we have diminished the importance and responsibility of glorifying God in our worship. Our worship to God is shown in what we do. Imagine a bridge engineer who did not take his responsibility very seriously. He would soon find problems coming his way. When I read about the tabernacle I am reminded of the craftsmen and materials used. They were the best.

I think that is true any time someone does something they should not be doing.

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    :thumbsup: I think we all need to keep this in mind regardless of our "calling" within the body of Christ.