1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Doctoral Programs in Education

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by StefanM, Jul 2, 2008.

1. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently in the process of studying for a Master of Arts in Christian Education, and I'm now in the early stages of looking at PhD and EdD programs in the field.

I am primarily interested in programs at seminaries, though I would be interested in a program at a Christian university.

My professional goals are to work in Christian higher education, either in teaching or in administration. I am also open to denominational or Christian non-profit leadership, as well as church-based ministry in Christian education.

I am interested in residential programs only.

Does anyone know of particular schools I should research?

I've looked into Southern Seminary, and everything I've read seems to meet my educational goals. I've also skimmed some information about Southwestern and Southeastern (EdD).

2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    SBTS' EdD Program

Stefan,

I do not know if you looked closely at Southern's program or not, but their EdD "resident program" is rather unique. It is a cohort model. Much of the work is done at home, on line, and with several week long models on campus. It is well worth a look see. You may know this already but did not indicate that you had in your post.:wavey:

Their PhD in Christian Ed is strictly residential if I have understood the programs.

FYI!

"That is all!"

3. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Rhet. I have looked at that program, but I am more interested in a traditional residential program. Traveling back and forth for modules would be cost-prohibitive. I would also like a program that would give the opportunity to obtain an assistantship.

4. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

5. PatsFan

PatsFan New Member

6. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks, PatsFan.

These programs require more experience than I have, though.

7. StefanM

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It looks like I may just need to wait it out to see if God will provide me an opportunity in the future.