1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary options around St. Louis

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by SirColes, Mar 27, 2006.

1. SirColes

SirColes New Member

I am trying to find a seminary to attend and am not having much success. My options look a bit limited given my inability to relocate at this time. Perhaps someone here knows of an option that I have not yet found. Here are my basic search parameters.

1. My goal in attending seminary would be to change careers and become a teacher at a Bible college or seminary. (BTW – any tips on what I would need to do in order to pursue this goal would also be welcomed)
    2. I am in the St. Louis, MO area and cannot relocate
    3. I certainly would consider a program that is completely off-campus, but I am concerned with the acceptability of such degrees (goes back to number 1). Actually, a well-respected distance learning M Div degree may be the best thing.

I appreciate any input you can provide.

Roger

2. mjohnson7

mjohnson7 Member

Here are some options...you may know of already:

Concordia Seminary - Seminary of the Lutheran Church

Covenant Theological Seminary - conservative seminary of the Presbyterian Church in America

Eden Theological Seminary - seminary of United Church of Christ

Calvary Theological Seminary - in Kansas City, a nondenominational, independent, fundamental seminary (an excellent school!). Their M.Div. can be completed by modules with exception of the languages.

Liberty Theological Seminary - accredited online M.Div.

also check with Missouri Baptist University. . . they did have some seminary extension courses there.

matt

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir Coles,

I would go to Liberty University and look around. There has been some strong discussions as of late on the BB on the merits/demerits of the long and protracted MDiv degree.

Liberty has a Master of Arts in Religion (which I hold from another University). It is a good degree and is basically a truncated MDiv "professional" or practitioner degree.

What is meant by that is this; it does not lend itself towards the teaching ministry in the Bible College, liberal arts Christian university, or the seminary.

I understand perfectly not being able to leave where you are. I was a Union Pipefitter/Welder, had a two year old, and my wife was pregnant with our 2nd child, when God called us to preach. We left it all to go to seminary. I have a little knowledge of the types of thoughts that might be going through your mind at this time. I pray for you as you seek God's wisdom and direction.

I would say, after having gone through seminary 4 times, that the program @ LU would be commendable to one who is where you are. But, it would really be a help if you knew for sure that you wanted to teach on the college/seminary level. Then, that could set the tone and direction for which you need to go.

I would be glad to talk to you via, PM, email, or by phone if you need to talk. Don't hesitate to contact me!

sdg (soli deo gloria)!

rd (Roger also!).

4. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir Coles,

Did you say what your Bachelor's degree is in and where did you get it?

sdg!

rd

5. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sir Coles,

Also, if I remember correctly; Mid Western Baptist Theological Seminary @ Kansas City had an off campus program that met @ MoBap there in St. Louis.

I would check that out for sure!

sdg!

rd

6. SirColes

SirColes New Member

The others I have checked out, but for some reason I had not yet run across Liberty. I'll check that out. Thanks.

rc

7. SirColes

SirColes New Member

My BA is in MIS - a technical business degree.

I'll contact Western and find out if that is the case. I know people that are taking some classes at MoBap toward a seminary degree, but I am pretty sure they still have to take some classes at the seminary campus itself. But I'll check with Western.

As for the use of the degree - If I pursue a degree, it will be in order to use it to teach. I am finding other sources that are okay for simply improving my study abilities. So if I pursue a degree, it will be to both take my studies to the next level and to prepare for making the career change.

I appreciate your prayers and what you went through to make the change.

Thanks,

Roger

8. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

If teaching is your primary goal I would consider St. Louis University. I know it's expensive, but an MA there would prepare you in historical theology for sure.

9. Convicted by the Spirit

10. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am currently attending Southern Evangelical Seminary via distance education. I, too, am unable to relocate, so a distance education is my only option. I've found it to be an excellent school, and if I may say, quite unique in its commitment to put theology into a historical perspective and defending the faith.
    Find out more at www.ses.edu

The cost is reasonable compared to other schools, and it is accredited.