1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary Professor for Ron Paul

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Martin, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know endorsements don't mean that much anymore, if they ever really mattered to begin with, but I do find them interesting. Mainly when the endorsement comes from such a respected source. Professor of Greek and New Testament at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, Dr. David Black, has made his support for Dr. Ron Paul (President in '08) very clear. I am happy to see that there still are some true, small government, constitutional, conservatives out there. I know they are few and far between and that makes me all the happier when I find one. Too many republicans today are no longer conservative. O, they maybe pro-life and all of that, but they have accepted the unconstitutional ideas of big government and nation building (other nations). It is tragic and sad. So I am thrilled with Dr. Black's choice for President of the United States.

Ron Paul: Our Next President?

I want to say here and now that, while I do have some differences with Ron Paul, I wholeheartedly support Ron Paul for President of the United States.

2. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I find it surprising that Dr. Black would support someone with such a non pro-life voting record.

3. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Exactly. And ronnie is not a conservative.

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I respect Dr. Black as a biblical scholar , but his support for Dr. Ron Paul is misguided .

If only someone with the stature of a D.A. Carson would endorse Fred Thompson I'd be happy . Unfortunately , Dr. Carson is Canadian .

BTW , Dr. Black's work with the ISV Bible is commendable .

5. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul or Dr. Ron Paul, (lets show some respect -Rom 13:7) is a conservative. He is pro-life and anyone who says he is not is either ignorant of his position or is willfully misrepresenting Dr. Paul's position. Dr. Paul may not hold to the standard, failed, run of the mill pro-life tactics but he is still pro-life. I happen to agree with Dr. Paul's pro-life position and I am very pro-life. I have seen that the normal pro-life tactics have failed and continue to fail. We need a new approach and Dr. Paul's position is the best alternative. Better yet, it fits with the Constitution. I know that is a foreign concept to many republicans and democrats now days but, in theory, our government is still bound to that document.

7. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==The Constitution, and our founding fathers, would take issue with your opinion here (as do I).

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

His voting record stands in opposition to his words. (No doubt you've seen his voting record and ratings. I can email them to you if you like). I am disappointed by Dr Paul's poor voting record. I do not misrepresent his votes. I only characterize them as they are. We can hear words but we can see deeds. Voting records are just that.

9. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    ==Dr. Paul's voting record represents his belief in very limited/small government. That will, of course, offend big government "conservatives" who believe that government is the solution to society's social and moral ills. Ron Paul has recieved a 100% rating from the Conservative Index.

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist

11. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken, when doing my research (which I posted here), I simply outlined the synopsis of the bills and Paul's votes, and I also posted his ratings from NARAL, NRTL, etc. The votes are what they are. You even expressed your disagreement with the votes, but that you accepted Paul as the candidate with flaws, and I understand that as being valid. I just hold the position that (1) to claim to be pro-life yet vote otherwise is duplicity, which even you have agreed, and (2) Paul's flaws outweigh his strengths IMHO.

Martin: Anyone who knows me for more than five minutes knows I'm no "big government conservative." Yet a person who claims one thing yet votes another, especially when we're talking about defending the most basic building block of a republic and fundamental right in the Constitution - life - and then casts votes undermining this block and right must draw inquiry from free-thinking individuals concerned with the sanctity of life and the core values of our Constitution. I freely admit I have not consumed any of the Ron Paul Kool-Aid. I think for myself. For that, I draw arrows from some BB posters. Let it be. I like to ask questions and query the candidates. I'm funny that way :) Paul gets it dead right on many areas, yet his voting record here does not. Have you examined it?

As an aside, hope all is well at SEBTS, and I'm sorry to hear of the news story about the student there and the...well, you know the story. Seems any time the media can sully one of our seminaries, they will, regardless of how the tie works.