1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary student's climate change project is not SBC's

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by Revmitchell, Mar 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    WASHINGTON (BP)--Jonathan Merritt, a 25-year-old student at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, N.C., captured widespread media attention March 10 in releasing a statement titled "A Southern Baptist Declaration on the Environment and Climate Change."

The so-called "Southern Baptist" statement is not an initiative of the Southern Baptist Convention which voiced its views on global warming last summer in a resolution, "On Global Warming".

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=27582&ref=BPNews-RSSFeed0310

2. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The tide is changing. It's not just the "dirty ole' lib'rals" anymore.

We have rock-solid, Bible-believing, inerrantist, conservative Southern Baptists who are in favor of protecting our environment. It's not a liberal or conservative issue. It's a stewardship issue.

3. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It's a lie, created as a political tool.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although he signed Merritt's declaration, Page, in a statement to Baptist Press, voiced support for the 2007 SBC resolution and earlier SBC resolutions on the topic.

"Southern Baptists have long stood for a clear environmental message which takes seriously God's call to guard and keep the earth," Page said. "We have been balanced and responsive in our calls for care....

http://www.bpnews.net/bpnews.asp?id=27582&ref=BPNews-RSSFeed0310

It appears the MSN article failed to tell the whole story. No bias there huh?

5. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    While some media reports interpreted the declaration as a major shift of position in Southern Baptist circles, the document actually builds on statements adopted in the past, Daniel Akin, president of Southeastern Seminary, said during the teleconference.

"What the statement does is in concert with what Southern Baptists have said," Akin said. "The difference is that this comes as a grass-roots movement, not through the mechanism of a resolution that comes when the convention is in session.

"It does challenge Southern Baptists to be more proactive," he added. "I see it as building on what Southern Baptists have said in previous statements and position papers."

Southern Baptist messengers, in speaking to the issue of global warming during the 2007 annual meeting in San Antonio, encouraged their fellow Southern Baptists "to proceed cautiously in the human-induced global warming debate in light of conflicting scientific research." It also called for public policies that guarantee "an appropriate balance between care for the environment, effects on economics, and impacts on the poor when considering programs to reduce" carbon and other emissions.

The resolution affirmed Southern Baptists' responsibility to protect the environment while urging caution in the debate over humanity's role in global warming.

No shift at all.

6. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

So where did you get your degree in climatology & meteorology? Are you an expert on such matters, or just speaking out of your hat. Never mind, I think I know the answer.

7. Magnetic Poles

8. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

For evcery expert you give that is for it I can give you one that is against it. In fact more and more experts are bailing out on it. It is clearly losing ground.

9. Magnetic Poles

A totally baseless assertion. And you are using appeal to authority, which is a logical fallacy, while not even naming said authority. You are not a climatologist, so you have no basis for your assertion of lies. Ignorance...its a sad thing to witness.

10. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is in fact a logical fallacy.

12. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    RevMitchell is right. If you do not belive me, ask him.:laugh:

Sometimes I wonder about Rev. He makes broad sweeping pronoucements but does not seem to back them up. Oh, that's right, I forgot, he is a cleric so we have to believe him. Yes, I am cynical in my old age.:BangHead:

#12 Crabtownboy, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  13. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Global warming and climate change are not lies. They are scientific and historical facts. As a historian of early American history, I see multiple examples of climate change and global warming in American history. Some of these changes were caused by nature others were clearly caused by man.

A friend of mine has a PhD in Agriculture and he has shown me evidence of ancient glaciers that use to move across North America (the United States). The climate changed and those glaciers are gone. Also gone are the glaciers that lowered sea levels which allowed the ancestors of ancient native Americans to cross the Bering strait on dry ground.

My point? Climate change and global warming has been, and continues to be, a reality. The examples I just gave are, most likely, natural and not a result of man's activities. However we could turn to examples of climate change that has been caused by man (over farming in the midwest, etc).

I would point out that massive global warming is warned about in Bible prophecy (Rev 16:8-9). Of course that global warming will be caused by God and not man or nature.

14. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The phrase global warming is most often used in the context of man made. However, recent studies have come to the conclusion that the temperature peaked in 1998.

15. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Call it global warming, climate change, or bugs bunny, the same principle applies. Global warming may generally be used to discuss human caused rises in temperature, which does happen, but it can and does refer to natural rises in temperature. There are also periods of global cooling and freezing. My point was that global warming is not a lie.

As for the "recent" study about 1998, can you provide a source?

NASA states the following about 1998:

"The large spike in global temperature in 1998 was associated with one of the strongest El Ninos of recent centuries, and a weak El Nino contributed to the unusually high 2002-2003 global temperatures." -SOURCE

If I understand the article correctly the high tempatures in 1998, which I remember well because I worked in construction at the time, were caused by El Nino and not global warming.

"2004- The Fourth Warmest Year in a Century: 2004 was the fourth warmest year around the world, since the late 1800s, according to NASA scientists. 1998, 2002 and 2003 were the only years warmer since the 1890s." -Same SOURCE

The causes of global warming might be up for some debate, but the fact of global warming is not.

#15 Martin, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2008
  16. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    With all due respect, the websites you are using are agenda driven websites. You just cannot deny the reality of global warming. You don't have to be a scientist to understand that fact. History is full of proof that the earth, generally speaking, is warming up and it has been doing so for thousands of years. That warming occurs slower at times than at other times. In other words, the warming is not consistant. Therefore you can find ups and downs on the chart. How long will the warming last? Nobody knows.

As for humans, our activities certainly do cause changes in temperatures. Again, this is a fact that cannot be denied.

As for '98, that spike was caused by a very strong El Nino and not part of a global warming pattern. Thus I don't think you can say that '98 was the hottest it will get. Another strong El Nino could form and drive temperatures up more than the one in '98 did.

17. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bio of the author:
    Jonathan Merritt (B.S. from Liberty University, 2004; M.Div from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary, 2008) is the National Spokesperson for the SBE & CI.
    As a young faith and culture writer, his work has appeared in national outlets like The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Relevant, Outreach, HomeLife, Charisma, Christian Single, and FCA's Sharing the Victory magazines.
    He is the son of Dr. James Merritt, pastor of CrossPointe Church and former SBC President (2000-2002), and Teresa Merritt , and he resides outside of Atlanta, GA.
    A Southern Baptist Declaration on the Environment and Climate Change Initiative Contact Information [LINK]

Rob

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Give me a break. All sides of this issue are agenda driven. You suggestion toward this in no way discredits the information. That my friend could just as easily be said of any sources you would offer. This is not a legitimate argument.

19. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have failed to respond to the information in a meaningful way. What about the historical evidence? Do you deny that as well?

I await your meaningful reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.