1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary training and opportunity to minister

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by El_Guero, Sep 29, 2005.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Brothers (& sisters)

I am raising this poll and question, because of another thread. It was stated that:
    Andersonville thread's web page

2. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What I have heard is that more than 70% of SBC seminary graduates quit the ministry within 10 years. I have also heard that over 50% of the SBC pastors are bi-vocational (or part time).

So, I have to wonder if it really does matter 'where' a pastor goes to seminary ... I still think it does, but I am not comfortable with my own answer.

3. NateT

NateT Member

I think it matters more what the caliber of the person is. However, some seminaries will open up more doors.

Just like in my undergrad, I did a BS in Electrical Engineering at the University of Missouri - Rolla. The company I hired on with and the company I did an internship both recruited heavily at that school (as opposed to several others.)

However, there were plenty of good people from other schools at these companies.

So to, SBC churches will look at my SBTS Mdiv (if/when I get it) than they would one from DTS or Trinity. At least the churches I know of.

4. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would still opt for atleast a RA seminary like I attend but I have seen grads from non RA or ATS seminaries with outstanding scholarship. I'm a little fed up with some of the ATS schools (not that they are bad). I was told yet again that a degree from a non-ATS seminary was unacceptable to enter into their Th.M or D.Min programs. Oh well.

I am currently in Seminary and planning on more after the M.Div but I pastor full time and only have a BS in Church Ministry and God put me in ministry. I believe its important.

5. Broadus

Broadus Member

I haven't heard these stats, but I wouldn't be surprised about the one that 50% of SBC pastors are bivocational.

Many bivocational churches are little more than family affairs, with folks driving past a half-dozen Baptist churches to attend where their parents or siblings and extended family continue to attend. Coming from a rural county in SE Georgia and pastoring such a church in KY while in seminary, I know from experience this to be true. Quite honestly (and I sense flame torches being lit!), many of these churches could close and there would be no loss to the kingdom, but that is probably for another thread in another forum.

Concerning grads quitting the ministry, the stat may be determined by what "quitting the ministry" means. For instance, I know an SBTS grad who works for InterVarsity Press and another who teaches at a Christian school. If the stat is referencing those not involved in local church ministry but may be involved in Christian efforts as "quitting the ministry," then the stat would be inflated.

Bill

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

I think when speaking to the number of Bible college and seminary grads who are out of the ministry in a pastoral role it might be prudent to compare that with other college grads,thier majors, and when they change vocations.I think you might find it somewhat comparable.These people are sincere when they pick thier major.Many of the students in secular schools who change careers sometime after graduating from college had thought most of thier adolecent and pre-adolecent lives about what they wanted to study and be.

7. j_barner2000

j_barner2000 Member

I pastor a church which has been around for 125 years. Our high average attendance was about 50-60. In a community of about 200-300 residents (depending upon whether it is winter or summer) average attendance now is 30 up from about 10 a year ago when I started.

I was pulled into ministry by Him at the appropriate3 time, as youth director. Was called into pastoral ministry, at the right time, by Him again. And, He led me to the school I am atteding and the right church. I have no intention of "climbing the steps of success" by moving from church to church every year or 3. I will stay here and minister until He moves me.

The seminary choices here in the rural setting are very few. The nearest seminary is a little over 100 miles away and that is not a "prestgous" institution.

"Go where God sends you, Do what God calls you to do, Be satisfied in His calling and grace" is what my mentor has told me all along this path.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Broadus and other brethren ...

I heard the statistics, 'unofficially', so at first I wondered if it was that bad. But, several senior pastors I know have said that they numbers are probably low ...

So, I do not know, but I haver heard that Barna says the numbers are much worse among all denominations ...

9. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

web page

10. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

web page

[ September 29, 2005, 05:54 PM: Message edited by: El_Guero ]

11. NateT

NateT Member

I would guess that those statistics aren't just those that burnt out but also, sadly, those who disqualify themselves.

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Nate,

There are even worse statistics out there ...

How can we reduce the burn out?

13. NateT

NateT Member

As a student who is planning on going into the pastorate in a couple years, I've thought about this some.

I think being honest about what to expect in the pastorate helps. I was a little naive when I felt God's call and thought it would be an opportunity to do nothing but study God's word and deliver 3 sermons a week. However, I've been involved enough now to know that won't be the case. I haven't been involved enough to see all the bad things, but I've seen some.

I think the honesty that we see from current pastors is partly why we have so many seminary grads going to para-church organizations (I heard the statistics a few years ago, and they were startling.)

I think also, that I need to be involved with the elders at my church so that I can see what the day-to-day life is like, and still have the ability to discuss different issues with them. It will be harder once I'm "on my own" at a church, to confer with others and seek their advice.

And finally, we need to decide that all church carpets from this point forward will be red, that will end the nasty business meetings about that issue [​IMG]

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

God calls us to pastor and then we end up working for Para church groups ...

15. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

Can you direct me to one? [​IMG]

I've been in and out of the ministry so often my head is spinning.

I make alot more money out of the ministry, but somehow, God keeps pulling me in!

16. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I found one of the options for the next to the last question very interesting. Can someone please demonstrate from the pages of Scripture where we get the following idea?

Where is the idea of "God's effectual Call" found in the Bible?

17. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    God is not limited to using ministers as pastors alone. One can be a minister and never be employed by a church.

18. Broadus

Broadus Member

One way to lower "burn out" is to rescue churches and pastors from gauging their work by secular standards. The "success syndrome," measuring a minister's worth by quantifiable statistics, is contrary to the Scriptures. Churches which demand that ministers "produce" in terms of increasing the church's attendance and budget operate more like religious corporations instead of the gathering of saints to worship God. The pastor contradicts his calling when he becomes a CEO instead of a physician of souls.

Bill

19. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Bill,

I do agree with you.

Yet, I know that when I had a secular job that had identifiable criterian that I was measured by weekly - I EXCELLED! I became one of the best very quickly. I enjoyed it.

But, I hungered to preach even more ... Pastoring the sheep and preaching the Word should not be measured in the same way. But, could we find ways to encourage the godly pastors we know in ways that they will succeed more often?

[ September 30, 2005, 10:37 AM: Message edited by: El_Guero ]

20. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'll add my concurence to these last two posts. As ministers (and that by the way means every Christian), God has called us to be faithful not to be successful. Our goal is to be told by our Lord; "Well done, my good and faithful servant." And that is not the same standard as what men measure by. To paraphrase Paul in Corinthians: