1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seminary vs. Baptist School for Masters?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by scubablt, Nov 25, 2004.

1. scubablt

scubablt New Member

Here is a "Academic/Education" oriented question for discussion:

As a pastor, I have recently counseled three young people about their call to ministry and the call to adequately prepare for that calling. The discussions also included "what school should the attend to earn a Master's Degree?" That led to some interesting questions I wanted to pose to the Baptist Board.

First, let me say I believe firmly that a call to serve God is also a call to prepare, and I believe these future ministers should attend and graduate from college. I also believe that a Master's Degree in an appropriate area is necessary, to effectively prepare. Of course, many might disagree with my belief about getting a Bachelor's Degree and/or Master's Degree, but here is the question I would like to discuss now in this forum:

"If indeed a person makes the decision to go to Grad School and get a Master's Degree in a Christian field, should they: (a) go to an accredited "SEMINARY" for that Master's Degree, or (b) is it just as good to attend any accredited Christian University and get a Master's Degree there, or (c) would it be OK to simply attend any accredited state school and get a Master's Degree in a field like Education, Sociology, History, etc?

~~ So, here is the bottom-line question: If a person has surrendered to vocational ministry, and they elect to get an accredited Master's Degree, should they: (a) attend a full-fledged "Seminary," (b) simply attend any Christian school for a Master's Degree, (c) attend a secular University for a Master's Degree, (d) It does not matter what school, but just getting a Master's Degree shows determination and commitment, or (e) it is not helpful or necessary at all to even get a Master's Degree to help prepare for Ministry?

Thanks for taking time to respond.
    BLT

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most larger, accredited seminaries have a stronger staff, program, library, etc since their only focus is graduate work. They have full 3-year MDiv, ThM & ThD programs. Their faculty are published and product has "image". You can tell a "Dallas" grad or a "Trinity" grad.

At the same time, many of our ifb schools have excellent 1-2 year grad programs that might be all a bi-vocations student (or student who has gone through 4 year bible college and has years of Greek, etc, all ready).

I would opt for staying at a college program and working on a MABS type (42 credit). IF more training is desired, those will all transfer into a 96 credit MDiv.

3. Paul33

Paul33 New Member

I agree.

If the college degree is grounded in Bible and languages, an M.A from a seminary is probably sufficient.

If the college degree is in history, English, or some other field, an M.Div. would be the way to go.

With an undergrad religion degree, I would seriously consider a Ph.D. instead of an M.Div. if you have an inkling of wanting to teach in the future. I wish BJU was mainstream evangelical, because they have the Ph.D. program that I advocate.