1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sen. Craig to resign Saturday

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by webdog, Aug 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Actually, the job likes me for a few more months, then its time to retire at 55 and something. Very good comeback. To tell you the truth, I am burnt out on the whole political structure.

2. Joe

Joe New Member

Here's the actual audio transcript of his interrogation. It's short, no commercials.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...o/vs?id=RTGAM.20070830.wvlarrycraigarrest0830

Their feet possibly touched once. The "brushing of a leg" is an exaggeration by a reporter, not truth.

The Cop handed the Senator his card under the stall. IMHO, the Cop didn't wait to walk out of the stall to see the truth. The truth of whether there would be an actual solicitation taking place.

A lesser charge of "disorderly conduct" was offered if he pled guilty. The Cop promised not to leak it to the media, something the Senator was desperately concerned over.
    This is so sad, and it could have happened to any of us.

Joe

#22 Joe, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Therefore it is with sadness and deep regret that I announce that it is my intent to resign from the Senate, effective September 30." - U.S. Senator Larry Craig

An interest choice of words. Perhaps leaving the door open to change his mind if future events permit?

4. moondg

moondg Member
    Site Supporter

It is a good thing he was not talking to his wife on the phone. Just think what he would have gotten if he had been talking about how he wanted to hold her in his arms later. :laugh: The officer might have shot him through the stall wall.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

LOL !!! I can picture that

#25 Joe, Sep 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2007
  6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://newsbusters.org/node/8054

WaPo Shocker: Huge Difference in Handling of Democrat and Republican Sex Scandals

By Noel Sheppard | October 3, 2006 - 12:43 ET

When I first saw this article this morning, I asked my daughter to pinch me. But, it was still there. I then asked her to slap me. No change. Finally, smelling salts. Alas, it was still on my computer screen, and from the Washington Post no less: “The Redder They Are, The Harder They Fall; Republicans More Damaged by Scandals.”

Better prepare yourselves for an alternate reality, folks, because the shocks came early and often in this piece (emphasis mine throughout): “Sex scandals involving politicians are as old as Thomas Jefferson, but the outcome seems to depend on which party you represent. In recent years, for the most part, Democrats have been able to survive their sordid escapades while Republicans have paid with their political lives.”

Can’t be the Washington Post, right? Checking that link about now? The article miraculously continued after briefly discussing the current scandal involving Rep. Mark Foley (R-Florida):

Foley's creepy behavior might have done him in even if he'd been the most liberal of Democrats. But that's not assured. With a Republican at the center of the seamy scandal, however, it was almost a slam-dunk that Foley would have to quit.

The article then actually referred to specific cases when Democrats and Republicans involved in sex scandals have met with different fates:

That's how it usually turns out for members of the conservative, traditional-family-values party. Just ask Bob Livingston, Jack Ryan, Bob Packwood, Dan Crane or others in the GOP who've watched their careers go pffft! with salacious disclosures. Or ask Bill Clinton, Gerry Studds, Barney Frank and other Democrats who've withstood embarrassing revelations to govern another day.

SNIP

Why the difference?

"The reality is that Democrats seem to get away with more," says Chuck Todd, editor in chief of the Hotline, a daily political journal. "They can have an affair and bail [themselves] out. There's a lower threshold for Republicans. I guess it's more of a hypocrisy thing," he adds, because such scandals put Republicans at odds with the party's socially conservative image.

Todd thinks he knows who's to blame for this: "It's the media, to be honest. What is the standard 'gotcha' story in the media? It's hypocrisy. If we can prove hypocrisy, we have a story. . . . So in a sex scandal, the bar for Republicans is lower."

7. 4boys4joys

4boys4joys New Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.