1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate Passes Gun Control Amidst Protection For Gun Makers

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Aug 1, 2005.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Friday evening, July 29, 2005

The U.S. Senate passed legislation (S. 397) protecting the gun industry from frivolous lawsuits by a vote of 65-31 this afternoon.

It should have been a joyous occasion for the entire gun community. But just when it seemed that the majority party was about to deal a knockout blow, the Republican leadership dropped their gloves and allowed anti-gun Democrats to land a hard uppercut on the chin.

As a result of that lack of resolve, America will be saddled with mandatory trigger locks unless the House of Representatives acts in a more responsible manner.

True, the underlying bill is significant legislation, supported by GOA, which will help the firearms industry defend itself from the slew of frivolous lawsuits you've been hearing about for years. It's not great protection, but it's a nice first step.

However, "nice first step" should never be an excuse for the passage of more gun control. By the way, you will no doubt be reading news reports touting the bill as a great victory for gun owners, while dismissing the trigger lock amendment as "minor." Wrong, and more on that later.

But first: how did this thing blow up in our faces?

SOURCE

2. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

Why are trigger locks a bad thing?

3. Johnv

Johnv New Member

I'm asking myself the same thing. I can't for the life of me see any way that the issue of trigger locks violates Amendment II.

4. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

5. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

that is a very good point

6. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

There is no way to police such a law. How often has the Sheriff in your town examined your guns?

7. JamesBell

JamesBell New Member

trigger locks are a bad thing because it makes it next to impossible to use your weapon to defend yourself. When faced with the stress that surronds a fight for your life (or the lives of your loved ones) it would be difficult, at best, to manipulate the lock making the weapon useless. Of course, the "bad guy" won't have the same problem.

8. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Not really. There is no constitutional right to drive. There is a constitional right to keep and bear arms. However, that right is restricted to being "well-regulated".

9. hillclimber

hillclimber New Member

I have a couple trigger locks for my pistols. They are in the junk drawer in the kitchen, along with assorted rubber bands, paper clips, months old notes, pens, hole punch, tweezers, paddlocks, a jar lid, box cutters, tip cleaners for my welder....hmmm, an organizer burried under all this, etc.

10. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    </font>[/QUOTE]How many seatbealt tickets do you know of that haven't accompanied a more serious driving offence?

Assuming that the police use the seatbelt laws to assert and abuse their power, is that reason to oppose having seatbelts in every car?