1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senate reaches deal to end shutdown, avoid default

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by poncho, Oct 16, 2013.

1. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

[Breaking news update 12:20 p.m. ET]

Senate leaders announced on Wednesday that they have reached a deal to end the government shutdown and avoid a possible U.S. default.

[Original story moved at 11:45 a.m. ET]

Senate leaders on Wednesday worked out a deal to reopen the government and avoid a potential U.S. default as soon as midnight, sources told CNN’s Dana Bash and Ted Barrett.

Formal announcement of the agreement will come at 12 noon ET on the Senate floor, a Republican Senate aide told Bash.

CONTINUE . . .

2. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't that a big yee-haw?

3. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Yes it is. They saved us at the very last moment from the problem they created.

We should all throw them a great big hero party.

#3 poncho, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  4. thisnumbersdisconnected

Wasting 17 days of the American people's time and energy, one side making noise about actually doing something about this odious health care law while the other ignored the economic, social and medical ramifications of leaving it intact and on schedule while vowing a repeal, delay or gutting would never happen, all of them using up billions of tons of valuable oxygen spouting epithets, derogatory remarks, condemnations, threats, intimidations, and irrational rationalizations toward an end result of ...

... Absolutely nothing!! There was no point, there is nothing different now than it was on September 30. It was the "greatest show on Earth" for 17 days, but like all circuses, it has to roll up its tents and move on down the road to the next collection of rubes waiting to be fleeced.

No one gets a free pass from me next year. If they're in office, they get voted against. Bring 'em all home. Put 'em on the unemployment line. Send a new batch to D.C. It's a cinch a bunch of damn rookies can't do any more harm than the idiot veterans we've got running this country now.

Roll out "Ben Carson for President" and start talking some common sense. Put all the Democrats and Republicans out of their misery and elect statesmen and -women in 2014-16!

I've had it. To hell with "The System." We're going to build a new one!

#4 thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
  5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I agree 100% with your post. The totality of the entire bunch is a giant worthless POS. These leaders of our nation, the greatest nation on earth, acted like three year olds throwing a tantrum instead of mature statesmen.

Your idea about Ben Carson is also well taken. He would be a great candidate if he can stand the grueling and mean spirited campaign. He seems above that to me.

So explain this to me, you said "to hell with the system" yet got irked at my calling for Speaker Bonehead and McConnell to be thrown out?

The twenty or so Tea Party members of Congress do not effect change. Before change can come, a majority of "Tea Party" candidates need to be elected. There is no way they had a chance from the sheer numbers, and shutting down the government was an ignorant idea.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Agree with you. I want to be sure I understand--my US representative is a Republican. Are you saying I should vote for his Democratic opponent in 2014 so that my incumbent will be booted out of office?

7. thisnumbersdisconnected

You might try voting for his primary opponent first.

8. FollowTheWay

FollowTheWay Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, one side tried to trash the "Good Faith and Credit" of the United States for political gain but lost thank goodness.

9. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Minnesota is a caucus state and anyway I doubt there would be an opponent. So I vote for the Dem, right?

10. poncho

poncho Well-Known Member

Both sides have been trashing the "good faith and credit" of the United States by continuing to let an un elected un accountable cartel of private international bankers control the issuance of our money.