1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Craig not leaving despite his conviction being uphelh

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by saturneptune, Oct 4, 2007.

1. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Can you believe this? Does anyone remember that speech where he said he intended to resign several weeks ago? One of the most conservative Senators?

If anyone can think of a more outrageous hunger for power, please share the example.

I hope Senator McConnell (R-KY), the Senate minority leader, will take the lead in expelling him from the Senate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299421,00.html

#1 saturneptune, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Since none of us were there, we do not know for sure. He plead guilty. The judge reviewed the case and said the evidence supported the guilty plea.

We have become so cynical about politicians because of the constant display of dishonesty to retain power, that it could be an honest one will be unjustly accused. I really dont think that is the case here.

4. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Tapping your foot and making hand signals do not convince me of soliciting homosexual sex. If I were a juror I could never in a hundred years convict anyone on such spurious evidence. And it is quite possible that he just wanted the charges past him. I couldn't care less about his situation other than some folks are ready to nail him to the wall over absolutely nothing.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wonder if you would have the same response if Senator Craig was a Democrat, Timmy.

6. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

I would never have convicted him either. On that we agree. Where is disagree with you is that you do not plead guilty to something to "get past" the charges. He made two mistakes 1. He plead guilty. 2. He announced at a news conference he intended to resign.

Idaho will never elect a Democratic Senator, so from a balance of power standpoint, there is nothing to be concerned about.

7. 2 Timothy2:1-4

Yea, I didnt say he was a smart feller. Stay or go is no skin off my nose. I just think the charges were bogus. Can it be connected to the Dems looking for another seat?

8. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah, whenever the Republicans get caught in an embarrassing situation it's never there fault in your eyes, is it, Timmy? :laugh:

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Maybe Tony Orlando and Dawn can remake one of their favorite hits "Knock Three Times on my Foot if You Want Me."

10. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yeah!

What does he think he is anyhow?

A democrat?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right, carpro. Democrat. Republican. It's getting harder to tell the difference between 'em.

12. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

While I don't look it as an outrageous hunger for power, but a man trying to hold on to his job, I do agree in hoping McConnell convinces him that he won't be able to withstand the hearings, so must re-resign. He's already endured a lot, but nothing compared to having both sides of the aisle, and the press shinning light on him.

13. Dagwood

Dagwood New Member

I wonder.....:laugh:

14. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

There is no conspiracy or power grab here. He voluntarily plead guilty long before the Democrats were even aware of the situation. Kinda hard to trap a guy when you aren't even aware of the covert sting operation at hand. The question now is, do you support enforcing the law?

15. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally, I think he should resign, but considering their history Congressional democrats should remain quiet.

16. Ivon Denosovich

Or considering Republicans history they should fly into hysterics lamenting hypocrisy.

17. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Let's play: Who's the biggest hypocrite?

As in: Democrat Hypocrisy
    Democrats to Republicans

"Hey you guys have run everybody out of office that messes up. Why not this guy?"

Republican Hypocrisy

Republicans to Democrats

Why should you care? You embrace your mess ups and run nobody out of office.

18. 2 Timothy2:1-4

That may be your question but it comes out of nowhere. I certainly never suggested a conspiracy. I don't know that there is a power grab here. Neither do you know there isn't. I doubt you kinow what any dem knows at what time any more than I do.

19. Ivon Denosovich

The question is not whether you would convict him based on the evidence but whether you accept his guilty plea.

Actually, you are the one who supports criminalizing homosexual behavior and now you have a prime opportunity to write your congressman in favor passing federal guidlines requiring a minimum of five year sentencing, or something to that effect.

You do support criminalizing homosexual behavior don't you... or do I need to research and quote you verbatim from previous threads? To claim that you now don't care about "his situation" sounds rather libertarian.

20. 2 Timothy2:1-4

It would help the ability to maintain peaceful posts if you would refrain from making assumptions or making attempts to read into what is posted. Your assumptions are not grounded conclusions. And it appears that you failed to read all of my post.

I never made it clear why I do not care about his situation. However since I am not convinced he is homosexual your connection between Craig and criminalizing homosexuality is a false one. I am not convinced one way or another about his guilt.