1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Criticized Over Move to Restrict Alcohol in Church

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by carpro, Jan 18, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. tragic_pizza

tragic_pizza New Member

Well, the Catholics are right.

3. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why do you think so?

4. snrsvdbygrc

snrsvdbygrc New Member

This is exactly the type of thing Thomas Jeffeson was talking about in his letter to the Danbury Baptist regarding separation of church and state. Meaning, the government should not butt into religious affairs. Amazing how today's liberal has changed that around to mean we should have a secular society as a whole.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

This is aimed at Lord's Supper, or communion, wine. Even some Baptist churches use real wine. Do we stop christians under age 21 from taking part in the Lord's super? And if they start regulating what we do in our churches, in our worship, then where do they stop?

6. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reading the source, I don't believe there is any reason to believe that this is the case. An exception should be written in for the observance of certain religious observances.

I believe this bill is really aimed at churches that allow parties and festivals at which alcohol is served with no regard to the law concerning legal ages or responsibility.

7. rbell

rbell Active Member

maybe you're right.

However...badly legislation can have unintended consequences...sometimes a law ends up being applied in a manner it was never intended. (I think of the RICO racketeering laws, and how they were used to go after pro-life demonstrators...not clinic bombers, but peaceful demonstrators)

They better tread lightly.

I have an idea. Why doesn't Congress take the year off? Then they can't screw everything up. (I suggested this for the crooked elephants and they ignored it. Reckon the crooked donkeys are any different? Naah.)

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are correct.

Kruse may have the best of intentions, but legislation such as this must be very carefully written.

I have long contended that Congress could disappear for the next 2 years and no one at all would miss them.

#8 carpro, Jan 18, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2007
  9. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

I believe the government has an interst to protect innocent children from the apparent abuse in churches that give alcohol to children. It is sinnful and should be resolved quickly. I had no idea this went on.

10. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

NO church allowes children to drink recriationaly. The Catholic church is conserned about communion. Obviously this law does not make an exception

11. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

It does not go on. Except communion.

Would you require JWs to allow blood transplants in their children?

12. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Allowing alcohol to touch the lips of children period is in error.

13. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you sure?

How about 16, 17 and 18 year olds when the legal age is 21?

Careful how you answer...

14. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Your kids dont take cough meds then, right?

Do you really want the goverment to decide what is scriptural error and outlaw the practice?

15. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Obviously I can not speak for every single church. But I grew up with alot of Catholics in the fam and went to alot of Catholic carnivals and everybody was IDd for the beer garden. Same with the Lutheren church.

Allowing underage drinking recriationaly is already out lawed everywhere, so if you know of it then turn them in. Religious ceremonys are always the exception in the law.

16. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

Nobody answered my question about JWs and blood transfusions.

17. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm not sure of your reason for this question, but chances are, you know there have been cases where judges ramrodded in and forced a blood transfusion to proceed. Your question as stated-- poorly, I will say-- warrants the answer 'no.' The cases I referred to are where the child will likely die without the injection of blood; which is not saying JW's should be required to allow blood transplants [I assume that is the same as transfusions] any time for any reason. If the child will likely die without the injection of blood, I say the interest in preserving the child's life must supersede the right of the parent(s) to prohibit blood injections.

18. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

The reason for my question is because the point of this thread (unless I am mistaken) is that a law was proposed that would prohibit a minor from partaking in a religious ceremony because it involves giving the child a small amount of alcohol.

The argument being that it is bad for the child. The JWs religion as you know does not allow blood transfusions (the correct word) in children and it has been excepted (with a very few exceptions) to be their religious right.

The JWs believe that a transfusion will have eternal consiquences and their religious right is weighed over the good of their children.

I could have also asked if the law should prohibit children from attending churchs that pass around poison snakes.

I have not read here where anybody has called for it. But then I read on this thread that people want the goverment to prohibit small amounts of wine taken during communion. There is more chance of a child being hurt by total immersion baptism. What if the goverment wanted a law banning Baptists from dunking their kids?

trans·fu·sion
    Medicine/Medical. the direct transferring of blood, plasma, or the like into a blood vessel.

trans·plant

Surgery. to transfer (an organ, tissue, etc.) from one part of the body to another or from one person or animal to another.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

19. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

I have been taking the Lord's Supper, including real wine, in my Primitive Baptist church since I was 9.

If they pass a law to forbid it, my church will continue to give any member, regardless of age, wine in the Lord's Supper.

The government has no business whatsoever in the affairs of my church and our following of the Lord's example.

Shame on anyone who would support such an obvious, and idiotic, encroachment on religious liberty.

I hope this guy gets booted from office in the next election. I'll even supply the boot.

20. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I'm astoniished to learn that Nebraska presently permits recreational drinking by minors at church functions. What kind of legislature would pass a bill like that?

Or maybe this guy is just some kind of froot loop? I'm wondering if some religious sect, possibly German in origin, has a tradition of letting kids drink. It's more common in some European countries.