1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator McCain: Bomb, bomb Iran?

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Mar 21, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    An excellent article with a very important statement at the end:

"The danger of a McCain presidency is not only that he would prolong our presence in Iraq but that he would seek to fulfill neoconservative dreams of a war expanded from Iraq into Iran and Syria, leading to a regional conflagration. With his campaign already sowing the arguments for a wider conflict, we will not be able to say we weren't warned."

- rest at www.salon.com/opinion/conason/2008/03/21/mccain_iran/

2. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Stop the fearmongering, Ken. You are overeacting. Besides, you cant scare me with heaven.:praying:

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    No fearmongering from me. Don't you believe Senator McCain's own campaign? Do you think that the neo-cons are supporting him with no expectation that they will be pleased with his foreign policy?

Not trying to. My concern is about the innocent people in the greater Middle East who would pay the worst price for the actions of a "President McCain" just as tens of thousands of innocent people have paid the price for President Bush's awful decision to invade Iraq and his policies there since then.

#3 KenH, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to take this article with a grain of salt. Salon isn't quite even-handed journalism.

5. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

So you think we should stand idly by and let Iran gain nuclear weapons to threaten the world with?

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Iran is not attempting to build a nuclear weapon per our nation's own National Intelligence Estimate.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What news or advocacy organization is any longer? None that I am aware of.

However, I agree the opinion of the author of article. Thus, I posted a link to it.

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Perhaps you misread my post (or just ignored it since it is inconvenient for you), but this is no answer to my question. I will repeat it to save you the trouble of looking back up to see what I actually said.

Do you believe we should stand by and let Iraq gain nuclear weapons to threaten the world with?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't see these United States go to war with Pakistan, or go to war with Israel, or go to war with India, or go to war with the Soviet Union, or go to war with China, or go to war with Great Britain, or go to war with France when they actually developed nuclear weapons.

10. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Are you having problems reading today? You keep posting totally irrelevant stuff. I didn't ask about Pakistan, Israel, India, the Soviet Union, China, Great Britain, or France. You should know that by reading what I asked you.

Do you believe that we should stand idly by and let Iran gain nuclear weapons and threaten the world?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't see where we would have a choice but to do so if Iran chose to go that direction, especially with 150,000 troops who would be placed in even greater peril if President Bush or a President McCain started a war with Iran.

12. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Okay.

Why was that so hard?

So it seems you are saying that the supposed peril of 150,000 troops more important than the peril of Iran having a nuclear weapon to threaten the world with. Have I understood you correctly, and if I have, what is the basis for your assertion?

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    When they are our troops - you bet.

14. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

First, there were two parts of my question, and you only answered one.

The second question is, What is the basis for your assertion.

Now a follow up question: In your mind, at what point would it be important to address Iran's nuclear capability?

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) I put my country first.

2) If there was ever actionable, 100% verifiable information that Iran - or any nation - was about to use a nuclear weapon against these United States or our interests.

16. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

So if Iran developed and used nuclear weapons or threatened to use nuclear weapons against other countries, how would you recommend the US respond?

17. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    It would depend upon what the situation was and what could be done, what options were available at that point in time.

18. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do have one question: would one of our allies, having been threatened, wonder about the reaction from "those" United States? :D

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well, let's compare some nations to these United States :): Great Britain has nuclear weapons, France has nuclear weapons, Russia has nuclear weapons, China has nuclear weapons, Pakistan has nuclear weapons, Israel has nuclear weapons, India has nuclear weapons, maybe even North Korea has nuclear weapons.

I figure that all of these nations can take care of themselves if Iran ever threatened them with a nuclear weapon.