1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator McCain is a Flashback to Senator Dole in 1996

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Apr 4, 2008.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not really.

McCain is not running against an incumbent with a soon to be found out zipper problem.

Sounds like the writer's main problem with McCain is his age.

3. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Another McCain problem is his seeming satisfaction in not embracing the right wing of the party....Looks to me like he may succeed without it, because he'll get that vote anyway. Another hold your nose and vote thingy... I really like the way the Dem's are proceeding...

4. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

You know, I'm probably going to end up not voting this election year because of the choices--so I'm by no means a McCain supporter. But this quote from the article bugs me:
    McCain's response so far has been to joke about being older than dirt and having more scars than Frankenstein. But in an age of Botox, boob jobs and Facebook, this strategy doesn't work.

I get the writer's point, which DOES look like "an age problem". And I get the implication--Obama's got youth and vigor and "looks good". But all this kind of commentary does is make me upset at ALL of them.....if I'm supposed to be impressed by someone's SUPERFICIAL qualities--what does that say??? That I'm too stupid to look beyond the surface....or that there's no depth of character and conviction to search for to begin with?

:BangHead:

5. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

There is no high quality candidate this year. There has not been since 1984. At best, a conservative is going to have to hold his nose in the voting booth to vote for McCain. A third party conservative does no good unless he or she can win.

Maybe we are getting the candidates we deserve. Aren't we the ones that chose them?

6. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I firmly believe this...Our church went through an ugly, and avoidable split about 5 years ago, and we are now reaping our just rewards. I knew we would. Just like when Israel wanted their own King, other than God. They got Saul.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe we were better off as a nation with the smoke-filled rooms.

8. rbell

rbell Active Member

Depends on who was in those rooms, doesn't it? :laugh:

I found the article intriguing...I do see some parallels between McCain & Dole....though I found Dole more suited for the job of Commander in Chief than I do McCain.

9. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Another good reason to vote for Obama! :laugh:

10. rbell

rbell Active Member

Of course, "smoke filled rooms" makes a comeback with a vengeance in the party of the Unelected Delegate Not Bound by the Will of the People (superdelegate)...