1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Obama's Acceptance Speech

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by KenH, Aug 28, 2008.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Deleted post

#21 NaasPreacher (C4K), Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  2. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

You know, I can see a Christian voting for Obama while holding their nose the whole time. Maybe they were raised Democrat their whole life, they hate rich people - whatever the case may be - I can see how a Christian can pull the lever for the pro-abortion, secular humanist Obama.

But what disheartens me and what I cannot comprehend is how some professing Christians are on the verge of idolatry with this man - how they openly campaign and put all their hope and excitement over a pro-abortion, secular humanist. I mean why the excitement over a man who is going to appoint secular humanist judges that will assuredly keep abortion legal in this country for decades, if not centuries? They will rape the Constitution with their law-making from the bench. This is worth getting excited for? This is worth all the rah-rah? This is worth all the veneration of a mere man? And this is being done by professing Christians? It is very sad to witness such betrayal of Christ over a mere man.

You know, I will probably vote for McCain, but will do it holding my nose, just like I did when I voted for Bush. Shoot, as much as I liked Ronald Reagan, I never would have put him on the pedestal that you Obama supporters are doing. Are politics really that important to you that you put all your hope in who gets elected? I don't understand. Christ's kingdom is not of this world.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. JustChristian

JustChristian New Member

Just exactly did the "Anti-Abortion" candidate George Bush do to stop abortion in the last 8 years? Very, very little. This is the abortion law that was upheld by a dominant Republican Supreme Court which upheld Roe vs. Wade. So which party made abortion the law of the land? Which party has done anything to stop it? This LIE that the Republican Party is somehow "God's Party" needs to stop right now. It is destroying the church in America.

5. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

If you read my post, you'll notice that I said nothing about the GOP being God's Party. In fact, my post implies the opposite. And I'll state it unequivocally now: Neither party is "God's Party."

But I'm curious as to how this strawman of yours is destroying the church in America? Talk about an overstatement.

6. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Obama's speech was a B- or C+ at best. Best speech of the convention was from Montana Gov Brian Schweitzer, followed by Bill Clinton's always great oratory. Nowhere near the best speech Obama ever delivered. Vagaries galore, he had an opportunity to hit it out of the park and wasted it.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Andy's right. I've never seen such worshipping of a man. I'm just too independent and liberterian to worship a politician this much.

8. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

I heard him say that he was going to cut taxes for 95% of Americans. Okay. Great I'm for it.

I heard him say that he was going to provide the same health care benefits, for every American who wants them, as our elected representatives get. However, he failed to mention how he is going to pay for this by a massive Health Care Tax on us all.

I heard him say that he is going to save Social Security. However, he failed to mention that he plans to do so by instituting a new tax on everyone with an annual income of $200,000 or more.

These are the kind of things I talking about when I say he failed to explain how he is going to do all the things he promised he will do.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

I was going to agree with you and then I had to reconsider. The other one would be RW.

10. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Obama believes that the first place to look for ways to strengthen Social Security is the payroll tax system. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/seniors/

So he is going to increase the amount of Social Security Taxes that are taken out of our paychecks.

Expand Retirement Savings Incentives for Working Families: Obama will ensure savings incentives are fair to all workers by creating a generous savings match for low and middle-income Americans. His plan will match 50 percent of the first $1,000 of savings for families that earn less than $75,000. The savings match will be automatically deposited into designated personal accounts. Over 80 percent of these savings incentives will go to new savers. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/seniors/

He fails to explain how he is going to pay for these federal matching funds. More taxes? You bet…

Ensure Heating Assistance: Obama will increase funding for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) which helps low-income citizens — many of them seniors — pay their winter heating and summer cooling bills. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/seniors/

How’s he gonna pay for this? More taxes? You bet….

Reverse Bush Tax Cuts for the Wealthy: Obama will protect tax cuts for poor and middle class families, but he will reverse most of the Bush tax cuts for the wealthiest taxpayers. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/fiscal/

He is going to reverse the Bush tax cuts for the “wealthy.” However, he does not define what the term “wealthy” means. Will he reverse the tax cut for those couples that earn $100,000.00 per year? Where is the line to be drawn?

Zero to Five Plan: Obama's comprehensive "Zero to Five" plan will provide critical support to young children and their parents. Unlike other early childhood education plans, Obama's plan places key emphasis at early care and education for infants, which is essential for children to be ready to enter kindergarten. Obama will create Early Learning Challenge Grants to promote state "zero to five" efforts and help states move toward voluntary, universal pre-school. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

How’s he gonna pay for this? More taxes? You bet….

Expand Early Head Start and Head Start: Obama will quadruple Early Head Start, increase Head Start funding and improve quality for both. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

How is he gonna pay for this? More taxes? You bet….

Affordable, High-Quality Child Care: Obama will also provide affordable and high-quality child care to ease the burden on working families. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

How’s he gonna pay for this? More Taxes? You bet…

Address the Dropout Crisis: Obama will address the dropout crisis by passing his legislation to provide funding to school districts to invest in intervention strategies in middle school - strategies such as personal academic plans, teaching teams, parent involvement, mentoring, intensive reading and math instruction, and extended learning time. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

Expand High-Quality Afterschool Opportunities: Obama will double funding for the main federal support for afterschool programs, the 21st Century Learning Centers program, to serve one million more children. Source: http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

Anyway, you get the picture. The junk on his website, at the link you provided, is same junk he spouted off about in his acceptance speech. A bunch of promises that made people feel good because “uncle BHO is lookin out for me and mine” However, there is not a single mention of the massive tax increases that will be necessary to do all the things he has promised to do. Don’t be duped.

#30 Bible-boy, Aug 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2008
  11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Helloooo?:wavey:

12. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Perhaps all the BHO supporters did not see this material in my previous post at the bottom of page 3 so I am repeating it here. Hopefully someone can answer these questions.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I saw it. You disagree with his plans. That is your right.

14. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Wrong. In addition to my disagreement I pointed out specific things he promised to do, per his own website content, and failed to explain how he is going to pay for those big government promises. Hopefully some of you BHO supporters can explain it before you cast a blind vote for bunch of promises without knowing how they will be brought about.:tonofbricks:

15. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
  16. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Nope. It is the same empty promises that are on his website. However, even this new link you provided fails to answer HOW he is going to pay for all the things he is promising to do. Did you read the material at this link before you offered it to me?

17. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    He mentioned during the Saddleback forum that he plans to raise taxes on higher income familes (> $250,000/year) and lower taxes for middle and lower income familes (< $150,000/year).

18. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

So how is a "modest increase" on the incomes of those who make more than $250,000 per year going to pay for all the things BHO is promising? The math does not workout.

19. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Regardless of what I post about Senator Obama's plans you are not going to be satisfied, Bible-boy. I have better things to do with my posting time than argue with a brick wall on this subject.

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Actual he said most of his programs would be funded by closing the corporate loopholes like tax breaks for off shoring American jobs. He plans to only raise personal income taxes on the top 5% of the people. However, this too might be sizable increase after looking at the Forbes top list of billionaires...