1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senator Stevens is 'the secret senator'

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by JamieinNH, Aug 30, 2006.

1. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The identity of the blogosphere's "secret senator" has been revealed.

CNN has confirmed that Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, has placed a hold on a bill that would require the government to publish online a database of federal spending.

"He does have a hold on the bill," Stevens' spokesperson Aaron Saunders told CNN. "At the time he placed the hold he notified Sen. [Tom] Coburn and his staff and identified several questions we had with the bill. Two weeks ago Sen. Coburn named Stevens as having a hold on the bill, so we don't consider it a secret."

Senate tradition allows any senator to keep a piece of legislation from reaching the Senate floor by placing a hold on the bill.
    Coburn's office confirmed that Coburn had revealed Stevens' hold during a town hall meeting in Oklahoma two weeks ago.

The bill has become a cause célèbre for both liberal and conservative bloggers as they tried to uncover the "secret senator" who had blocked passage of the Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act (S. 2590). The bill was introduced earlier this year by Sens. Barack Obama, D-Illinois, and Coburn, R-Oklahoma.

STORY LINK

I wonder why he don't want accoutablity?

Jamie

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This action by Senator Stevens is outrageous!

3. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

What did he do in English?

4. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

I would think there might be a few democrats who don't want to see that bill pass, as well as the republicans.

Kudos to Obama and Coburn for fighting for us.

5. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Uhm....

"Sen. Ted Stevens, R-Alaska, has placed a hold on a bill that would require the government to publish online a database of federal spending"

Jamie

6. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

Agreed. I think both parties are corupted, but it is good to see some of them wanting to show the public what they're doing.

A publicily traded company has to submit paperwork and show what it's actions/profits/losses and such are each year, why not have a similar thing for the Congress.

Accountablity is the Key!

Jamie

7. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

"Senator Stevens wants to ensure this bill is not going to create another layer of bureaucracy," said Aaron Saunders, Stevens' spokesman.

Stevens usually does things for a reason, and things aren't always what they seem.

8. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

While that does have a sound of truth to it, when you're talking about laws and politicians, but this is a quote from the article that would seem to dispell this reasoning....

"Senator Stevens sits on the committee where this bill was considered and never raised any objections because he skipped the hearings," Hart said. "His specific concerns were addressed at the hearings he skipped, and his office has yet to meet with us to discuss his concerns despite repeated requests."

Jamie

9. Daisy

Daisy New Member

He is also Senate senior member of the majority party, which makes him third in line for President, former Chairman of the Appropriations Committee and current Chairman of the Defense Appropriations Subcommittee. Alaska has been in the top oinkers in pork-barrel lists (and is #1 again for 2006).

High on the list of pork projects is the infamous Bridge to Nowhere (actually to an island of 50 residents and an airport) which was awarded $430 million in last year's transportation appropriation bill - which Coburn (Republican from Oklahoma) tried to redirect to fixing I-10 across Lake Pontchartrain which was devastated by Katrina. Coburn lost.

Source: Stevens Senate Site

Source: SeattleTimes (via the Washington Post & AP): Oct 21, 2005

Citizens Against Government Waste: Pigbook

10. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I didn't know that Senator Stevens is president pro tempore of the Senate. For anyone wanting to know here is the current list of succession:

• The Vice President Richard Cheney
    • Speaker of the House John Dennis Hastert
    • President pro tempore of the Senate1 Ted Stevens
    • Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice
    • Secretary of the Treasury Henry Paulson
    • Secretary of Defense Donald H. Rumsfeld
    • Attorney General Alberto Gonzales
    • Secretary of the Interior Dirk Kempthorne
    • Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns
    • Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez2
    • Secretary of Labor Elaine Chao3
    • Secretary of Health and Human Services Mike Leavitt
    • Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Alphonso Jackson
    • Secretary of Transportation Vacant
    • Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman
    • Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings
    • Secretary of Veterans Affairs Jim Nicholson
    • Secretary of Homeland Security4 Michael Chertoff
    NOTE: An official cannot succeed to the Presidency unless that person meets the Constitutional requirements.
    1. The president pro tempore presides over the Senate when the vice president is absent. By tradition the position is held by the senior member of the majority party.
    2. Carlos Gutierrez was born in Cuba and is ineligible.
    3. Elaine Chao was born in Taiwan and is ineligible.
    4. In late July 2005, the Senate passed a bill moving the Homeland Security secretary to number 8 on the list. The bill is awaiting House approval.

- www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0101032.html

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

The "bridge to nowhere" actually has reasonable military applications. Almost every airport up here is built to handle 767s, so that in a war, they can handle military cargo planes. You will find isolated villages with populations under 1000 with no roads to them and difficult to access that have a huge airport for that very reason. The "bridge to nowhere" links one of these airports to the mainland.

Periodically, an international flight lands in a remote, isolated village because of mechanical problems or to drop off an unruly passenger. (Think about how unhappy the FBI people will be to go to one of these places in the dead of winter to pick that guy up!) Often, these jets will be left there for months because they cannot get to it with repair equipment.

But, sometimes pork is just pork.

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

You've explained the airport very well, but not the $230 million for the bridge. I believe that you guys have some horrendously difficult weather up there - would the bridge be passable if airplanes couldn't fly?

Our former senator used to term himself "Senator Pothole" because he was good at getting fed money for local problems. This bill seems, on the face of it, a step in the right direction.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

When can airplanes not fly? I've seen some fog that did make it dangerous, though. I drive a school bus, and my route is up and down a mountain 3 times per day, and I've done it with 3 feet of fresh snow on top of 6 inches of ice.

But, I would think that the bridge probably has to built to withstand the weather, and I think it's a pretty long bridge.

I would agree that on the surface the bill seems like a step in the right direction. However, as is often the case, things are merely political grandstanding and are detrimental in the long run.

I would like to see what Stevens has to say about it.

14. JamieinNH

JamieinNH New Member

15. The Galatian

The Galatian New Member

Credit where credit is due. This is one of the best things he's done for America.

16. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

According to the MSNBC article that Jamie posted, Sen. Robert Byrd of West Virginia also had a hand in delaying this legislation.

Wonder why he opposed it?