1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Senators Threaten Disney

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by JFox1, Sep 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Antagonism at its finest.:thumbs:

2. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

and what did gays have to do with this? You're supposed to be celebrating Disney taking a Conservitave take to the 911 issue!

3. DeeJay

DeeJay New Member

:love2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I took part unintentionally in highjacking the thread. Im sorry.

5. Daisy

Daisy New Member

The trick is to read them in the order in which they occur and to realize that each post is in reponse to the included quote.

I'll lay them out head to toe for you and bold the references:

Can you see now that the connection is that each remark is in response to the statement preceding it or do you need it mapped out with phrase by phrase analysis?

6. Not_hard_to_find

Site Supporter

Unnecessary. Obviously I cannot follow your logic in including
    in the midst of a liberal / conservative discussion. Guess that's what I find so irritating -- the inability to remain on topic. Easiest thing to do is remove the irritation and return to rationality. What I also find illogical is my not having done so much sooner.

7. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Burn the flag but dont speak about this. :confused:

8. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Oh. Then why did you bring carpro's statements into it if you think that part is clear? You started & ended your previous post with quotes from him and asked how we got there. What was your point?

Oh. Perhaps you should have stated that clearly instead of rambling on and on about carpro.

Here is the logic, spelled out for you:
    Someone stated that Disney (the company, not the man) was liberal. I don't think it is liberal and the only example of why one would mistake it for being so that I could come up with is that their theme parks occasionally have - but don't sponsor - "gay days". Such toleration, apart from the legal necessity, is better explained by the corporation's being capitalist rather than being "liberal".
    Do you follow that logic or not?

This thread seems to be about politics (Senators) and Disney, not liberal/conservatism. The capitalistic bent of the Disney corporation is on point.

Since the OP wasn't yours, I don't see it as your call.

Presenting the argument as a false dilemma (liberal/conservative) is not only not rational, but a common, well-known logical fallacy (linkie to explanation of term).

9. hill

hill New Member

I don't see Disney continuing on this project unless there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Disney is not about to aid the Republicans in an election year. They are hard core lefties.

10. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Why do you think that? I thought Disney was all about "family values", which the right-wing has co-opted, and a bowdlerized version of life in America.

11. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your paranoia is showing.:laugh:

12. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Great, yet another idiotic derail attempt from carpo.

I asked hill why he thinks Disney is/are "hard core lefties" - that's an on-topic question, and anyone who believes as he does is welcome to answer the question.

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Id say that was pretty much on topic. And to answer it I would also say that gay day derails any family values. Disney being mormon established family values at its conception. But they are being systematiclly erroded.

14. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Thanks, Rm.

Was Walt Disney a Mormon? He was a staunch Republican and Mormons are not exactly liberal, especially in the civil rights area.

But how is the company "liberal"?

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

If you will notice, Disney (the company) took a hard left turn when Disney (the man) died. They came out with their first PG movie, and the downward spiral began.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea the left turn has occured in the last 25 years. Significantly over the last 10. It isnt written policies that make Disney co. liberal. But it is the employees who make things happen. I know you think that disney isnt a resume item but it actually is. Disney has actors, stunt people, set builders and anything else you find in the entertainment industry.

Orlando is home to alot of site shootings for tv series and movies. I myself was an extra in the Warner Bros. film "Rosewood" (not an edifying movie) and a couple teenie bopper sitcoms. The area has become a big attraction for actors or aspiring actors, and Disney provides emploment for their down times.

All along the I-4 Corridor (which includes Disney) has become Democrat where it was for many years largely Repub. The I-4 corridor is a hot stumping ground during campaigning. Disney jobs provide income for this liberal base.

17. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Evidence that the company is liberal?

What I actually said was that parading around a themepark in a giant mouse suit is not anything an actor would put on his resume. Why the misrepresentation?

Strangely enough, they had them in Uncle Walt's day, too!

Nevertheless, wearing a Pluto costume in a theme park is the sort of thing actors leave off their resumes when looking for acting work.

Man, you are really reaching. That is one of the lamest claims I've ever seen - because Disney employs low-level people who may or may not be liberal, that makes them a liberal company? Are you saying a truly right-wing corporation bases its employment practices in part on the applicant's political affiliation?

18. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The thrust of the left turn came about by Micheal Eisener. One example of this is he hired Eric Foner a Professor at Columbia U to revamp the "Hall of Presidents".

Foner a left wing activist refocused this attraction from a focus on Presidential leadership as the embodiment of Democracy to exploring American racial and class history.

Source; "The Mouse Betrayed" Regenery Pub. pge269.

A predominate saying at Disney is "Disney aint here anymore". Same source.

19. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy you really have to have some energy around here. You guys take insignificant details and make a federal case out of them. Im not sure if it is ignorance or spin.

I didint say this. Please provide the quote.

What I did say is:

It isnt written policies that make Disney co. liberal. But it is the employees who make things happen.

Not the same thing as what you wrote.

20. Daisy

Daisy New Member

Eisener is gone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.