1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sending the light into Candoble and other mixed African Religions?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by UnchartedSpirit, Oct 4, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

I have the instinct to take whatever I'm exposed to and try some way to leave my mark upon it. The only reasion I feel that I went into animating, music, and storytelling is that they've been the things I've beeen doing the longest. Well, recently (today) I just witnessed the premiere of a South American drum group that gave a real riviting performance, which stimulated something I've wanted to do for a long time. See I've also practised African dance and percussion music from many different countries, including the ones brought to South America and I have a close bond with this type of music. It is now one of my goals to do a short or feature-legnth animated film based on this music which will forge two of my passions together, if not perform with the groups I'm connected with who tour worldwide.
    The trouble is; where does my witness fit into all this? The majority of South American music is traditionally used for the worship of the 400+ Fulani(/?) dieties; and this religion is becoming popular and takes on many different forms internationally due to the popularity of the music. These kind of people tend to be poly-diest or whatever it's called and will mix anything from Krishna and "Mother Earth" to Catholicism into their mythology. Therefore bringing the message of one absolute diety and nothing else is very offensive to them, and I don't have the power to change or debate their reasoning. I couldn't do a movie that uses their music with a Christ-based message since it would look contradictory in their eyes...I couldn't do a film that isn't Christ-based because though it would help the majority audiences accept this awesome music it would also help spread their religion...and I can't play with them because I don't want to be helping them in their idolatry...Then what's the best way for me to witness to them?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Keep your vision, UnchartedSpirit. God will lead you at the right time in the right way if you are totally dedicated to Him. Pray, "try the door knobs," attempt opportunities, travel down little known paths that are "less traveled by" (as Robert Frost said).

There is no way you can present the Gospel to idol-worshippers without being offensive--take it from me, I've offended quite a few. What you have to believe in is the incredible power of the Gospel (Rom. 1:16) to break the bonds of idolatry (and they are chains of sin). But I think of many here in Japan down through the years who have, through the Holy Spirit, broken the bonds of idol worship: Miki (jr. high girl), Mrs. Hayashizaki, Mrs. Yoshida, the Uematsus, Mrs. Fujii (though she's not saved yet), Mr. and Mrs. Ueno (he's 92!), etc.

You are right not to join in their music because of the idolatrous connections. You must separate from idolatry. However, that doesn't mean separating from the idolator. You have to love them to Christ.

Just give the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit and never mind the opposition. Opposition to the Gospel is actually a sign that God is working, since it means Satan is desperate to keep people from being saved! Rejoice when people are offended by the Gospel! It may mean they have waked up and are now thinking about God. :thumbs: