1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seow's Hebrew Text Book

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Bob Dudley, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

My wife and I have gone back to Capital Bible Seminary to pick up Hebrew. We are about a month and a half into the semester. Here's my questions: Has anyone out there used Seow's "A Grammer for Biblical Hebrew"? If so, what did you think about it?

That is our text and I am not real happy with it so far. We are into chapter VI and it is not very user friendly. Fortunately, the professor is very good

Any comments?

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't have Seow's. But Hebrew itself isn't very user friendly! :D

Have fun! ;)

3. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Outstanding, I wish we had more people like ya'll (the southern you plurual there) in our churches! :thumbs:

It is a good Hebrew grammar from what I remember. We used another and Gesinius' book in our Hebrew classes.

The key there will be the Professor. Hebrew is very difficult, particularly for English speakers who are used to vowels and reading left to right. Not to mention the basic construction of a Hebrew sentence is completely different from English. The book is an aid, but the professor is the main thing.

If you are getting stuck on stuff I might recommend Concordia Seminary's Hebrew classes are that free on iTunesU. If you have iTunes (you need a free copy) just head over to iTunes store, then iTunesU, then find Concordia Seminary. Free video lectures for the first two semesters of Biblical Hebrew. Outstanding, and free, stuff there.

Blessings on your journey through the first 2/3s of the Bible! :D

4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What a great free resource!

I'm a slow, methodical learner.
    The more I'm exposed to something, the better I understand it.
    Variety helps a lot.

While I'm not familiar with Soew's text, I have quite a variety that offers me the different viewpoints that my way of learning demands.

Thanks for a new resource!

Rob

5. michaelbowe

michaelbowe Member

I too am taking Hebrew, but at a different Seminary. My prof doesn't like the book either, he states it over analyzes things which is confusing in Hebrew, just stick to the need to know and develop from there. I also would be sunk had it not been for the prof, the book is almost ununderstandable. There is a handbook to that book it was recommended to me by the book store the ISBN is 0-687-00834-4. Hope this helps.