1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seperation (including secondary sep.)

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by menageriekeeper, Aug 7, 2011.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What does the Bible really teach about who we should separate from?

How far should we seperate?

How many of the issues we seperate over are truly Biblical issues and how many are mere preferences? (like we all know Luke 2427 and I aren't going to worship in the same place lol, but *I* recognize that is *my* preference and not an issue of Biblical proportions)

I'd like the discussion to start with what scripture actually says about Christian's seperating from one another, as though I know nothing about it, and include historical bases/excuses for one group seperating from another (excluding the initial seperation from the RC as it was/is clearly corrupt in seeking to control man's free access to God).

I am having distinct issues at the moment on the idea of "being seperate" within Christian circles. It seems that most of the reasons I have been "seperate" are based mostly on someone else's idea of what is "worldly" or "not really Christian at all" rather than a true perspective of what scripture really expects.

So help me out and tell me what you believe God has to say about seperating from other denominations/groups/individuals.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    MK

15And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

26Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.

14Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

15And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?

16And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

17Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.
    18And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

1Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God

be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

31When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

32And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

33And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Separation from certain brothers:

Now I urge you, brethren, keep your eye on those who cause dissensions and hindrances contrary to the teaching which you learned, and turn away from them. (Rom 16:17)

Now we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you keep away from every brother who leads an unruly life and not according to the tradition which you received from us. (2Th 3:6)

If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame. (2Th 3:14)

I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.
    But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler--not even to eat with such a one. (1 Co 5:9-11)

From participation with the lost in their deeds:

Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even expose them; (Eph 5:11)

for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. (Eph 5:12)

But all things become visible when they are exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. (Eph 5:13)

For this reason it says, "Awake, sleeper, And arise from the dead, And Christ will shine on you." (Eph 5:14)

Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, (Eph 5:15)

Unbelievers (literally not "yoked together" with them):

Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? (2Co 6:14)

Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? (2Co 6:15)

Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM AND WALK AMONG THEM; AND I WILL BE THEIR GOD, AND THEY SHALL BE MY PEOPLE. (2Co 6:16)

"Therefore, COME OUT FROM THEIR MIDST AND BE SEPARATE," says the Lord. "AND DO NOT TOUCH WHAT IS UNCLEAN; And I will welcome you. (2Co 6:17)

"And I will be a father to you, And you shall be sons and daughters to Me," Says the Lord Almighty. (2Co 6:18)

4. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Acts 15:36ff

And some days after Paul said unto Barnabas, Let us go again and visit our brethren in every city where we have preached the word of the Lord, and see how they do. And Barnabas determined to take with them John, whose surname was Mark. But Paul thought not good to take him with them, who departed from them from Pamphylia, and went not with them to the work. And the contention was so sharp between them, that they departed asunder one from the other: and so Barnabas took Mark, and sailed unto Cyprus; And Paul chose Silas, and departed