1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Septuagint and Gen. 6

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Humblesmith, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have heard several sources repeat that the phrase "sons of God" in Genesis 6:2, 4 is translated "angels" in the septuagint. However, I have checked two copies of the septuagint and not found this to be the case. In Gen. 6 the septuagint says "hoi huios to theou" using Strongs 5207 and 2316, saying "sons of God." The first use of "angels" (aggelos, Strongs 32) is in Gen. 16:7, when it speaks of "the angel of the Lord." (I have Rahlfs version, and I checked another one on an online site)

Now, my language skills are by no means expert, so I thought I'd check some of the folks on here who are better at greek. Am I missing something obvious? Or is this a misconception? Can some of you language experts check for me?

I never thought to check until yesterday........It just strikes me as odd, since I've heard this from several very educated folks.........

Thanks in advance

2. Brandon C. Jones

Brandon C. Jones New Member

Here's the opinion of someone who's also no language expert.

Yes, you are correct above that the Greek you mention in the OP is literally "sons of God."

I'm not in the library now so have no access to any critical editions of the LXX, but if I recall it's like a kethib/qere (what is written/what is read) and the LXX has angels for "sons of God" in this text as what is to be read. Here's the only thing I found searching briefly online but a trip to your library will surely render better results. This website can help you with fascimiles and what not here: http://www.kalvesmaki.com/LXX/texts.htm

I don't know if this is accurate:

"The statement (Gen. 6:1) that the 'sons of God' married the daughters of men is explained of the fall of the angels, in Enoch, vi-xi, and codices, D, E F, and A of the Septuagint read frequently, for 'sons of God', [SIZE=+1] oi aggeloi tou qeou[/SIZE] ['angels of God']. Unfortunately, codices B and C are defective in Ge., vi, but it is probably that they, too, read [SIZE=+1] oi aggeloi[/SIZE] in this passage, for they constantly so render the expression 'sons of God'; cf. Job i, 6; ii, 1; xxxviii, 7; but on the other hand, see Ps. ii, 1; lxxxviii, & (Septuagint). Philo, in commenting on the passage in his treatise 'Quod Deus sit immutabilis', i, follows the Septuagint."
    - Hugh Pope, The Catholic Encyclopedia

#2 Brandon C. Jones, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2007