1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Serious Seeker

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by KayDee, Jan 4, 2002.

1. KayDee

KayDee New Member

Bro. Ray, I don't really know how else to say it other than the way I did. It is because of my study of the Word - that I am now studying what learned men have to say about what I read in the Word. I will always check what they say against the Word to make sure it is so...comparing Scripture with Scripture and within the context. I have manyword study tools and have been trained how to use them but that doesn't make me a Greek or Hebrew scholar...far from it.

I am not afraid to investigate. My Lord is able to lead me into all truth.

The context of the verse you gave me is speaking of false teachers. If we were never supposed to listen to teachers, why did Christ give the gift of teaching to some, Eph. 4:11? Context not only includes the verses surronding but the whole counsel of God. God's Word does not contradict itself - if it seems to, I am the one with the problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Always keep in mind that God wrote the epistles and Gospels to simple people like sheep herders, artisans, farmers, and shop keepers. The simple meaning in most cases is really what Jesus wants us to know.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Scripture says over and over about being chosen...it really is that simple. However, even Peter said Paul could be hard to understand.

Once again, thank you for your concern. God has given me a thirst for His Word that can't be quenched. When I ask the Lord to give me understanding, I have faith that He will do just that.

In His Grace
    KayDee

2. KayDee

KayDee New Member

dfd2

We must have been writing at the same time. I'm glad you gave the reference regarding Peter saying Paul could be hard to understand - I couldn't remember where it was.

Thanks for the encouragement.

In His Word
    KayDee

[ January 12, 2002: Message edited by: KayDee ]

3. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I apologize to each one on the message board. I am new at this posting and didn't realize there are more than one pages.

"Ray"

4. JAMES2

JAMES2 New Member

Ray:
    Apology accepted. I've been on the board for awhile, and I still manage to do that--have a discussion when one is already going on on other section. I think I've only been yelled at once, which I can handle. Welcome, and have fun writing and reading.
    James2

5. KayDee

KayDee New Member

Bro. Ray

Not a problem - even if that is not the only time you slip up, you're doing far better than I. I didn't even notice you were new to the board - so may I add, a belated welcome. Just beware, these boards are addicting. I lurked around here for months before I had the courage to post. I now feel like I have a "batch" of new friends that care for me and want to help in any way they can. The Lord just keeps on blessing and blessing! See you out there.....

In His Grace
    KayDee

[ January 14, 2002: Message edited by: KayDee ]

6. Ray Berrian

Ray Berrian New Member

I think some Christians think that it was only under the New Covenant of grace that God the Spirit was and is at work. As I read the Old Covenant I also notice that God was appealing to the hearts and lives of the people. We read about the changed lives of Ruth and Rahab and others who were not originally a part of the Hebrew congregation. In Genesis 6:3 the Word says that the Holy Spirit was contending for the souls of humankind. Apparently, Noah was the human agent for God in this endeavor of preaching to the lost. Just because God did not inscribe in holy writ on every other page that the Holy Spirit was appealing to humankind, does not mean that He was not actively involved with people. We know he was the son of Lamech and tenth in descent from Adam.

Under the New Covenant the Holy Spirit, the church [the bride of Christ] and whoever hears the truth--are urged to invite others to the superlative grace we have received through Christ. {Revelation 22:17}.

Respectfully,

"Ray"