1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermon/Invitation

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by Bartimaeus, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

If you do not believe invitations are scriptural this is Not for you.

I would like to know if folks believe we are too easy at invitation time. Gypsy Smith would preach his message and then close the message and then make the statement......."If you are in need of Christ today, stand up." The book I just finished reading stated this for a fact. The writer said many would just stand and then they were dealt with. I thought that interesting in light of today's make it as easy and as quiet and as private as we can style.

Any thoughts and suggestions?

Thanks Bartimaeus

2. Lagardo

Lagardo New Member

Personally, I've always noticed that giving options like that actualyl make it easier and a lot of people follow the crowd.

Private is not always easy, and public is not always the most sincere.

How to do an invitation is quite a subject...I look forward to reading this thread

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The invitations I give are always a part of the sermon. It is such a part of the sermon that often thers do not know it is an invitation so they continue to listen. I worked hard in the past to not make people feel manipulated and to make the response a normal part of the sermon. I think a well thought out sermon derived from the text has as a part of it a response which the text demands. The invitation should not be a mini sermon tacked on the end of a sermon already given.

4. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

gb .....I agree with your statement. Of course we all agree that it should lead by the Spirit of God regardless of how it is done.

Does anyone else know of other speakers and can tell us of those experiences?

One time the Lord spoke to my heart and I asked the congregation if anyone wanted to stand and confess their sin to the Lord publically and a woman stood and confessed that she was a theif and that the Lord had convicted her about it and she ask that our church pray for her.

Our ladies moved to embrace her and sat with her at her seat and consoled her and prayed with her.

Just one experience. How about if a pastor does the same thing every Sunday, same words, same song, same number of verses........?

Thanks Bartimaeus

5. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

My best friend says something to the effect of, "if you have not accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal savior, please remain seated." He continues to call to descipleship repeating the above many different ways while extending the right hand of fellowship.

Anyone who is seated while the others stand are witnessed to by a group he calls his warriors. Being honest, I don't know how I feel about the way he does the invitation. At times, it does feel awkward.

6. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

gb

I like it all ... I struggle with the last sentance, because I sometimes have special illustrations for the invitation.

God bless

Wayne

7. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would be more inclined to save that illustration for another text.

Years ago I was asked to preach for a pastor and I changed the sermon I had planned about two hours before. I found out later why during the invitation. I preached on trials from James and her cousin had just been murdered. That was my answer. We prayed for her and tried to encourage her.

8. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

gb

Did I read this correctly? It is late and I must confess that my eyes are crossing. It sounded like the pastor's cousin was killed and the pastor was a woman?

Wayne

9. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe that "invitations", per se, is scriptural; but the modern revivalist invitation system is not scriptural.

I recently visited a church that gave no invitation after the preaching. It seemed odd to me. But I have grown to despise the typical invitation, especially when preachers insist that somebody MUST come to the altar "if God is dealing with you". Some will actually demand or shame people into going to the altar. That's completely unscriptural.

I will agree that if an invitation is to be given, it should be for public decisions - i.e., to confess Christ.

10. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The response to invitations ought not to be guaged only by people coming forward. The response during the week is also part of the invitation

For example, if preaching on believers getting along with other believers, the invitation might be to go to the person you're having issues with. We have done that and people have sometimes responded in the invitation and sometimes during the week.

Or people being asked to trust Christ as Savior might respond publically, but they might also respond privately thru the week. Personally, I think that baptism is the biblical public profession of faith... but that's just me.:smilewinkgrin:

Every message ought to call for a specific decision or action.

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I do believe and usually end a message with a challenge to do a little better with our walk with Christ, I believe the invitation to discipleship is just that. It is an invitation to come to Christ.

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Tom Bryant wrote:
    Yes, you are right. We need to remember that this is not tantamount to an altar call or public invitation. We forget this and that's where our problems start or at least wind up.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It was a lady in the congregation who came forward whose cousin was murdered.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

TomVols, would you outline the difference between a public invitation and an altar call? And while you at it, explain the difference, if any, between a public invitation and some other kind implied in your post. I've always assumed they were different names for the same thing.

15. MorganT

MorganT New Member

16. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That works: "alter" your life through the altar call!

Here in Japan most churches are tiny, and the Japanese are easily embarassed (the famous "loss of face"), so while I usually preach for results and not just to teach, I usuallly just have them pray in their seats. I'll declare a silent minute of prayer and tell them to tell the Lord about it. Occasionally I'll also have them raise their hands and tell their pastor if it is an important decision.

I use the typical "come forward to trust in Christ" invitation only once every few years, when I know someone needs to get saved is in the congregation, someone I've already been working with in private. Mr. W. got saved that way in Yokohama years ago, then gave a wonderful testimony to the people while his wife stood with him and clapped! Up here in Hokkaido, Mr. Ueno responded to a similar invitation, and has been one of my most faithful members ever since.

17. mnw

mnw New Member

I hav enever given an altar call though it was and is fairly common in the circles I run in.

I do not have anything against the average altar call. I am against preachers getting pushy and having the final chorus of a hymn placed 3 dozen times.

Moody feared someone being ready to turn to the Lord but getting distracted by the world, so he would try to deal with them straight away.

The Salvation Army make you wait a week before you can make a profession (or they used to).

Spurgeon invited people to come by on the Monday if the Lord was dealing with them and they wanted to talk.

I would readily challenge people at the end of the message, but so far I have not invited them up to the front or to raise their hands or anything like that.

If they are visibly being challenged then I would speak with them after the service or the person they came with would speak with them.

Invitations can be used well to encourage and help a person to a point of decision. But they can also be harmful if done in the flesh.

18. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

invitations

The invitation IMO needs to be varied by the host.

Generally speaking when I give an invitation it is very short my reasoning is this if the Holy Spirit has been working on your heart and mind you need to obey immediately. Other times I will not give an invitation especially if it is one of those messages that is meant to cause people to ponder on the truth presented, once in a great while I will ask for an upraised hand if you are lost, but my favorite is if you are not saved would you look at me, and then I will encourage them to come to Christ. I seldom give an invitation for church membership or baptism preferring to speak personally to them one on one in order to answer specific questions and to present clearly our specific requirements for both.

Like many I am concerned about making the profession of faith to easy but do not know of any other way to handle it in a public manner and still extend an invitation for salvation, prayer etc.

thjplgvp