1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermon Preparation

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TheWinDork, Jun 12, 2006.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Windork,
    If you want to talk about the role of using commentaries in the homiletical process (I already adressed that in my post), good. If you want to talk about which commentaries are best for the pastor, I suggest starting another thread here in this forum. Thanks!

2. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

:eek: You preach for over an hour on one verse?

The pastors I have heard that do this end up repeating themselves about 3 times.

3. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

:laugh: TOO FUNNY! :laugh:

4. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I can do that... That's kinda where I wanted to go, But I thought I'd ask this first... Off to create another topic. :D

-WTD

5. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There are some phrases that can be preached on for 3 weeks, much less verses for 1 hour. I preached on one word (saints) for 2 weeks once, and it's one that I'm asked to repeat periodically. No need to rush through preaching the Bible.

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Whatever works for ya! :)

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I do a complete mini revival (3 day'er) with PS 100:5, more than an hour each night.

The LORD is good = I talk about good not being a verb but a noun. I usually hit on the good samaritan in the same light. He wasn't good because of the one incodent on the demascus road, he was good and Jesus told us one example of his goodness. I like to point out GOD doesn't have to good, after all, he is GOD and has all power.

His mercy is everlasting = continual mercy... I can't say enough on this subject.

Enduring truth = truth that withstands life ultimate test, time. Look at all the prophesies of old that are still standing up to the ultimate test. Until 1492 we thought the world was flat.

I get pretty wound up. I can't remember who said they sweat like a pig but i've been known to complete drench a suit. I mean like you can wring it out wet. Do I repeat myself, hhhmmmm, I may need to start listening to tapes of myself which is something I never do... I preach to long for me to listen to myself :)

8. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I believe that you will find that "good" is an adjective, not a noun.

Also, it's an old husband's tale that we thought the world was round up until 1492. The Greeks knew that it was a sphere, and someone (I believe Archimedes) actually had a pretty good idea of its size.

#28 Hope of Glory, Jun 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2006
  9. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Good can be a noun...since people traded in goods so it can mean more than a 'description'...it can be a quality, a benefit or a virtue. Which is what I believe he was refering to when he mentioned preaching about the Samaritan. Also, the term is "Old Wife's Tale" which is to imply gossip or rumors instead of actual fact. Why history shows that some believed the world was round they were often deemed lunatics and scoffed at. The majority of the scholars believed it "ended at the horizon" and thus was in fact flat.

Thought I would butt-in and muddy up the murky water :smilewinkgrin: :thumbs:

10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Psalm 100:5: For the LORD [is] good; his mercy [is] everlasting; and his truth [endureth] to all generations.

The passage he quoted has nothing to do with goods. It's an adjective. The LXX uses χρηστος, which means useful, profitable, good, agreeable, virtuous, etc.

Just a minor point, but the word he was quoting is an adjective.

Also, I would agree that many people (thanks to the church, mostly), had fallen into the belief that the world was flat, or limited, but that was a more recent development to the time aroun 1492, as much of the debate 1500 +/- years earlier was what size was the sphere. Now, they did believe for the most part the the Earth was the center of the universe, but very few believed that it was flat until later.

Ironically, there are adults today who believe the world is flat, and only 30% of 6th graders know that it's a sphere. There are also those who think that it's just a big conspiracy or a trick of God that makes it seem to be spherical.

11. TheWinDork

TheWinDork New Member

I think we all ought to get together and preach at one another, till we're all hoarse and can't speak no more. last one standing get's to buy all our dinners at the restaurant! :laugh:

Ah well, a guy can dream... :tongue3:

-WTD

12. John Ellwood Taylor

John Ellwood Taylor New Member

[FONT=&quot]To answer the OP:
    Here's how I was taught:
    1) Read the text ( read the book, read and reread the text: usually making observational notes)
    2) Translate the text (must admit to slacking here)
    3) Diagram the text (must admit to complete neglect here; though there is analysis there is no actual diagramming done here)
    4) apply exegesis ( this is where the lexical aids and technical commentaries com in to play) (some suggest using commentaries late in the game but to do proper exegesis I need help at this point. Note we're talking the more technical commentaries not the devotional, expositional types at this point)
    5)Form a preaching/teaching proposition from the exegetical proposition you've identified in step 4. In other words, now that you know what the text says, determine how you're going to communicate it.
    6) outline the proposition: (make sure each point of the homiletical outline supports the central proposition [i.e. no rabbit trails])
    7) Illustrate and apply the teaching (biblical illustrations mainly but always looking for other illustrations that will shine additional light on the biblical principle being taught)
    8) Write out the introduction, conclusion, and sermon title
    9) Write out the sermon (even if you don't take a full manuscript into the pulpit; the discipline of writing it out in full will force you to clarify your thinking)
    10 ) Practice the sermon with whatever you take into the pulpit (be comfortable enough with your notes/manuscript that your not tied to it)

Well, at least that how I was taught. It's works if you've developed the language skills and are disciplined and patient.[/FONT]

13. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

When David says the LORD is good, he is not saying the LORD is capable of being good when he wants or "all the time", he is describing one of GOD's many attributes. GOD is not just capable of being good, he is good. Just like he is LOVE, wise etc.... Yes he is capable of loving, but he is LOVE. Just as one who loveth not knoweth not GOD, I submit one who is not good, his father can't be GOD because GOD IS GOOD. Like I said, I can spend an hour easily making this point plain. But I believe it in my heart. GOD IS GOOD!

It is just like the fruit of the spirit, Paul is describing the composition of the spirit and not what the spirit is capable of. I hear people say I am capable of being loving or I cam capable of being meek but Paul is really saying you ARE MEEK. That's why Jesus said, "The Meek shall inherit..." and not those who are capable of being meek. Big, big, big difference.

EDIT: And the fact that you argue over who first found the world to be flat further supports my point, much of what man has thought to be true has later been disputed or found to be wrong. GOD's word has withstood the ultimate test and is still True to this day.

#33 LeBuick, Jun 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2006