1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Sermon Sourcebook - giving credit

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by larryjf, Nov 1, 2005.

1. larryjf

larryjf New Member

If someone gives a sermon that is taken from a book (eg. Nelsons Annual Preacher's Sourcebook) what is the proper way for giving credit to the writer of the sermon?

2. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Simply say that the sermon was given at such-and-such a place by so-and-so, and that you thought the message was so important that you wanted to share it with them as well.

3. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Don't do it and you won't have to worry about it [​IMG]

Seriously, first, never plagarize. Second, don't make a habit of repeating another whole sermon. Makes you come across as lazy. Once a year might be too much. Third, always give credit when you cite a quote, commentary, etc. Pretend as though that author/pastor was sitting there listening to you and your citation should not embarass you nor bother him.

4. larryjf

larryjf New Member

Thanks guys.
    I guess the best thing to use such books for is maybe for an outline or for a quote here and there.

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Took the words right out of my mouth...

6. Bro Tony

Bro Tony New Member

Amen!!! God has place you as the pastor/teacher in your church. Your people need to hear what God has laid on your heart. That is not to say ideas from other outlines may not be used, but our people need to be fed fresh food from their shepherd not second hand food from another.

God bless you as you share His truth,
    Bro Tony

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I wouldn't worry too much if you are using an annual preaching book, such as the one you mentioned. They are written with the intent of seeing them used by pastors. Besides, I'm not familiar with all the different books that do this kind of thing, but none of the ones that I have, have anything more then a brief introduction and an outline. There is no way you could read only what is written and come up with more then a sermonette. You are going to have to spend some time if you hope to get a sermon out what I have in the couple of books that I have bought over the years. I buy one every couple of years for ideas and illustrations, you can get them real cheap at the end of the year!

Now going online for example, finding some sermon, memorizing it and claiming it to be your own, that is a whole 'nother ballgame.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I even dislike using them for illustrations. Statistics can be dated; ancedotes can be limited and not applicable to a particular culture/town (Famers won't get a stock-market illustration, and CPAs probably won't get a carpenter's story). The best illustrations are ones that are outdated by the time a sermon/illustration book hits the shelves.
    Some good internet resources and the daily paper/weekly news mag give the best and freshest illustrations. There are websites that research articles from tons of newspapers and magazines and are searchable by topic.

I used to get sermon illustration newsletters and subscribe to illustration websites. I found that I got something usable maybe one out of every ten times. The only exception is if you use a lectionary text around the holidays (or anytime, for that matter) and you're getting a service tied to the lectionary. Even then, you might get one good illustration every couple of weeks or so.

9. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

TomVols is right! I very rarely use a "book bound" illustration---I have learned that they just don't "go over" good!

The best illustrations you can use comes from YOUR everyday life----just keep your eyes open to what's around you----keep your ears open to what you hear. Stay current with current day events----read 2-3 newspapers/daily---read history books---science books---mechanics books---listen to people---on and on----nothing is cut and dry----when doing illustrations for your sermons, people will know in about .25ths of a second whether you got that thing from a sermon illustration book or if you got it from everyday life!!

10. Maverick

Maverick Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't use anyone else's sermons so it is a non-issue with me.