1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Service Projects

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Pastor David, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

We are a small church, but I'm looking for ideas for service projects in our community. They may be outreach orientied, but I'm more concerned about finding ways that, as a church, we can simply serve in our area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Blessings,

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

Well David, I think you need to find a need before you can minister. I am sure there are needs in your community but I would need to know them before I could give any suggestions.

We have a lot of poverty in my area. We have a church that does a "family supper" every thursday. Not for thier church family, but for anyone in the community who wants to come eat for free.

Our food bank is about empty right now. We did our Souper Bowl drive, but the needs are so great right now we are collecting canned goods at every service.

I don't know if these ideas would work where you are or not.

3. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks Tentmaker,

We want to start a food pantry. How does that work?

Do ppl come to you, or do you seek out the needy?

Thanks,

4. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have tried in the past a tutoring service for children. From 3-6, for no charge, children under 12 could come and spend an hour (it was important to limit it to an hour so that we would be a free after school care facility) and receive help in reading, math etc, from people who had been screened and trained. Many were retired school teachers who wanted to help.

Look at your community and see the needs and then look at your church people to see how they can best meet those needs. It will be a match made in heaven.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We found a food pantry very difficult to keep running and storing food, keeping track of it all and so forth. So what we do now is to give grocery store gift cards to those who need it. We also will have meals for those who need it within the church who have an illness, new baby or some such thing.

We've also held baby showers for the local crisis pregnancy center - a great way to get things for the moms.

I agree with the others that you need to find out what the need is in your area and work with that. It won't help if you have a baby shower for a community of retirement homes. LOL Unless Sarah lives there..... ;)

6. Pastor David

Pastor David Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks everyone, for the helpful ideas.

We'll certainly be taking these under consideration

Blessings,

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

1. Feed the homeless.

2. Clothe the homeless.

3. Paint graffiti ridden areas.

4. Paint a facility where children gather.

5. Clean up a park.

6. Visit a nursing home regularly. Work with the staff. Love the old people.

7. Start an after school tutoring program in a high risk neighborhood.

8. Deliver meals to the elderly.

9. Host birthday parties for children in group homes or children's homes.

10. Host birthday parties at a nursing home.

8. North Carolina Tentmaker

David: You don't have to invent the wheel but you also don't have to do it just like someone else does. Look at your community's needs first.

As far as the food pantry, I was referring to our local food bank which our church supports but it is not a part of our church. It is a local non profit that is supported by several churches, organizations, and tax dollars. Our church supports the food bank by collecting canned goods. My family and I support the food bank by volunteering, making deliveries and preparing boxes.

The way our food bank works people come to us. We are open on Tuesday and Saturday mornings. Anyone who shows up and asks for it gets food. Shut ins and those who can't travel can also request food and we bring it to them. Depending on donations and what is available the food differs from week to week. We have some pick and choose items, mostly health and hygiene items but for the most part everyone gets the same box of food. Donations are way down right now. We are short of canned goods and have very little meat. Rice, flour, beans, and winter produce (squash, cabbage, greens) are what we have right now.

At our food bank no one is denied or turned away. There is no income level or proof of need. If someone asks for help we give it to them. Making deliveries I have seen the homes of many who ask for help. Some houses you walk in and you think, "why are they getting help, they have more than I do." Others you might think, "I can't believe a human being could live here." I think both are good for my kids to see. I tell them, we don't pass judgment, if someone asks for help, then we help. The biggest problem I see with this model is not that we give help to some who don't need it as much as others, but that there are many in our community to proud to ask for help when they need it.

A ministry that is a part of our church is our Christmas store. Here we gather gift items and food for distribution at Christmas time. We use the opposite approach here than the food bank. You may not ask for help, you have to be nominated by a church member. We go to the families that are nominated and tell them they have been selected. Then we bring them to the fellowship hall which has been transformed into a store. Clothes, gifts, food are all given to the family. Kids get age appropriate gifts and clothes that fit, but they also get to select items from behind closed doors for their parents. Everyone likes to get gifts at Christmas, but most of us have learned that there is more joy in giving. Even children need to be able to give something. We help fewer families with this model, but I believe we make a bigger difference to the families we do help.

Hope these are a help to you.