1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Serving the Lord's Supper

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by USN2Pulpit, Oct 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

Good evening all,

Last Sunday PM, we observed the Lord's Supper. Because we have one "deacon in training," I allowed him to serve the Lord's Supper. After service, a former pastor within my church was very upset. His point was that only ordained men could serve the Lord's Supper.

I don't want to dismiss his position without searching the scriptures and seeking wise council. Nevertheless, I can't think of a scripture that instructs us the way this gentleman "instructed" me, and I challenged him to show me this mandate in the Word.

So my question is this: is there a scriptural mandate as to "who" can serve the Lord's Supper - is it to be ordained men only, and am I wrong for having authorized a man that has been set aside by our church for deacon ministry? I will admit that my initial feeling is that the gentleman in question is placing the "traditions of man" at the same level of authority as holy scripture. Please give council on this issue...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. whatever

whatever New Member

There's no such scripture that I know of. Maybe there's one in the Apocrypha. I am not very familiar with that. :)

In fact, there's not much in the Bible about ordination at all. I'd be tempted to ask that former pastor for scripture.

3. Allan

Allan Active Member

I agree completely with WHATEVER here. There is no scripture for this, and I would personally say the 'deacon in trianing' must hold enough trust by you and the Church at large to even be considered for such a position that of itself is the qualifying mark for serving God's people.

4. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Your guest must hold a sacramental view of ordination ... that it conveys some sort of powers that are not available to ordinary mortals. I agree with those who have said that the Bible's view of what we call ordination is that it is a setting-aside, with power, for ministries, and is not "magic". A good many of our Baptist folks have imbibed sacerdotalism (i.e., assigning priestly characteristics to church leaders) from their contact with other traditions, but it is not appropriate for us who are invested in the priesthood of all believers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I've never been in a church where anyone other than deacons served the Lord's Supper. I'm guessing it's a carryover from Acts, where it's implied that the deacons served tables. But I don't find anything in the Bible that mandates that only ordained men may serve the elements.

I'd be happy if somebody could show it to me, because I like the tradition.

6. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

This is one has more to do with tradition than with a clear mandate from Scripture. Tom is correct about the origin of the doctrine. However, if one is going to apply the standard that only ordained deacons can served the Supper, they will probably only allow that ordained pastors can perform baptisms. As a pastor I see nothing wrong with allowing laymen to perform baptisms, especially if they were instrumental in leading someone to the Lord.

• Like Like x 1
  7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

HEY! There!

Been praying for you.

Great to see you out doing some work!

Yes, tradition says one thing. And yes, the Scripture does not indicate either way.

But, a simple solution would be to have this elder statesman help with an ordination service . . . .

;)

God bless

Wayne

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

To branch off a little...can a woman serve Lord's Supper?

9. Baptist_Pastor/Theologian

Hijack Alert!

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Umm....no. From the OP...

11. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Various members of our congregation, including members of the deacon body, serve Communion at our church.

I've been a member for a decade, and every time I have participated in Communion, women have participated in serving.

As other have mentioned previously, one does not have to be ordained to serve or participate in communion. The only restriction I would want would be that those who serve communion be active members of the congregation, keeping with the teaching that the observance is an expression of the "common unity" of those who share the meal.

Communion is a remembrance of Christ's death, a reminder of His present reality in our midst, and anticipation of his return when we will share this meal with Him in the fullness of His Kingdom.

12. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Better coupla' questions - first -Is there any reference to any 'pastor' :rolleyes: ever "serving the Lord's supper" in Scripture?

Second question: Is there any Scripture that a "pastor" ever baptized anyone?

I am aware of one where one some of us may 'conclude' is either a 'deacon' or an apostle (Philip, the evangelist, or is it Philip, the apostle?) baptised someone, namely the Ethopian eunuch.

Ed

13. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I don't understand something. Somehow I suddenly can't seem to find my 'monkey wrench'. :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

14. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In our congregation, the pastor often baptizes new converts for the sake of expediency, or merely because they responded to gospel through the means of the holistic ministry of the church. But it is not uncommon for those who have had the honor of presenting the gospel (in word and deed) to a person who becomes converted, to also have the honor of baptizing the new convert into our church family.

In any case, the baptismal candidate generally gets to choose who will conduct the ordinance. (And yes, women have baptized people in our baptistry.)

15. Pastor Sam

Pastor Sam Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am in total agreement with you. It is my feeling that a former Pastor should not interfere with what the present Pastor is doing.

16. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    12 year old zombie thread. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.