1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seven Year Tribulation Question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by saturneptune, Feb 26, 2013.

1. RLBosley

RLBosley Active Member

That is honestly the worst "exposition" of that scripture I've ever seen. Yes scripture indicates three locations that are all referred to as "Heaven" but there is nothing in that passage whatsoever to indicate that is what the angels were talking about. While there is nothing here that specifically mentions the second coming prior to these verses it is hinted at in verses 6 and 7 when the disciples ask if He will restore the Kingdom to Israel at this time. And Jesus basically replied by saying "Don't worry about that right now."

The phrase "come in" is a chopped up piece of the sentence. If you read it in the whole sentence it's obvious that the angel was not referring to Christ "coming in" to the third Heaven or anything such as that. But that Christ will "come (return) in the same way you saw him leave."

The NLT and NIV (though I dislike the NIV) make this plain:
    "Men of Galilee," they said, "why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!" NLT

“Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” NIV

Also, this passage wasn't spoken in a vacuum - you must remember that Christ had told His disciples before that He would go to prepare a place and would return to get them. This isn't a matter of dispy v covenant or pre v post v amill... this is simple orthodoxy to be honest.

#41 RLBosley, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is either the worst or best spin on a passage ever attempted on the bb. The simple part of the passage is to read it the way the author intended, which is literal. Using your method, maybe Jesus never really left? Maybe He is hiding here like the Muslims believe their 12 Imam is? Maybe he was never born? You can twist the entire Word to say what you want it to say. Amillenialsim is one of, if not the biggest false doctrine taught today.

3. MB

MB Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Talk about cherry pickin' literalizing. I suppose you even believe there are people among us who watched Christ preach Mat 24.

You tend to allegorize the literal and literalize what is clearly an allegory.
    MB

4. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    One observation I think most will agree on, the preterist (full or partial take your pick) do not have the abilty to restrain themselves from participating and injecting their opinions into a discussion for which they have nothing constructive to add.

So then again I state that in order to be a preterist, one must embrace reformed covenant theology. Again I ask, where does the Bible teach the backbone of covenant theology: a covenant or works, grace and or redemption? The Bible clearly and plainly states that some of the judgements in Revelation will be global and include gentiles and will result in the judgement of a significant percentage of the population. Jesus in the Olivet discourse states unless those judgements be cut short no one would survive. He compared it to the days of Noah. The preterist have no use for such plain Biblical teaching.