1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seventh-Day Adventism

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by ReformedBaptist, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe New Member

Oh Ed, you are funny :laugh:

I don't see anything constructive about being hard on anyone.
    I don't like it when someone doesn't answer a simple yes or no (not talking of Bob, haven't read his posts enough) or tries to deviate from answering it by trying to ask a question of you first. It's rude. I don't like sarcasm either.
    When one directs a question at someone, it's common courtesy to allow that person to answer without interrupting. My questions were simple yes or no's
    but Bob answered others and didn't mine, I guess he decided to go to bed.

#41 Joe, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2007
  2. AAA

AAA New Member

n/t...tagged

Thanks for the link: exadventist.com

3. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Joe -- sorry I missed this one yesterday.

Yes I believe Ellen White had the spiritual gift listed in 1Cor 12 as prophesy and also seen to be present in the church in 1Cor 14 "desire earnestly spiritual gifts especially that you may prophesy" - a church in which "EACH one has a revelation or teaching or tongue".

This would be the same as Agabus in the NT, Anna in the NT, Philips four daughters in the NT etc. A non-canonical prophet.

in Christ,

Bob

4. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey Ed that is very kind of you. Thank you for sharing that.

in Christ,

Bob

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    In Acts 17:11 the teaching of Paul was being tested against scripture "sola scriptura" to see IF the things spoken to them by Paul were SO.

Even in the case of Paul they did not start with "whatever Paul says is infallible so just believe it" - how much more is it the case with a non-canonical writer like Ellen White?

The point is that only God is infallible. If the message is truly from God then IT must be correct -- and to know that you have to TEST it against the Bible just as they did in Acts 17:11.

1. That is the approach I take with Ellen White --

2. She had a lot to say on subjects that are in line with what SDA doctrine states -- claiming that this was a message from God. So IF SDA doctrine is incorrect (from a sola scriptura POV) on those doctrines that she endorsed specifically as something God gave a message about -- then she is a false prophet.

This is why I keep saying that this is much easier than many suppose. No SDA would argue that if you are STARTING from a non-SDA doctrinal view of scripture THEN you should find Ellen White's messages claimed to have been from God - to be in harmony with your view of scripture.

How much more direct can this be??

in Christ,

Bob

6. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Again - I don't understand this line of reasoning given that non-SDAs are NON-SDAs and that Ellen White's messages were very much in line with SDA doctrine.

HOW in the world can anyone expect a non-SDA to be doctrinally satisified with SDA Doctrine????

in Christ,

Bob

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    That is best interpretation of what the Bible says on that point. Whether Ellen White thought the same thing is beside the point.

(I think we had an entire thread on that subject without needing to ask Ellen White what she thought about it):thumbs:

in Christ,

Bob

8. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    This is the same question I am attempting to have answered in the thread "Authorative Writings" I started for this very purpose.

I have no problem with White as being a Christian author for right living. But what I have tried to get answered is her writings concerning christian doctrines. Are they fallible or not according to the SDA church? Why can't this answer be a straight "yes" or "no". I always get the merry go round!!

Are the writings (not EGW) infallible? Yes or no?

God Bless! :thumbs:

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I just love it when you claim to be confused over the easy stuff. Are you pretending to say that after reading my post above that i appear to say that "Ellen White is GOD and GOD alone is infallible, so maybe I mean Ellen White is infallible no matter what"???:laugh:

Going back to the "Authorotative writings thread" started as a way to discuss Ellen White --

#49 BobRyan, Oct 2, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2007
  10. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: The Merry-go-round you feel you are on is one of your own making. This is the second time BR has stated this in the last few hours. What’s our point Steaver? If God only is infallible, how does this not answer your question directly?

I would like to comment about the ‘eye witnesses’ mentioned earlier, that were less than flattering about some actions of those involved in the SDA movement. I am not defending or judging any actions of Ellen White or any others in particular, but I would add some caution in judging them as some are obviously doing. There has not been a real movement of God that I have read about in which there have not been some strange antics involved. Read about the revivals of religion this planet has been privileged to encounter.

We should be careful with our judgment of what we think we see or the testimonies of what others say they think they saw and certainly exercise caution in who or what we accredit the strange actions of those involved. We may be found to be at direct antipodes with God’s very Holy Spirit in the end. That is not a place I desire to be found. I will always try to error on the side of caution in this regard.

Examine the case of those mentioned in Acts at Pentecost. Eye witnesses claimed they were drunk! So much for the validity of some eye witnesses. I personally might wonder about any that have not done anything in the Spirit that would be seen by others as strange or unusual.:)

11. Heavenly Pilgrim

We all have witnessed how so many churches today are shying away from their old titles of Baptist, Assembly of God, Nazarene etc. in adoption new names less likely to stir up old controversy. Could it be that some are indeed in need of, and possibly long over due, of following suit? Certainly no one on this list would be critical of that would they? :)

12. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I wonder how God would transform all of us if in fact the same could be said of the rest of us following your lead? Would there be any besides myself that would vow to pray for each one they communicate with on the list? That might even make a good requirement for posting. :)

13. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Robertson is his book "The White Truth" which was a reponse to a book called "The White Lie" which exposed White's plagairism, Robertson wrote:

""The influence of the spirit of prophecy is woven into the warp and woof of Adventist faith, life and organization . . . What we are as a church is a reflection of our faith in the divine authority evident in the writings of Ellen G. White."

What does SDAism teach about White's "inspiration" ?

Is Ellen White's inspiration equal to that of the Bible?

According to the White Estate folks, White's writings are of the same quality as Scripture but not for the same purpose. Huh?

My initial impression is that the SDA church, or at least the author of the above quote, does not understand divine inpsiration. The word inspiration in our BIble is a poor translation, IMO, of Theopneustos. It appears that the SDA church is teaching that White's writings are Theopneustos but given for a different function than the Scriptures.

When the Scripture speaks of inspiration it is Theopneustos, God-breathed, or breathed out by God. Whiteestate would do well to remember that what they learned about others being filled with the Holy Spirit and speaking prophetically, they learned from Theopneustos Scripture.

It is then greatly confusing, or worse, double-speak, to say that White's writings/speech is of the same quality as Holy Scripture yet not profitable for doctrine. The fact that the Apostle's words are God-breathed makes them Scripture. If they are saying White's words are of the same quality, then the words should be infallible, inerrant, and Scripture. To make the distinction they did casts doubt on the very Scriptures themselves.

#53 ReformedBaptist, Oct 2, 2007
  14. skypair

skypair Active Member

Bob -- it is possible to lose your "earthly" salvation and not lose your eternal salvation. This is your error -- calling lost sanctification as if it were lost justification.

Simply put, we are "saved by His death" eternally (OSAS, justification) and "much more saved by His life" in this life, Rom 5:10 (sanctification). It's the difference between the condition of your soul eternally and of your spirit which must be "revived daily," 1Cor 15:31.

Know it or not (even if YOU are saved) YOU are severed right now from the body of Christ by your sin --- even the sin you commit here in your biblical ignorance. Do you notice that the body has severed YOU? That you are "as a stranger?"

skypair

#54 skypair, Oct 2, 2007
  15. skypair

skypair Active Member

Bob --- SDA, like Calvinism, is just another "systematic theology," a "mold" into which MAN has poured scripture trying to describe God logically or philosophically. Let's start with scripture and not SDA doctrinal statements.

skypair

16. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everytime when we commit sins, we are fallen from the Grace.
    According to your theology, everytime when we commit sins, we lose the salvation, then we get salvation again by good works again, then we lose the salvation again. It means that your Holy Spirit comes in and goes out every day. My God the Holy Spirit is not hanky panky like that !

Otherwise, you may not commit any sins at all so that you may not lose the salvation until death. You may excuse that you don't commit the un-repented sins. But even it is a lie when we read 1 John 1.

Aaron confessed all the inequities of Israel unto the Scape Goat ( Lev 16:21). Do you confess your sins to Satan? or to Jesus Christ?

Did God need Satan for the redemption work?

17. Joe

Joe New Member

I didn't ask if you felt she had the gift of prophesy or any details, I only asked you two simple questions in which I wanted a simple yes or no. Well try again, but please be courteous enough to let me know you don't want to answer. I'll do the same, it's our right not to answer anything we choose.

Again, WITH A SIMPLE YES OR A NO. That's all, no details, no explanations.

1. Do you believe Ellen White is a Messenger from God?
    2. Do you believe she is/was a Prophet?

A few posts back I gave my opinion concerning people who avoid yes or no questions, so expect me to follow through with expecting that courtesy from you.

18. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Yes, I would. True Christians should be straightforward about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. If they are Baptists, then tell people they are Baptists.

19. ByGracethroughFaith

ByGracethroughFaith New Member

Sure, kind of like this, having denied the atonement, Ellen White is currently enduring the torment she did not believe existed.

Martin Luther was saved while he was still in the RC church, not because of it but in spite of it; yet once saved, he left it and testified against it. Those who profess to be the Lord's people among the JW's Mormons SDA's etc. are to do the same.

BGTF

20. Joe

Joe New Member

We don't know Ellen White is enduring any torment, c'mon now. And what do you mean she denied torment existed BGTF?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.