1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Seventh-day Adventist Church 150 years old

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by BobRyan, May 26, 2013.

1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    You ask that question as if the premise is actually true. Why are you doing that? Surely you did not actual "Read" "[FONT=&quot]Testimonies on Sexual Behavior, Adultery, and Divorce[/FONT]", or the book "Patriarch's and Prophets" to see IF your premise was even true. Surely you are just sticking with your tried-and-true "make stuff up then use it as an accusation" - right?

(Or maybe you are about to really surprise me here.).

in Christ,

Bob

#21 BobRyan, May 28, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2013
  2. The Biblicist

The Biblicist Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The Spirit of truth does not cooperate with the Spirit of error! Ellen G. White is a documented false prophetess many times over (Deut. 13:1-5). False prophets teach false doctrines (1 Tim. 4:1). False prophets originate false churches (SDA). The fruit is only as good as the tree and the tree of SDA is a false prophtess.

3. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    As compelling as simple name calling is to those not inclined to study the subject at hand - it is not as compelling to unbiased objective observers. This is the lesson comes to us out of the dark ages - in this age of enlightenment and full access to the Bible.

More people are needed who will appreciate this not-so-subtle detail.

In the mean time it is your own "Baptist preacher" - William Miller that is so helpful in establishing the Premill Adventists and your own Seventh-day Baptist - Rachael Oaks that is so helpful in turning Adventists into "Seveth-day Adventists" and it is your own "Baptist Confession of Faith " (even as edited by C.H. Spurgeon) that is arguing the case that D.L. Moody also makes for the Ten Commandment, Moral Law of God - given to Adam in Eden and binding on the saints today - as the Commandments of God - under the New Covenant.

All the name-calling in the world is not going to erase those historic facts. And I think we both know it.

in Christ,

Bob

#23 BobRyan, May 28, 2013
  4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Who said we claim him?

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    OK - I guess all I am saying is that when a Baptist Church calls up one of their own and declares him to be a Baptist Preacher - it is not the same thing as an SDA church calling someone to preach.

So if you want to blame what Baptist churches do on Catholics or Methodists or Adventists - go ahead. I am just saying that it does not carry much weight with the rest of us when you try out that solution.:laugh:

While Miller was a member of a Baptist church in Low Hampton he began preaching and publishing to Baptist readers and congregations. In 1832 Miller submitted a series of sixteen articles to the Vermont Telegraph, a Baptist newspaper. The first of these was published on May 15, and Miller writes of the public's response: "I began to be flooded with letters of inquiry respecting my views; and visitors flocked to converse with me on the subject."[2]

But if you say we should give the credit to the Methodists or someone else - fine.

And I am pretty sure that Rachael Oak's views on the 4th commandment - so consistent with the Seventh-day Baptist church from which she came - are not rejected by them today.

And I guess there are still one or two Baptists who like D.L. Moody agree with the Baptist Confession of Faith - that C.H. Spurgeon was so happy about.

in Christ,

Bob

#25 BobRyan, May 28, 2013
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about this connection:
    David Koresh
    From Southern Baptist to 7th Day Adventist
    From 7th Day Adventist to Branch Davidians

So you must be proud that the founder of a new religion came out of the 7DA!

7. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Is it your claim that William Miller at some point renounced his Baptist beliefs?

If so - I never read about it.

in Christ,

Bob

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    From Wiki: Shortly after his move to Poultney, Miller rejected his Baptist heritage and became a Deist. In his biography Miller records his conversion: "I became acquainted with the principal men in that village [Poultney, Vermont], who were professedly Deists; but they were good citizens, and of a moral and serious deportment. They put into my hands the works of Voltaire, [David] Hume, Thomas Paine, Ethan Allen, and other deistical writers."[2]
    from Wiki:

But my previous was not whether or not Miller denounced his Baptist heritage - but rather to counter you point.
    You are trying to tell us a Baptist founded Adventest.
    So, are you proud that David Koresh a 7th Day Adventist founded the Branch Davidians?

9. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    From that same wiki page we have this - (just two paragraphs after the point where you stopped your quote above)

If you read my posts carefully I never claim that William Miller was ever a Seventh-day Adventist. My claim was that the distinctives teaching about premillennialism and the day for year principle applied consistently from Daniel 7 straight through to Daniel 9 and the 490 years for the 70 weeks of Daniel 9 - was Miller's contribution.

However in Miller's day -- all the Millerites were called "Adventists" so you may have slipped up there.

As for your claim that David Koresh -- or more accurately - Vernon Wayne Howell, founded the Branch Davidians remains to be seen. I thought they existed long before Howell. Maybe I missed something there. If there is a single doctrine that the Branch Davidians claim they got from Wayne - I would like to know what it is.

in Christ,

Bob

10. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

They came out from us, but they were not of us.
    :tonofbricks:

11. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question is - did William Miller ever come out from the Baptist Church after his return from Deism - his return to the Baptist Church? As far as I know - he died a Baptist.

12. Wherever You Go

Wherever You Go New Member

I just hope he died trusting in Christ for his sins.

13. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What is amazing is that you dare to associate names like Moody and Spurgeon as somehow endorsing a Cult that was founded upon false revealtions of a false prophetess!

14. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    What is amazing is that you think that name-calling solves the problem you have in your own contradictions of Spurgeon and D.L. Moody on those very points.

15. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    the ONLY thing that happened in 1844 ios that satan got another Cult to arise from false revealtions, as he has Mormons and JW also!

FALSE prophets/Apostles all of them!

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    you keep referring to "name calling", but the truth is Ellen White was a FASLE prophetess, and ANY who hold to her views in the SDA need to repent before God, and come out of there!

17. Walter

Walter Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is a common occurrence on this board. I'm kinda used to it. :laugh:

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They BOTh held to the Gospel of Jesus, the SDA holds to the Gospel according to Ellen White!

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And then of course I recently found out from members here - about a surprising level of consistency with the Baptist Confession of Fath 1689 with it's teaching about the moral law of God being the TEN Commandments - given to mankind in Eden.
    http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm#part19

And with the 1689 Confession stating that Genes 2:3 is the giving of the 4th commandment to mankind.

and with C.H Spurgeon's affirmation of it -
    "This ancient document is the most excellent epitome of the things most surely believed among us. It is not issued as an authoritative rule or code of faith, whereby you may be fettered, but as a means of edification in righteousness. It is an excellent, though not inspired, expression of the teaching of those Holy Scriptures by which all confessions are to be measured."

http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/creeds/bcof.htm

And also thanks to members here for explaining certain consistencies with the General Baptists and of course Free Will Baptists.

===============================

Which of course would just get us more rant and name-calling from Y1 -

Indeed. But I think to be fair there are really just a couple that seem to offer nothing-but-name-calling as their "contribution".

in Christ,

Bob

20. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Wow. Some 1850 + years late a 'church' comes from 'nowhere' and emerges and attempts to celebrate. Oh how marvelous that after such a long period this sect comes along to straighten out Christ's Bride.

Hmmmm. Then there is that universal church that has existed since the resurrection of Christ.

Wonder which is correct, the one that came about 150 years back or so, or the one that has always existed since the Cross?

My fate is in the latter.

The other? None other than a false gospel bearing sect.